What's new

Had my first straight razor shave yesterday night.

About a year ago I gave my brother a safety razor, a puck, a bowl and a brush. 5 months later he caught the straight bug so I bought him a nice vintage one from the BST here and he's been shaving with it ever since (bought stones and everything). So of course, on xmas 2016, he reciprocated by giving me a little straight starter kit and I finally found the appropriate gonads to try it out yesterday and it well surprisingly well! No cuts, nicks or weepers. A slight scratch that wasn't deep enough to bleed. I'm quite pleased with myself and enjoyed it enough to keep going at it, even though I won't ditch my safetys yet. I'll admit it took me much longer to shave than usual but still, pretty cool.

Well done it sounds like you are doing better than me with a straight razor. I'm going to have my third go tomorrow.

Sounds like a good start. Soon enough, the shaves will be faster. Straights are a lot of fun, even if just as an occasional thing. Enjoy the shaves!

Well done. :thumbup1: It gets better and better. Been at it for over 30 years, great change of pace and imho, the best "me" time a man can get. Plus, my GF loves watching me slice off my whiskers from as she puts it "back in the olden days of Lewis and Clark ". Manley satisfaction indeed.

Welcome to the dark side, I've been at it for 5 months. It's very rewarding, good luck and congratulations on the nice shave!

Another one has started the journey into the heart of darkness. It's a one way journey, but keep your best DE's. The day will come when someone close to you will ask for them to start their own shaving journey.

My advice as a razor collector is to try keep the number of straight razors to a minimum. Unlike DE's there are literally thousands of makers and models to choose among, each with their own story. If you open that door there will be no end to it.

Welcome[emoji2]

Thank you all gentlemen! For now, I don't see this as becoming my main way of shaving but I do intend to keep at it and get as good as I can. I'm a man who enjoys a challenge and love to learn so this is perfect, just as learning to shave with a DE was about 2 years ago.

I'm on week 2 and have finally started getting real good shaves. I thought it would be just a weekend thing but I could totally see it replacing my DE on a daily basis.

Top Bottom