What's new

Had to use a cartridge today. Yikes. (A DE shaver testimonial)

This is the busiest time of year for my work....
Today I was meeting a potential new client, and in danger of running late. I grabbed my old cartridge razor for the first time in at least 6 months. I needed a quick convenient shave.
Wow, did it suck.
I did everything else normally, brush, Tabac soap, shave after shower, 3 passes, etc.... the “modern” cartridge just allowed me to go faster.
Amazing how cheap and flimsy the razor felt. I was not in control as much as a nicely weighted and balanced razor. I had to use pressure to get it to do much of anything, and it left so much stubble, particularly in the tricky areas, with extra passes on those spots making no difference.
It was a passable shave, but my neck, chin and upper lip felt “gritty” all day.
It was driving me nuts, so I did a second shave in the evening with my trusty Merkur Progress. I relaxed when I felt silky smooth again.
I realized that the switch to classic DE shaving has not just been a lark, but a genuine practicality.
Since my learning curve took several months, I hadn’t realized how much better quality the DE shaving has been compared to my old cartridge morning routine.

I should also take this opportunity to thank everyone here that helped me and others during that learning curve. :)
I’m scrapping the plastic for good.

Before switching to DE and occasionally a straight, I used cartridges, a Philips rotary electric, and a Braun foil electric. All of them sucked. I could get a passable shave by using the Braun followed by the Philips or Wahl clippers followed by the cartridge, but ingrowns were routine.

Now if I really need a quick shave, I use just the Braun. I don’t get a great shave, but at least it won’t cause i growns if I use a DE the next day.

If I’m in a hurry but still have a LITTLE time, I use a Mamba, Game Changer, or Variant turned way down plus Aveeno Therapeutic goo. It’s not Wholly Kaw, but it isn’t terrible.

Worst case, but need to shave? Single pass, rather than two. It's been months since I last did it that way. Haven't missed a shave in over 4 months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well, at least you know what you left behind, since I switch to traditional shaving 7 years ago never looked back, and my coworker shaves at work and leaves his nasty cartridges in the shower and it literally nauseates me

I haven’t used a cartridge in over two years except to shave the back of my neck. I should try it just to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When I have tried a DE razor or a DE blade that hasn't agreed with me, I always fall back to my trusty Schick Super 2. It's always in the drawer waiting to be used. It has my back.

Interesting. I find now that I have developed much better technique using a DE, my rare shaves with a cartridge are usually excellent. That's if I use my traditional soap and brush with the cartridge. What modern cartridge did you use. I get great shaves with a Mach 3 Turbo with brush and soap.

I haven’t used a cartridge in over two years except to shave the back of my neck. I should try it just to compare.
Been there, done that. A Mach 3 isn’t as bad as a 5 or 6 blade cartridge, but it still causes ingrowns for me.

One or two passes with a Bic Metal single blade disposable will give a surprisingly decent shave. It is probably as close as you can get to a DE or SE shave with a disposable. Granted, it feels weird because it is so light and a bit springy in the handle, but it responds well to good technique.

I regularly use the Paradigm 17-4, Wolfman .74, Timeless .95 and the amazing new Karve D plate.

I travel a lot and now only use a cartridge for travel. Mach 3 Turbo or Fusion Proglide. Perfect shaves every time easily matching my DE’s above. Wet shaving has eliminated any problem carts might cause. No more than two uses on any cart blade is the key.

The only cart razor I keep in reserve for nostalgia purposes is the Gillette Good News. That said I have probably over 100 Mach 3 cart refills I hoarded over the years. One day I need to give them to one of my boys and depending on their interest in using them either sell or PIF them out of the house. Despite the fact I've always considered the Mach 3 to be the best cart product Gillette made and have nothing against them personally, I'll never use one again.

Well, I used a cartridge razor today, a Gillette Vector 2 blade. It was... quite close and comfortable.

Of course I used cream and brush, so it was really a much more comfortable shave compared to my former canned foam plus cartridge routine. I don't think cartridge razors are evil.

Reading this, I sample the grittiness of my own cartridge shave today. It was a Gillette Sensor, the second day in a row. I used it due to time issues, knowing it would be a fast, presentable shave, but nowhere as close as a three-pass DE or SE.

