What's new

Had my first professional shave. . .

While in Phoenix on business, I decided to treat myself to a straight shave by a barber. I got online and found a place that advertised barber shaves, made an appointment and waited in anticipation.

When I got to the shop I met my barber, an older man who told me he had been barbering for 30+ years, and had recently moved to this newly opened, upscale barber shop. He started with a hot towel--one of at least 5 or 6 over the course of the shave/facial--and some pre-shave cream. Then he applied a facial scrub, and another towel. Then an oil and a towel, then finally some hot lather--no brush!--and away he went.

He used an odd sort of straight razor loaded with broken DE blades, which he said was Russian made. He went over my face about 3 times in all, and finished with some Jack Black AS, a hot towel and a cold towel. All in all, a pleasant experience.

On my way home I touched my face, and was surprised to feel a fair amount of stubble. In fact, a lot more stubble than I usually feel after my morning shave. My face also felt a bit worked over--razor burn?--to the point where when I got back to my hotel I washed my face and applied a dab of NancyBoy AS to cool my skin.

I guess I'm left to think that shaving is just one more in a list of things that (surprisingly!) I find I can do better myself than having them done "professionally". The list includes:

washing my car

cooking a steak

making chili

shaving my face

polishing my shoes

Now--I'm not saying that I'll never have another professional shave, but my expectations will be more realistic. The experience in Phoenix was very nice--relaxing, pleasant--just not a great shave, like I've grown accustomed to in the privacy of my own bathroom.

Great post, although not a great shave. I've had similar experiences with two barbers here in town, very relaxing but not very good shave.

I would add to your list:

Cooking Lobster and/or Shrimp (everyone else seems to overcook them)

Making/cooking meatballs

Cutting the lawn

Cleaning the windows (my kids do it if that explains the answer)

Doing the dishes (same as above)

Vaccuming (same as above)

mrob said:
While in Phoenix on business, I decided to treat myself to a straight shave by a barber. I got online and found a place that advertised barber shaves, made an appointment and waited in anticipation.

When I got to the shop I met my barber, an older man who told me he had been barbering for 30+ years, and had recently moved to this newly opened, upscale barber shop. He started with a hot towel--one of at least 5 or 6 over the course of the shave/facial--and some pre-shave cream. Then he applied a facial scrub, and another towel. Then an oil and a towel, then finally some hot lather--no brush!--and away he went.

He used an odd sort of straight razor loaded with broken DE blades, which he said was Russian made. He went over my face about 3 times in all, and finished with some Jack Black AS, a hot towel and a cold towel. All in all, a pleasant experience.

On my way home I touched my face, and was surprised to feel a fair amount of stubble. In fact, a lot more stubble than I usually feel after my morning shave. My face also felt a bit worked over--razor burn?--to the point where when I got back to my hotel I washed my face and applied a dab of NancyBoy AS to cool my skin.

I guess I'm left to think that shaving is just one more in a list of things that (surprisingly!) I find I can do better myself than having them done "professionally". The list includes:

washing my car

cooking a steak

making chili

shaving my face

polishing my shoes

Now--I'm not saying that I'll never have another professional shave, but my expectations will be more realistic. The experience in Phoenix was very nice--relaxing, pleasant--just not a great shave, like I've grown accustomed to in the privacy of my own bathroom.

Mitch,
I think you have run into the inevitable march of time. Despite the barber's protestations of "30 years" the simple fact is that most barbers (at least in the US) who were routinely GOOD with a straight razor for a great shave are beyond over the hill. Thirty years ago would mean a 1976 startup for the veritable upstart with whom you crossed paths. If I can recall, most venues stopped using straights for shaving, hair trimming, and those other barberly services in the late '60s as a result of various health-related statutes. The replaceable blade in a an open razor handle came on, but the good old-fashioned barber with the leather strop on the side of the chair faded rapidly into the sunset. I think the last time I can remember getting a reasonably priced, straight shave that was really good was in '67 or '68 in the US. SE Asia still had great shaves till '73 or so.:ohmy:
I believe that straight shaves in barber shops today are more like the medieval fairs that dot the countryside in spring and summer. Interesting anachronisms, but not much more.:a48:

Well, there goes my dream- I had really hoped that i could treat myself to a great shave by a professional. Living here in hagerstown, md, i have heard of a shop in washington,D.C. that does shaves.

My only concern with them is that they use the m3(which won't touch my face until they pry my vision out of my cold, dead hands.)

now that i know I can't get a professional straight razor shave, what else is there to live for?

oh, wait,my wife said not only would she shave me like Ouch's wife( heels,outfit,etc.) but if i needed her to be butterball naked, that would be fine also.

i guess I'll go on living.:wink:

Marty

Top Bottom