What's new

Had to use an electric shaver this morning. Oh, the horror!

Because we had overnight guests, "my" bathroom has reserved for them. I ended up having to share the bathroom that "belongs" to SWMBO. The timing of my shave could not have been worse. I had just finished the WTG pass on my cheeks, which is where I start, when the lady of the house announced that I was welcome to get out of the bathroom. I rinsed off the remaining shave soap (it was C&E Sienna) and dried my face. Since we would be going out very soon, I had to finish with the electric that I keep around for such emergency purposes.
So, I say unto those brethren who may still be trying to hone their technique and may have some doubts about SE, DE, or straight shaving, just go back to the method of shaving that drove you here in the first place. Just one shave with the old method will give you new confidence and will inspire you to carry on and continue your wet-shaving adventure.

When I get an injury to the face, or a spot of poison oak, or there is some other reason I cannot wet shave, I have to use the electric.
Leaves me feeling aggravated, somehow. Antsy.
And I wonder how many pounds of whisker dust the human lungs can ingest without injury over many years of electric shaving.

I keep my Fusion handles and 4 cartridges. I don't know why, I just do. There are 4 cart's left in the holder. I open the shave drawer and there they are. I am less than 45 days into DE shaving and don't intend to reverse course, but there they are.

To be fair do you use a preshave lotion with your electric?, and how often do you clean the cutters and foil. How often do you replace the foil and cutters?. From time to time I still use my Braun 565 and with proper care it gives me just as close and comfortable a shave as a blade, sometimes smoother since I'm not scraping skin. Electric shavers aren't all that bad as long as you find the one that works for you and maintain it properly.

Clayton

I have cleared the house of the sundry electrics I rec'd as gifts over the years. However, I have kept a gyroscopic razor-you pull a spring loaded cord repeatedly getting the gyroscope flying and spinning the blades. It has quite a bit of torque and is fun to use. Unfortunately, it shaves like a Norelco type razor and leaves my face burning and red. Better to use hand cream or bar soap and a bic disposable over the kitchen sink with the window as a mirror!!

I have no trouble using an electric if under a time crunch but my wife doesn't dare try to order me around. This SWMBO mindset is something I've never understood.

I've tried 3 or 4 electric shavers over the years, never found any of them to work for me, & I don't have a really heavy beard growth.
If I was too rushed to shave properly, I guess I'd resort to a cartridge razor, do just one pass & accept that the shave isn't going to be as close as usual.
Or just be a few minutes late!
matt.

I still use my Braun PocketGo 370 reciprocating shaver for my second shave on date nights. Gets closer than I have ever been able to get with any blade and doesn't nick or burn. Does take me 20 minutes though.

Im glad my lady doesn't try to be a control freak. She lets me do my thing. I find it funny here are those woman that when its an event they want to go to their on time but the other way around their always "fashionable late"

OP, what next? She has invaded the sanctity of the shave den, allowed others to take it over, and forced you to use an electric? This all adds up to there being far deeper relationship issues. Hope you had a pre-nup!

OP, what next? She has invaded the sanctity of the shave den, allowed others to take it over, and forced you to use an electric? This all adds up to there being far deeper relationship issues. Hope you had a pre-nup!

I look at it this way: A 2nd class shave is better than an argument before having to meet other people. The emotion can carry over. Been there, done that, and it ain't pretty. There are better things about which to exercise my self-perceived authority, such as demanding that I not be interfered with while watching the NY Giants, something SWMBO is great about. Besides, "my" bathroom was taken over by my stepson and his family, so I'm not upset. Despite the passion we express about our shaving hobby, it's only a shave, not a matter of life and death.

I was considering using my electric as I've been advised by doctor not to shave for 2 weeks and I look horribly unkempt. This post had made me reconsider.

To be fair do you use a preshave lotion with your electric?, and how often do you clean the cutters and foil. How often do you replace the foil and cutters?. From time to time I still use my Braun 565 and with proper care it gives me just as close and comfortable a shave as a blade, sometimes smoother since I'm not scraping skin. Electric shavers aren't all that bad as long as you find the one that works for you and maintain it properly.

Clayton

Witch..... Blasphemy...

To the dunking pool with ye...

proxy.php

I think the whole bashing electric razor thing is silly. There's a reason that most men shave with them. A good razor from Braun, Panasonic, Norelco, etc. give a perfectly acceptable shave but it's boring and the fun of brushes, products, various DE razors, and the superior shave you can get with a DE once you learn how makes DE shaving fun. Electrics take shaving back to a chore. But the all or none mindset is, well, not for me.

And stefa_no, who do you want to trust, your doctor or people, whose backgrounds you don't know, posting opinions on a forum?

After switching to proper shaving (I'd been using electric razors for nearly 30 years), I tried my old Braun just once, out of curiosity. It was an experience that I shall never repeat.

Top Bottom