I had gone to one-pass DE and SE shaves, then back to three-pass for the comfort and long lasting presentability. Feeling the invisible stubble, I'm wondering if I should use the Sensor for a time to get used to the grit, then back to one pass DE.

It gets into why we shave. A Sensor leaves me presentable into the early evenings, and, after 12 hours, I don't have stubble so long that I can measure it. It is only somewhat smooth in one direction. Rub XTG and ATG and you'll feel it. My shirt collars will also show it over time. But, to look presentable, the Sensor does the job and gives a comfortable shave. Really, if it wasn't for the price of the cartridges, I never would have gone back to SE or tried DE..

Still rather do a one-pass DE and SE. For those of us of a certain age, it feels traditional, and the blades are cheaper than cartridges.

Sorry! But you are correct. IMO carts have only two advantages:
1. Faster from start to finish, and
2. TSA approved (not the highest recommendation IMO):a13::a13::a13:

Yeah, I spent 25+ years using Panasonic wet/dry razors, with a light coat of Edge for Sensitive Skin (the only what that is actually 'slick') or a light soap, before returning to traditional wet shaving. On a couple of occasions when on traveling, I'd either forget to pack the razor, or the charge ran out and didn't have the charger along with me, resulting in a trip to the whatever local store was nearby for a disposable or cheap cartridge and cream. - I always ended up with more nicks & cuts than you can imagine, or a razor burn. Even my wife was like, 'what happened?' telling me not to use it again.

I don't relish the idea of having to pass TSA and use a cart or disposable ever again.

I haven't used a cartridge in probably five years, and I don't have any at the house. It's funny, I used cartridges for decades, but I don't remember how I shaved with them. Like I can't remember the pattern, pressure, number of passes, etc.

I haven't used a cartridge in probably five years, and I don't have any at the house. It's funny, I used cartridges for decades, but I don't remember how I shaved with them. Like I can't remember the pattern, pressure, number of passes, etc.
Same here. I think its because I didn't know any better back then so I never gave it any thought.

This is the busiest time of year for my work....
Today I was meeting a potential new client, and in danger of running late. I grabbed my old cartridge razor for the first time in at least 6 months. I needed a quick convenient shave.
Wow, did it suck.
I did everything else normally, brush, Tabac soap, shave after shower, 3 passes, etc.... the “modern” cartridge just allowed me to go faster.
Amazing how cheap and flimsy the razor felt. I was not in control as much as a nicely weighted and balanced razor. I had to use pressure to get it to do much of anything, and it left so much stubble, particularly in the tricky areas, with extra passes on those spots making no difference.
It was a passable shave, but my neck, chin and upper lip felt “gritty” all day.
It was driving me nuts, so I did a second shave in the evening with my trusty Merkur Progress. I relaxed when I felt silky smooth again.
I realized that the switch to classic DE shaving has not just been a lark, but a genuine practicality.
Since my learning curve took several months, I hadn’t realized how much better quality the DE shaving has been compared to my old cartridge morning routine.

I should also take this opportunity to thank everyone here that helped me and others during that learning curve. :)
I’m scrapping the plastic for good.
I had a similar experience recently when I flew somewhere with only a carry-on bag. I had one last unused Gillette Fusion cartridge back from when I abandoned them for good, and took it along. I was amazed at how hard I had to press and scrape it against my face to get it to do anything. Unlike you, I wasn't going to give up without a perfect BBS shave everywhere, and it was doable.

Been there, done that. A Mach 3 isn’t as bad as a 5 or 6 blade cartridge, but it still causes ingrowns for me.

One or two passes with a Bic Metal single blade disposable will give a surprisingly decent shave. It is probably as close as you can get to a DE or SE shave with a disposable. Granted, it feels weird because it is so light and a bit springy in the handle, but it responds well to good technique.

For some reason I don’t get ingrown hairs. My grandfather emphasized shaving WTG, and I never did a triple pass until 6 years ago.

My neck hair grows upwards, so accordingly, if I do WYG, XTG and finally ATG, I’m good. I guess it’s too short by the time I get to going ATG, that it doesn’t cut or pull the whiskers out from below the skin surface?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom