What's new

Had my first "proper" shave today...

... and it wasn't a resounding success, in fact the whole experience left me feeling somewhat unfulfilled. I started out with images of reviving a centuries old tradition, notions of tapping into the collective male unconscious in order to enjoy the perfect shave, much like all those who have gone before me for I am a man and I have a whole new set of gadgets to play with. I started out with my Merkur Futur ( I know everyone suggests you start with an HD Classic, but that proved somewhat difficult to find iin the UK,) my e shavewhite tea cream and my men u premier synthetic shave brush (apologies to all you badger hair purists, but it had received good reviews and I was in a rush to get started.)
Then the problems began, I shook too much water out of my brush and overcompensated by filling the shave bowl with an excess of water, the resulting lather having the consistency of dish detergent. Also, I am not overly keen on my brush, the bristles felt very coarse on my face, also they seemed to want to go in the opposite direction to what I wanted them to, I know it is a shoddy workman who blames his tools but I can't see this brush working out for me in the long term.
Now to the actual shave, I started on a 3 ( I know you are supposed to start with a 1, but come on I am a man, full steam ahead with my new toys,)
I think that my technique is largely to blame for the poor results not the razor, but I did everything that I was supposed to; I pulled my skin taught with my free hand, rested the futur on my face at a 180 degree angle and slowly lowered it until I felt the blade bite (this never actually happened though) I settled on an approximate 30 degree angle and employed a north south stroke, slowly and smoothly, and nothing, my whiskers were still there.
I was so painstakingly slow that the cream seemed to dry out on my face making progress even more difficult. Also the harder I pressed the worse the results (although at this point I had yet to nick myself.)
So I relathered, the cream was even runnier now) and prepared for a second north south pass, with the blade opened up all the way to 6.
Once again the results were less than impressive, I seem to be having real trouble getting the blade in contact with my stubble. I lightened up on the last few strokes and seemed to be getting more positive results (nothing more impressive than with my mach 3 though.)
Although I didn't notice any pain when shaving afterwards I noticed quite a few small nicks on my chin ( I think the bleeding gave it away.)
So, I am willing to defer to the more experienced on this forum, what advice can you give an over eager rookie who is disillusioned. I know that my lathering needs a lot of work, I soaked my bowl and brush in hot water while I washed my face, emptied the bowl and put an almond sized dollop of cream on the brush and gave it about 40 swirls. Can you suggest a better method? I noticed that the cream seems to hold quite a lot of water, should I just soak the brush and lather straight on my face?
Any advice on how to improve my actual razor technique? Should I try an alternative blade (using the merkurs at the moment)?
My prep was somewhat rushed and I am sure this contributed to the results; I also live in a very hard water area, how big an effect would this have on the outcome? Finally how can I stop my face from drying out so much during the shave?
Sorry for all the questions (and the horrendously long post) but I am eager to learn, and seeing as I can't be trusted to take things slowly, I need your help.
Regards, AJS

I'm guessing the first time you tried to ride a bike you didn't get the results you were looking for, either. Go back and read what you wrote. You have a good handle on things and looks like you have "typed" you way through it. However, remember to TURN DOWN THE EXPOSURE on the razor. Once you have your technique down, then open it up, but for now, nothing wrong with starting on 3. Just leave it there until you get more of the pieces of the puzzle in place. Also, it's better to start out with less water when working up your lather...you can always add more.

Hang in there...the great results you are looking for are not that far away...just need to take it easy and relax.

Randy

Speaking as a fellow novice DE shaver, I can safely say that it will take you a while to get your technique down. I've been doing it for a about a month, and while the results are getting better, my neck still takes a beating if I'm not careful.

Keep with it, and it'll get better!

-Bart

leave your setting on 3 for now.

from reading your post, two things jump out; the brush and the lather(or lack thereof).

with a synthetic, you will have to put more effort into working up your lather-one leads to the other(that's why a badger was recommended.)

so spend more time with your lather(using very HOT water) and see what happens. Your shaves will get better as your shaving technique improves and as your lathering technique improves also.

As you said, I'm a man, so giving up before really trying is out of the question.

marty

It will take a while for you to learn proper technique, and for your face to adapt. Take it slow and easy and you will get there.

Good prep is critical. Shave after a shower or use hot towels on your face. Soak your brush well, give it a few shakes, and lather up. The consistency should be like meringue. I haven't used a synthetic brush, so you'll have to play around a bit to get it right. It is a good suggestion to start with less water and add more as needed.

Remember that a DE doesn't shave like a cartridge razor. It will take several passes to get completely smooth. Start out with one or two N-S passes for a while to give your face time to adapt. From there you can progress to across- and against-the-grain.

If razor angle is puzzling you, try shaving a bit of hair on your arm and see what angle it takes to cut. Most importantly - ask questions!

BTW, I hope your Merkur blade is from a new pack. The blades shipped with the razor are often not very good.

Good thought on the shipped-with-razor blade, Scotto.

Just one more point to amplify: it will (and should) take a few passes to achieve your result; after all, one stroke with a Mach3 is basically a poor compression of three DE razor strokes. The skin recoils at that math when applied to a Fusion.

The term we tend to use is beard reduction. The whiskers get a little shorter for the first pass or two, and it's the final pass (however many it takes; I tend to need three full passes total, with a touch-up pass for missed or tricky areas) that finally yields that baby's-bottom smoothness. Even though you have to lather and shave several times, the result is hugely better, primarily because A) good shaving cream is a better lubricant and buffer for your skin, and you give yourself a fresh "dose" between passes, and B) you're using a much higher-quality blade for each pass, so the whiskers are cut cleaner and less irritatingly.

Brush: oy, get thee to a badgery. Any brush is better than no brush, but even a low-end badger is so much better than a boar or synthetic brush (to me, anyway) that it's almost silly to use anything else.

And, as others have said, allow some time for your technique to develop. My advice is to vary your "kit" (razor, blade brand, brush, cream, aftershave) as little as possible for the first several weeks, so that the only variable is how well your hand is doing what you tell it to do.

-Rich

Keep at it AJS, it will only get better, but the path there could result in further blood-letting.

Lightly, llightly, lightly on the razor. Keep your eye on the angle of the razor head, trying to keep it constant as you move over curved areas of the face & neck. You're on the right track with the light pressure, but keep the angle of attack low, so that you don't irritate the skin.

I've found it helpful to have a quiet room (no running water or music) and to listen to how the razor moves down my face and the "ping" of the stubble being sliced away as well as how smoothly I'm moving the razor around (shouldn't have any skips, jumps, or stalls.)

The price of a few rough shaves early on will result in exquisite shaves in a week or 2 when that "Ah-ha" moment happens and you walk away from the mirror with a BBS face that you can't keep your hands off all day. (Ask other members what the technical term for that is).:rolleyes:

AJS,

Well everyone here has pretty much said what I was going to say so let me re-emphasize some things:

I agree with everyone---Absolutely dial that baby back to 3 and get used to it first. You're lucky you didn't slice the hell out of your face. Trust me man, these things can be real aggressive without the proper technique formed and working properly. I second Scotto's advice on shave prep--it makes all the difference in the world.

With regards to your cream drying out on your face, I went thru the identical same thing when I was new to this, and it's ok, there's no shaving Bible bud. Just rinse your face off and relather. No harm no foul. If anything, it means you're being deliberate and learning how to hold the razor properly, the proper blade angle and the contours of your face.

Yes, it is going to take time to get used to how a DE shaves your face compared to the typical cartridge razor. Also, it's going to take time of you learning how your hair grows to get the shave you are desiring and that takes time.

With regards to the lather, like the razor, you'll quickly learn how much is too much water or not enough water. I personally have no idea how the synthetic brushes lather, but I know with the badger, different creams lather differently and they all take a bit of learning..Get a badger brush soon..:badger:

Most of all, breathe in & out and relax! This is a cool journey you're starting on...enjoy it all..You'll get there in time... :001_smile

Alex,

I looks as though you have received enough advice to keep you busy for a while. Stay after it and you will be rewarded.

In regards to the cream drying out on your face, this is not uncommon for a beginner as it does take longer while you are teaching yourself how to work a DE. One suggestion to help alleviate the issue is to only lather half of your face at a time.

Best of luck.

