What's new

Had to throw it all away

yesterday we had to make the 3 hour drive into civilization because this little town does not have what we needed. It was 108 degrees. While there we went by the good grocery store before coming home. There was an awesome sale on wild king salmon; I bought 1 fillet 2 pounds. I bought 4 red trout fillets. I then got into a discussion with the meat guy about the American wagyu they had and if it was really worth the cost. He pointed out the sale sign and he knocked a little extra off. I got 2 1lb New York strips. A few other things and some ice. We came home and I tossed everything in the fridge.

I got home from work today, got out the salmon and thought they smelled kind of weird. Son 2 opens fridge and says why is the milk spoiled? I looked at the analog fridge thermometer I always have in the fridge and it said 60 degrees. I checked the freezer and it was just fine. I opened the back and everything was running but very dirty. I sucked it all out and am now waiting to see if the fridge cools. I suspect I will have to order a control board.

Everything in the fridge went into the garbage.

I am really not happy right now.

That happened to me when we were on a road trip. Thank heavens my son was checking the house and discovered it before everything got really stinky. Freezer was thawed. Everything had to be thrown away. (including the fridge)

If the freezer is cold and the fridge is warm, your fan has either frosted up and is stuck, it has worn out and needs to be replaced, or you have too much stuff shoved in the freezer and it is plugging up the airflow to the fridge portion. If the freezer is working then the compressor and what not are good. Check that fan!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Ah that's no good.
My beer fridge was doing the same as you state. Freezer ok fridge running warmish.
Defrosted the freezer and problem solved. It's a auto defrost freezer but it had iced up past what the auto defrost cycle could fix.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ugh horrible
we had a fridge that would not keep cool enough. For a few years sticking a vacuum in the back solved that until year three that trick no longer worked
so sorry you had to toss all that food

I love wild caught salmon. It is bad to lose food, but loosing food of that quality is a real shame. When the temperature is 108 degrees, air conditioners, freezers and refrigerators have to work constantly. If they aren't in excellent condition, they struggle to survive.

Well that's a bummer. I remember having to thaw out where the freezer drained, it was plugged up with ice where it
drained down and out. Good luck

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
That sucks! I've had that kind of loss with a week long power failure, but that's a bad surprise. Sorry for your loss. Time to either kick something over or count your other blessings.

I opened the Bach and vacuumed all the dust out. Lots of but the worst part was a piece of insulation that, I guess keeps the compressor motor from making the metal access panel from heating too much, had come apart and might have gummed things up, but there was water in the defrost pan. the fridge is now at a chilly 38.

The freezer is pretty full so i’ll Clean that out after work today.

Yep 6 hour round trip. You get used to it and it really is a pretty drive.

Glad it’s doing better now.

Wow a 6 hour drive, at least it’s pretty. Sometimes I forget that not everyone lives in the big city.

That really sucks, all that wasted food and time.

In 2015 our fridge was discovered non-functioning on Dec.23 midnight, a Wednesday. Because of the holiday and weekend no one to service until Monday the 28th, the computer card was shot and replaced, he stuck a bunch of those in his truck every morning before heading out. Little food loss but the repair bill hurt.

That board lasted into July and died while my wife and daughter were in Greece, i had declined to go. This time nothing lost, my neighbour's 50 year old chest freezer easily swallowed our freezer contents and enough coolers and ice o cover for the fridge. That board was still under warranty but died on a Saturday so took 'til Tuesday for replacing, July 26, almost the third anniversary hope i haven't jinxed it.
dave

Recently had to replace our fridge too actually. The fridge was close to 30 years and just gave up, first the fridge part then the freezer gave up within a couple hours of each other. Went to 4 different stores to find a fridge that could be delivered that day.

Recently had to replace our fridge too actually. The fridge was close to 30 years and just gave up, first the fridge part then the freezer gave up within a couple hours of each other. Went to 4 different stores to find a fridge that could be delivered that day.

The fridge the troubled one replaced lasted 23 years and the only money put into it was for appliance light bulbs. Both Kenmore fridges. No idea who would service Kenmore in Canada now
dave

6 hours and over $100 of wasted meat?
I don't think I'd remain too calm after that.

Weird, just a couple weeks ago the fridge and the top of the freezer got too warm. And the water dispenser stopped working. Probably 20 years old but I really didn't want to replace it. If I had had any experience with this I would have known what to do for little cost, but I did call a guy in and $200 later he had a new defroster thermostat installed and the water dispenser line unfrozen. Fridge has been fine since. I like having a nice fridge with no electronics.

Sorry to hear that. Where in AZ do you live? The refrigerator in our garage is working overtime in this weather.

If the fridge is like mine the refrigerator part gets cold because a flap opens and cold air from the freezer is blown into the fridge. If the fridge is warm and freezer cold something is preventing that from happening... flap, fan might be iced up, or a sensor (in the fridge or freezer side) might be inop. Sadly some models seem to like to put sensors in the control board so instead of a $1.50 repair it is a couple hundred.

Sorry to hear that. Where in AZ do you live? The refrigerator in our garage is working overtime in this weather.

Page. 2.5-3 hours from everywhere. It’s a geographical oddity.

Looks like the cleaning I did worked. Fridge has been below 40 and above freezing all day.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Page. 2.5-3 hours from everywhere. It’s a geographical oddity.

Looks like the cleaning I did worked. Fridge has been below 40 and above freezing all day.

Glad the cleaning worked. Wife said ours is felling a little warm in the fridge part, but the freezer part is working well. She moved a bunch of stuff from the fridge freezer to the chest freezer and we'll see how that works. May have to pull the fridge out and use the shop vac. on it if it doesn't straighten up. Thanks for the tip.

Looks like you are pretty self sufficient...due to necessity.

The fridge the troubled one replaced lasted 23 years and the only money put into it was for appliance light bulbs. Both Kenmore fridges. No idea who would service Kenmore in Canada now
dave

Kenmore, Whirlpool, and Frigidaire makes some good appliances...or used to. My little dorm sized beer fridge I have in my home office is a Kenmore. Had it for well over 15 years and it still works great. Just have to put it on a small dolly and move it out on the front porch to defrost the little freezer part every few months or so. My beer in there almost has ice on it.

The regular home one is a Frigidaire and has also worked great. When I need work done on one I usually call a local appliance repair shop. The shops around here work on about anything. It may take them awhile to get here since I'm so far out of town, but they have always done good work. You might call some of your local appliance repair shops and see if they work on Kenmore. Someone probably does.

I'm getting ready to get a window air conditioner to replace the Koldfront portable one we have to help out the central AC unit in the house. It makes a big difference in the electric bill by adding that to help the central air. The guy I talked to at a local furniture and appliance store said they had one the size I need and it is branded Crosley, but that it is made by Kenmore or Frigidaire. It is much more affordable than a good Friedrich window unit like we had when I was a kid. Only need it as a helper, not a main one. A window unit should be much quieter than the portable roll around one since the widow one has the compressor outside. The main problem with the portable one is the noise of the fan that doesn't shut off when the compressor does...it runs all the time.

Top Bottom