What's new

Had to use a cartridge today. Yikes. (A DE shaver testimonial)

I know it sounds crazy but when I used Mach 3 carts (years and years), I would use them and never remember how long it had been on the razor and would change it "just because". Then a few years ago I decided to endurance test a Mach 3 and got 75 shaves on one cart but only quit using it because I had become thoroughly bored and wanted to get back to DE. I had started stropping it on denim around shave #30 and though it was beginning to feel rough toward the end, it was still cutting and would have gone on past 75 if I had pushed it.

These were all one-pass shaves with an additional ATG pass on the cheeks and minor neck touchup.

I used to get about 60 shaves with my M3.
Most people on this board were quite surprised at that.
Tugs quite a bit for the last quarter.

For the vast majority of men, millions, cartridges work just fine. I’ve known quite a few guys, who are still on the forums, who have switched back to carts from using high end DE’s for better shaves.

I use all the top DE razors today but I would be lying if I didn’t admit, with good wet shaving prep, a Mach 3 Turbo or Fusion gives at least as good a shave as my Wolfman, Timeless or Paradigm.

Bought online M3/Fusion Blades are getting pretty reasonably priced and are wonderful tools.

For the vast majority of men, millions, cartridges work just fine. I’ve known quite a few guys, who are still on the forums, who have switched back to carts from using high end DE’s for better shaves.

I use all the top DE razors today but I would be lying if I didn’t admit, with good wet shaving prep, a Mach 3 Turbo or Fusion gives at least as good a shave as my Wolfman, Timeless or Paradigm.

Bought online M3/Fusion Blades are getting pretty reasonably priced and are wonderful tools.
One disadvantage I found with the cartridges is that it was hard to get them completely clean after each use. A quick rinse was not enough (I do have hard water, which may be a factor). I think that's the main reason I wasn't getting a full 30 shaves, which is the number a Fusion cartridge should be good for according to Gillette. I can get a great shave with a brand new cartridge, no question. Also, I notice there are inexpensive clones of the Fusion cartridge, I assume made in China. Does anyone here have experience with those?

One disadvantage I found with the cartridges is that it was hard to get them completely clean after each use. A quick rinse was not enough (I do have hard water, which may be a factor). I think that's the main reason I wasn't getting a full 30 shaves, which is the number a Fusion cartridge should be good for according to Gillette. I can get a great shave with a brand new cartridge, no question. Also, I notice there are inexpensive clones of the Fusion cartridge, I assume made in China. Does anyone here have experience with those?

Haha that reminded me trying on the past shave 7 days of stubble with a Fusion. Press and press and clogging that plastic piece of....
with hair, couldn't rinse it no matter what, hitting it all over the sink to unclog it. A nightmare.

DE till the world will be conquered by Aliens.

I notice there are inexpensive clones of the Fusion cartridge, I assume made in China. Does anyone here have experience with those?
the only one I tried before going to DE was personna wich is supposed to be an israeli brand and they are very good but they are not as readily available like gillete, I found them at my local dollar general

Yes, the clones are not as good in my use. Gillette uses quality steel and it shows in use. The M3/Fusion are great on one or two days growth but for anything heavier I’m reaching for the Karve D, Paradigm 17-4 or the Timeless.

I have nothing bad to say about Gillette. They made my all time favorite blade I’ve stockpiled, the Wizamet Iridiums, at Gillette’s St Pertersburg plant.

Haha that reminded me trying on the past shave 7 days of stubble with a Fusion. Press and press and clogging that plastic piece of....
with hair, couldn't rinse it no matter what, hitting it all over the sink to unclog it. A nightmare.

DE till the world will be conquered by Aliens.
Right, I can imagine. If you have a heavy beard and don't shave for 7 days, the Fusion is not ideal.

I decided to buy these Schick Twin disposable razors at CVS today. They where on sale for 5.99 minus 4$ coupon = 2$ for a pack of 15
proxy.php

I wanted to try them as a travel razor. The performance was actually not bad at all I have to confess. Felt alot different than a DE but it got the job done in my same 3 pass pattern that I use with my DE.

It feels like a Gilettte Tech level of mildness. The overall shave was not as close as what I got yesterday with my Maggards V2 OC and a 7 day old Indian wilkie.

In all honesty if saving money was my only concern I would just stock up on these Schick Twins when they go on sale like this and shave strictly with these plastic disposable razors everyday. The end results are higher than a socially acceptable shave. In fact it is just a step below a DFS really. And thats with only 1 shave that I have done, I am sure there is a learning curve that would yield better results with this same razor.

But overall, I will stay loyal to DE shaving for everyday. The DE shaves are more technical and challenging and the end results are a closer more comfortable shave. But these Shick Twins are going to be my travel razor on an airplane. And I will bring a coin of Arko and no brush. Now thats what I call a lightweight shaving kit

Has anyone used the cheap plastic razors from the Dollar Store? Would those do well for traveling on a week long trip or is it worth the money to get Mach 3 or equivalent?

I wonder if I shaved with one of those cheap razors if it would give me weepers/irritation?

proxy.php

Those are the horrible razors I bought on vacation a few years ago, and ended up with numerous cuts, weepers and a razor burned face! - Bought them at sort of a dollar store or mart that was near were we stayed.

