What's new

Had my first DE shave (on the legs) yesterday... my thoughts:

First, I totally understand why they recommend long-handled razors for us ladies... I used a 1956 Flare Tip SS, and I had to pay a lot more attention the further I got down my leg. A Lady Gillette is probably going to be my next razor purchase (aaaand, now I'm going to be addicted to buying vintage razors).

Also, lathering - specifically getting that lather out of the brush and onto your skin (and building lather directly on your skin) - definitely trickier than all you pro youtube video men make it look... But, by the time I got to the end of my shave something clicked in my head so I think I'm improving.

I was pretty happy with my shave though - I did one or two WTG passes (which took kind of a long time, what with relathering and inability to build a good lather for a while) and I got a decent enough shave to wear shorts and dresses around, which is all I was shooting for initially. Best of all, I had none of the usual irritation, razor burn, or bumps I normally get!! :thumbup:

Oh, and my gear and stuff:

Razor: B3 Flare Tip SS
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Soap: VDH Premium Soap
Brush: VDH Premium Boar (?) Brush
Post-Shave: Thayer's Lavender

I definitely think I want a glycerin pre-shave soap... which I'll probably just make, because I'm picky (and glycerin soap is easy peas). And, I'm looking forward to my bestshave brushes to get here, I ordered a no. 1 and a no. 6, so they're both bigger than the VDH one, which I think will be nice for lathering my legs more easily. Oh, and Thayer's Lavender definitely does not smell like lavender... it's pleasant, light and floral, but not really a true lavender smell... which means I'll also be making a post-shave witch hazel splash for myself. It's great how my crafting interests can totally bleed over into my shaving pursuits. :)

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this whole DE thing so far, and lurking around here and on the w_e reddit, the community is amazing!!

Zesayne - welcome to B&B.

My wife has been using a Lady Gillette for the past year. She usually uses an Omega Pro 49 or Semogue 2000, both large boar brushes as she is covering more area. She uses a variety of different soaps and sometimes shave sticks. In either case she shaves one-half leg at a time.

Regarding your kit:

Lady Gillettes are very popular razors, with some men as well. The head on the LG is the same as your Super Speed but with a longer handle. Gillette made a razor called the knack which shares the same head but has the longer handle like the LG.

Learning to lather, particularly with a new boar brush, can be tricky. Take some time and review videos by mantic 59 on youtube. I thought that the VDH Deluxe brush was a badger, but am not sure. If you are using a boar brush, they do take a number of lathers to really break in meaning that they'll have great lather flow through.

Glycerin soaps, particularly lime glycerin soaps, have gained greatly in popularity recently as preshave products. I have one on order, but haven't tried it yet. Some folks simply exfoliate with a wash cloth and regular bath soap before shaving.

I have not used BestShave's brushes, but they have more than their share of fans.

Witch Hazel is a great aftershave, and if you can find your own scent, you'll be even better off. You might want to consider some type of moisturizing cream or aftershave balm afterwards, particularly in the dry winter months.

Congratulations on your success and new found hobby - you're in for a lot of pleasure in what probably was simply a task that had to be done before.

I have been trying to get my wife into this DE shaving of her legs and she is Deathly afraid she is going to slice her legs to shreds, im glad that some women are willing to try it again.

Welcome! I'm also still getting my wife to try just one time.So far no luck. Sounds like you are on your way to a healthy brush acquisition disorder!!

Thanks for all the replies! :) My parents were very wary of my decision to try DE shaving - my mom grew up shaving that way, but I don't think she ever did thorough skin prep. She told me I'd cut myself to bits... Evidently my dad was never very good at DE shaving either, because he also told me I'd better have a styptic at the ready; but on my first go I nicked myself maybe once, and in an area I always nicked myself with cartridges.

Oh, and I'm definitely on my way to excessive brush acquisition.... After seeing this on the Larry's twitter for the Whipped Dog, I kind of want to commission a giant long handled badger brush from him.

And really, for all the wives who won't try DE shaving: it's really not any harder than shaving with a cartridge, except that you'll never have a dull blade (I know women shave with dull carts because I never wanted to change them, even when it was definitely past time to) and you'll be a lot more aware of how to shave all of the different parts of your leg. I also really like the idea of being able to tailor your shave with different levels of aggressiveness in razors and by using various blades. And, having a significant other who also shaves that way, who you can share your various acquisition disorders with? Totally great.

Thanks for all the replies! :) My parents were very wary of my decision to try DE shaving - my mom grew up shaving that way, but I don't think she ever did thorough skin prep. She told me I'd cut myself to bits... Evidently my dad was never very good at DE shaving either, because he also told me I'd better have a styptic at the ready; but on my first go I nicked myself maybe once, and in an area I always nicked myself with cartridges.

Oh, and I'm definitely on my way to excessive brush acquisition.... After seeing this on the Larry's twitter for the Whipped Dog, I kind of want to commission a giant long handled badger brush from him.

And really, for all the wives who won't try DE shaving: it's really not any harder than shaving with a cartridge, except that you'll never have a dull blade (I know women shave with dull carts because I never wanted to change them, even when it was definitely past time to) and you'll be a lot more aware of how to shave all of the different parts of your leg. I also really like the idea of being able to tailor your shave with different levels of aggressiveness in razors and by using various blades. And, having a significant other who also shaves that way, who you can share your various acquisition disorders with? Totally great.

Your on to the key points. It's all about skin prep and sharp blades.

You have to go back more than a few generations to a time when most people used good soaps or creams when they shaved. Certainly by the 1970's canned goo's dominated the market.

Canned goos were reformulated creams that were designed to provide instant, light airy lather. They did a poor job lubricating and cushioning, but looked good - they were the Wonder Bread of their day. Before that their were good soaps such as early Williams and good creams such as American Palmolive. So your parents DE experience was a much more raw, stripped down experience than yours.

IMO, the reason it's called "Wet Shaving" is that we really hydrate the skin, protect it and run a very sharp metal blade over it.

For those men who "wish that their wives/girl friends would pick up wet shaving. My wife instantly appreciated how much cleaner my shaves were and enjoyed the fact that I smelled better. Over time, she started asking about doing the same for her legs, but was nervous about using a DE. I offered to shave her legs and she accepted. Afterwards she said her legs were tingling and never felt so good.

Top Bottom