What's new

Had to throw it all away

Glad the cleaning worked. Wife said ours is felling a little warm in the fridge part, but the freezer part is working well. She moved a bunch of stuff from the fridge freezer to the chest freezer and we'll see how that works. May have to pull the fridge out and use the shop vac. on it if it doesn't straighten up. Thanks for the tip.

Looks like you are pretty self sufficient...due to necessity.

Kenmore, Whirlpool, and Frigidaire makes some good appliances...or used to. My little dorm sized beer fridge I have in my home office is a Kenmore. Had it for well over 15 years and it still works great. Just have to put it on a small dolly and move it out on the front porch to defrost the little freezer part every few months or so. My beer in there almost has ice on it.

The regular home one is a Frigidaire and has also worked great. When I need work done on one I usually call a local appliance repair shop. The shops around here work on about anything. It may take them awhile to get here since I'm so far out of town, but they have always done good work. You might call some of your local appliance repair shops and see if they work on Kenmore. Someone probably does.

I'm getting ready to get a window air conditioner to replace the Koldfront portable one we have to help out the central AC unit in the house. It makes a big difference in the electric bill by adding that to help the central air. The guy I talked to at a local furniture and appliance store said they had one the size I need and it is branded Crosley, but that it is made by Kenmore or Frigidaire. It is much more affordable than a good Friedrich window unit like we had when I was a kid. Only need it as a helper, not a main one. A window unit should be much quieter than the portable roll around one since the widow one has the compressor outside. The main problem with the portable one is the noise of the fan that doesn't shut off when the compressor does...it runs all the time.

My experience with Kenmore was such i didn't really even consider replacing the first fridge with anything other than another Kenmore. Our Kenmore range bought the same day in 1989 as that first fridge has had two fuses replaced, the oven light has it's own fuse... and the control panel power outlet is dead. Almost 30 years of hard use and the cost of two fuses and the usual appliance light bulb replacements have been spent on it.

The newest Kenmore fridge, some generic relabeled multi-brand unit, the control board is used in a bunch of different fridges, before the new board gets plugged in a code is entered on the board (found on a label inside the fridge) to identify the fridge, the program to run for that unit.

Shouldn't be too hard to find someone to work on the Kenmore and parts, tough part is separating the wheat from the chaff.
dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Aw, man. That made my heart sink, just reading it. It's good that the fridge still lives, though. I just made a note to pull ours out and give it a look. It's been a while.

Kenmore has never made its own stuff or operated a factory. Anything labeled Kenmore was always made by one of the other big appliance manufacturers. Often Whirlpool back in the day. Nothing wrong with that, Whirlpool always made reasonably good stuff.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That really sucks, all that wasted food and time.

In 2015 our fridge was discovered non-functioning on Dec.23 midnight, a Wednesday. Because of the holiday and weekend no one to service until Monday the 28th, the computer card was shot and replaced, he stuck a bunch of those in his truck every morning before heading out. Little food loss but the repair bill hurt.

That board lasted into July and died while my wife and daughter were in Greece, i had declined to go. This time nothing lost, my neighbour's 50 year old chest freezer easily swallowed our freezer contents and enough coolers and ice o cover for the fridge. That board was still under warranty but died on a Saturday so took 'til Tuesday for replacing, July 26, almost the third anniversary hope i haven't jinxed it.
dave

Ha you have some of the same luck as I do. Weird stuff happens at the edge of a long weekend.

Most of the Sears fridges were made by Whirlpool.

Page. 2.5-3 hours from everywhere. It’s a geographical oddity.

Looks like the cleaning I did worked. Fridge has been below 40 and above freezing all day.

After our last meltdown i bought a wifi(?) thermometer with a display that magnetically attaches to the outside of the fridge. A sensor for each part of the fridge, the display shows the two current temperatures as well as max/min temperature for each section since you last reset the display. Can also enable an alarm based on user set temperature for each sensor.

Walk into our kitchen and the display is there in your face, at the very least keeps you vigilante.

This is the one we have.
Refrigerator/Freezer Thermometer-Alarm - Lee Valley Tools

Ha you have some of the same luck as I do. Weird stuff happens at the edge of a long weekend.

Most of the Sears fridges were made by Whirlpool.

December is our nemesis, too many multi thousand dollar as well as other ambushes during that month.
dave

OH NO, that is the worst..... I had that happen with my freezer recently, except the plug which was not a GFCI went bad....

OH NO, that is the worst..... I had that happen with my freezer recently, except the plug which was not a GFCI went bad....

We had the opposite problem. Our GFCI plug in the garage was tied into circuits around the outside of the house. If it rained - which happens once in a while in AZ - the circuit would blow and the refrigerator would go out. I finally had the plug changed to a standard outlet.

We had the opposite problem. Our GFCI plug in the garage was tied into circuits around the outside of the house. If it rained - which happens once in a while in AZ - the circuit would blow and the refrigerator would go out. I finally had the plug changed to a standard outlet.
That's strange.... Every house is different... especially the 1930's home i live in :)

Top Bottom