Since that time, I did try an old (but brand new in the pack) Fusion, from when they'd mail them to try, hoping you'd continue and buy the carts. Didn't care for the shave, it was tuggy and not smooth. I can make a single pass with my Rockwell with plate 6, or a Slim on 9, and get as good a shave. - It also kept clogging, which was frustrating. Ended up just tossing the Fusion into the trash, grabbing a DE and finishing the shave.

Disclaimer, I still have another Fusion sample still in it's packaging, should need to fly or want to torture myself. :a52:

“I didn’t start to save money. How can you when you toss a DE blade every week or sooner and your cartridge razors were lasting 60 days?”

60 days? 60 days? Seriously?
I never got more than 5 or 6 shaves from a cartridge.

Same here. Day 4 was tolerable. Day 5 was barely tolerable. Day 6- you’re kidding right.

By day 6- the thing would drag and skip, pulling hair more than cutting it. I’d be a red, bloody mess that felt like I dipped my head in battery acid.

DE blade- good for 4 solid shaves. 5th is ok but comfortable. 6 is pushing it.

Better shave, more comfortable and lot less cash.

Cool to hear everyone’s different experiences!
My most recent cartridge and the one I still have is the Harry’s razor. It’s okay, but not in the league with the Fusion Proglide I used for years and years. That one actually gave pretty good consistent shaves, but I was getting tired of how insanely expensive the heads had become.
I’m in awe of the person that could get 60 or even 30 shaves our of a cartridge head though. After 8-10 shaves the rubber strips had shredded and fallen off, the comfort strip was all but gone, and the blades had dulled to the point of torturous yanking and tugging of the whiskers. Keeping the blades clear was a constant headache! I’d ususlly push a head to two or three weeks to be economical but it was not very pleasant! ;)
Twice a year I’d have to replace the handle too, as the plastic attachment joint would eventually break.
But to be fair, the Proglide with fresh blades was a surprisingly good performer despite its weaknesses.

PS: Yes, I’ve used those bagged plastic disposables before and they were like a nightmare to use, at least for me. Flimsy, not very effective, and they would cut and burn me up nice!

There are some testimonials for the benefits of stropping your cartridges on your arm. This way they seem to stay sharp for a year. Some people also say that the comfort strips may be kept intact if you let them dry properly.

Razorpit and some other systems also say they sharpen and clean your cartridges, with the help of a rubber strop plus some shaving foam.

Some say, by using cold water to rinse your razors you can extend the cartridge life by twice.

In short, cartridges, if kept well maintained, seem to work quite a while. And of course if you keep your expectations at a limit :)

Last edited:
Cool to hear everyone’s different experiences!
My most recent cartridge and the one I still have is the Harry’s razor. It’s okay, but not in the league with the Fusion Proglide I used for years and years. That one actually gave pretty good consistent shaves, but I was getting tired of how insanely expensive the heads had become.
I’m in awe of the person that could get 60 or even 30 shaves our of a cartridge head though. After 8-10 shaves the rubber strips had shredded and fallen off, the comfort strip was all but gone, and the blades had dulled to the point of torturous yanking and tugging of the whiskers. Keeping the blades clear was a constant headache! I’d ususlly push a head to two or three weeks to be economical but it was not very pleasant! ;)
Twice a year I’d have to replace the handle too, as the plastic attachment joint would eventually break.
But to be fair, the Proglide with fresh blades was a surprisingly good performer despite its weaknesses.
PS: Yes, I’ve used those bagged plastic disposables before and they were like a nightmare to use, at least for me. Flimsy, not very effective, and they would cut and burn me up nice!
I used the Fusion for many years too, and I agree 100 percent with both your posts. And I resented paying so much for a product that didn't work as well as it could and should have. The basic idea of a pivoting head is brilliant, the execution less so. I believe the problem is not that Gillette's engineers are dummies, but that their focus is too much on convenience, ease and quickness of use rather than quality and comfort of shave and product durability.

Comfort strip? I always figured they’re a gimmick. OTOH I have always used a mug and brush, so lubrication was never an issue. I started shaving with a DE when I was a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I want to use plastic razors is when I want to shave the area of the cheekbones, because I am bored of putting a blade inside the DE to shave such a small area.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've used the ultra cheapo disposables in the past, and they do a decent enough job if that's all you've got. However, I do remember that I have to shave very differently with them... and it's been so long since I used them, that I'd have to learn that all over again.

The single blade Bic Metal disposable (metal guard, springy plastic handle) shaves very similarly to a DE. It feels very different in the hand because it is light and springy, but ....

Three times in the past week, I've slept 15 minutes longer than I usually do.
As a result, Harry's and Gillette Guard have been pressed into service, along with brushless cream.

The plastic, if you want to cut several days of growth, it is very tuggy and gets easily filled with hairs and it is impossible to rinse it of. No plastic razor for me ever could be rinsed after some use.

But if someone shaves every day with a plastic, let God forgive him, he may have a decent result.

Plastic razors are devil's tools and should be stayed away from us.

Top Bottom