Thankyou all for your advice and kind encouragement, it is appreciated. The main reason I was slightly disillusioned was because I was expecting to slice half my face off ( I didn't want to, but I was prepared for it) and then when I had the futur dialled in at 6 and nothing happened all I could think of was how the hell am I supposed to shave with this thing?
However day 2 has seen a marked imrovement, set on 3 with a lighter touch I saw the kind of results I was hoping for, not quite BBS yet, but getting there. My Rooney super silver tip has been ordered, and I switched the blade that came with the razor for one from a fresh pack. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Regards, AJS

AJS,

my offer to send you blades still stand I think you opened another thread for this but never PM me . I offered them there its still on. Im a newbie aswell but I went rocket Sky high fast with learning because I couldnt think,eat-drink-smell-see-dream anything besides DE Shaving I´d stay up a whole day just browsing thru all the Forums.. inhaling all the experience of all the guys here also I had a nice teacher on my side named Obsessis who gave me not only cool tips but send me ****load of goodies to speed up the learning curve..I wouldnt say im a pro yet took me a long time to realise the tweezer brush aint good for nothing its a hell better then a vinyl boar crap brush.

All I can say all the advice you got here is 100% correct me too was dissapointed by the first 1.2.3 shaves and then it started. at this moment only this week I got babybutt smooth on just one side ! of the face, now I have it almost on both side of the face .a difficult area still for me is right undermy chin..and some neck area´s but I have reached already the stage where I can say with an honest face farewell goodbye to Mach3 forever..I was afraid I would not reach that stage...just hang in there you will get there.
What I did find important is different Blades work different per Razor.
At this time im doing my shaves with both the Feather and Swedish Gillettes not so in one shave mostly per razor a different blade. or one time I shaved with the Swedish Gillettes and touched up with the Feather. Also touching up using PSO shave oil is a big mystery to me I still dont know how much oil to use and if it really helps.

What kind of blades have you used sofar and if you live in Germany I can send you out some blades.

Im soon starting my own ebay blade shop but only after some of the best shavers give me their opinion of the blade it will be reviewed here at B and B and at SMF I already have the people in mind who will do the reviews for me.

comming soon more info about that.

Thankyou for the kind offer SSLstudio I sorry I didn't PM you but I never saw the offer ( I am all over the place at the moment, exam stress!) What thread was it on? Unfortunately, I am not in Germany, I am based in England. When you decide to open your ebay shop could you PM me the details, it would be good to see quality shaving supplies in Europe. Apart from a great selection of shaving creams in England, I have been having trouble finding all the other items I need (couldn't even find a merkur HD, had to go for the futur) Where do you get Feather blades in Europe (their probably a bit advanced for me, but it would be good to have them on hand)? As far as other blades I've only tried the merkur ones at the moment, but I have some Swedish Gillettes on their way.
I know what you mean about having trouble with your chin, I appear to be growing a goatee even though I've been shaving the area every day.
It really is great to have so much support from fellow novices and seasoned pros, thankyou all very much.
Regards, AJS

AJS, congratulations on seeing some better results! Keep at it, and soon you'll be sporting the smoothest chin out there!

-Rich

AJS said:
Thankyou for the kind offer SSLstudio I sorry I didn't PM you but I never saw the offer ( I am all over the place at the moment, exam stress!) What thread was it on? Unfortunately, I am not in Germany, I am based in England. When you decide to open your ebay shop could you PM me the details, it would be good to see quality shaving supplies in Europe. Apart from a great selection of shaving creams in England, I have been having trouble finding all the other items I need (couldn't even find a merkur HD, had to go for the futur) Where do you get Feather blades in Europe (their probably a bit advanced for me, but it would be good to have them on hand)? As far as other blades I've only tried the merkur ones at the moment, but I have some Swedish Gillettes on their way.
I know what you mean about having trouble with your chin, I appear to be growing a goatee even though I've been shaving the area every day.
It really is great to have so much support from fellow novices and seasoned pros, thankyou all very much.
Regards, AJS

no sweat , UK is just fine by me will be the same price for sending you some blades I wont bleed to death on my bank account.. :blushing:

just PM me with your adress, Ill get you out some blades .

Hello Alex ,

indeed it was not you who started that thread where I offer the guy some blades.and to PM me. I guess I have been sniffing too much Shave cream lately ! :biggrin:

you blades are on the way... I hope you enjoy them and do comment on them how they are to your face.

Top Bottom