What's new

Had excellent shave with Bigelow cream but here's the "secret"

In the past I didn't have good luck with creams but here's what I did with Bigelow. Used a little with a porcelain swirled-bottom mug. Went both clockwise and CCW with the brush. Added more cream and went in the 90 and 180 directing across the swirls until the cream was thick and slick. Great cream. One Amazon reviewer preferred it to the Proraso. FYI the water here is hard too. $10 a tube on Amazon.

In the past I didn't have good luck with creams but here's what I did with Bigelow. Used a little with a porcelain swirled-bottom mug. Went both clockwise and CCW with the brush. Added more cream and went in the 90 and 180 directing across the swirls until the cream was thick and slick. Great cream. One Amazon reviewer preferred it to the Proraso. FYI the water here is hard too. $10 a tube on Amazon.
I think the general consensus is that the Bigelow cream is made by Proraso so it should be good. I've used it off and on for years and find it a very nice product.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Agree! The cream is the stick in a tube.

Now if they would just re-issue the puck/jar. With a cork lid!
Dear Steve, in all honesty I still give a slight edge to the stick over the cream. Not huge, but clear for me.

Agreed 100% on the marvellous Maniantales puck!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
No argument @Marco

3FA5D9D3-EFE3-46FB-8D4A-05759F2B4E1E.jpeg

I think the general consensus is that the Bigelow cream is made by Proraso so it should be good. I've used it off and on for years and find it a very nice product.
CO Bigelow is definitely made by Proraso. The tube I have even has "Made for CO Biglow by Proraso" printed right on it. Unusual for them to put it right out there. Hard to beat for $10 though.

I've got about a half a 10 year old tube left. And yes, it's Proraso in different packaging. Works fine if you like the menthol eucalyptus thing. When I bought mine it was sold through Bath&Body Works in a mall. I don't find there's a "secret" to lathering it. Just the correct amount of product to water. Easy peasy.

And to prove the point to myself today, I shaved with it using an extremely cheap synthetic brush that had been at our other house and completely forgotten by me. No markings on the brush of any kind. Anyway, prep was only wash my face with CeraVe at the sink. About a toothbrush worth of Bigelow into my bowl, wetted brush, and within two minutes had an overflowing amount of thick, creamy lather. Synthetic fibers, don't, as I understand it, absorb water so this brush was run under the faucet for a few moments and slightly drained of excess. I didn't have to add any additional water to the approximately 1" of cream in the bowl.

I'd forgotten, I actually do like the menthol eucalyptus thing, especially during the hot weather. It's just been ages since I used this Bigelow.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten, I actually do like the menthol eucalyptus thing, especially during the hot weather. It's just been ages since I used this Bigelow.
I understand completely. Mine had been untouched for years until about 2 weeks ago. I came up with the idea of creating a super-lather with Stirling's Pine Sheep soap. I hate the scent of that soap and was hoping to mask it. It turned out well enough, but I'd rather use the Bigelow by itself- and that's what I've been doing. The Pine soap will go back into the cupboard again...

I understand completely. Mine had been untouched for years until about 2 weeks ago. I came up with the idea of creating a super-lather with Stirling's Pine Sheep soap. I hate the scent of that soap and was hoping to mask it. It turned out well enough, but I'd rather use the Bigelow by itself- and that's what I've been doing. The Pine soap will go back into the cupboard again...
Something about "pine sheep" soap just doesn't sound like it would work. I don't buy any of these "artisan" soaps. I prefer to stick to the tried and true but I'm pretty old school and not into a lot of experimentation. I haven't heard of probably 95% of the products that some guys here use. I'm into TOBS, GFT, T&H, Proraso, Speick, Arko, MWF, PdP, and La Toja. Not that I haven't tried some other well known products but pine sheep soap would have never been on my radar for even a sample! ;)

Something about "pine sheep" soap just doesn't sound like it would work. I don't buy any of these "artisan" soaps. I prefer to stick to the tried and true but I'm pretty old school and not into a lot of experimentation. I haven't heard of probably 95% of the products that some guys here use. I'm into TOBS, GFT, T&H, Proraso, Speick, Arko, MWF, PdP, and La Toja. Not that I haven't tried some other well known products but pine sheep soap would have never been on my radar for even a sample! ;)
CCS,

We're a lot alike. I don't know half these new artisans that are brought up on here and am content with my hoard of Tabac and MWF. The Pine Sheep- and actually all of the Artisan soaps I've tried- have come from generous members of the forums I visit. Out of about 15 I've used, I have purchased one- Stirling's Eucalyptus Mint...because it's similar to Proraso Green with a nicer base. There's a place for the Artisan guys in this hobby, and I'm glad to see a resurgence in wet shaving products, but I prefer the old school stuff, also.

Just wondering is C.O. Bigelow still in production?

I've been to a couple of Bath & Body stores and don't see it stocked there anymore?

Maybe they just quit stocking it though.

This was the first shave cream I used when I started wet shaving.

Even though I mostly use soaps. I do like to keep a tube of cream in the den.

Currently that is Proraso red. But wouldn't mind having a tube of C.O. Bigelow or Proraso green around as well. Once my Proraso green soap is all used up.

Just wondering is C.O. Bigelow still in production?

I've been to a couple of Bath & Body stores and don't see it stocked there anymore?

Maybe they just quit stocking it though.

This was the first shave cream I used when I started wet shaving.

Even though I mostly use soaps. I do like to keep a tube of cream in the den.

Currently that is Proraso red. But wouldn't mind having a tube of C.O. Bigelow or Proraso green around as well. Once my Proraso green soap is all used up.
Amazon has lots. Small size too.

As stated in this thread, it's relabeled/branded Proraso green. Bath and Body Works apparently quit carrying shaving stuff for men. It's still available from a number of sources if you don't want to buy it by the manufacturer, Proraso.

I’ve used both C.O. Bigelow and Proraso Rinfrescante (green tube) and couldn’t tell any difference between them which is why when I am out of one I will replace it with the other, whichever is cheaper and shipped for free. Lately it’s been Proraso in the green tube. The only difference I can tell is maybe the Proraso has a very slightly different more menthol type scent but have noticed none performance-wise. It’s typically easier for me to find the Proraso green for less than the usual $10 both creams are listed at and I can have it shipped for free.

Top Bottom