What's new

HAD AN INTERESTING SHAVE THIS MORNING

I did something radical and different, at least for me.

Washed my face for 30 seconds with cold water.

Built a runny thin lather with Cremo, cold water, and a badger brush in a wooden bowl.

Applied lather and rubbed it in by hand for 30 seconds.

Reapplied runny lather.

Shaved WTG, XTG, and ATG with a Merkur Vision 2000 razor set at a slightly mild setting, using a 3 day old Gillette Silver Blue blade (Russia).

Rinsed face with cold water.

Applied Badger After Shave Face Oil (no alcohol), my favorite after shave.

All I can say is, Wow! In memory I've never had a smoother, closer, and more comfortable shave experience, and I've shaved tough whiskers daily since 1952. Yes. Nineteen fifty-two.

It’s awesome to hear that after almost 60 years of shaving you can still improve your shave! Out of curiosity, what’s your normal routine?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am glad that it worked for you. Last time I tried a cold water shave many years ago I was using carts. Maybe I should try it with a DE, but my hands these days do not like cold water.

Brother Mac,

My normal shave routine is pretty, um, normal. I shave DE most of the time, but I also like injectors, and occasionally I shave SE. Warm water and ordinary shave soap or crème. I would leisurely wash my face with warm water as a prep for maybe 2 minutes.

I have noticed, though, when using cold water during a shave I never get a cut or a weeper. Also cold water makes morning coffee obsolete. It does an outstanding job of waking a person up! When I say cold water I'm not talking ice cube water. The 45 degree cool water that comes from the tap is fine.

Cremo is an interesting product that I have mixed feelings about. I think the company errored in marketing it as a "brushless" product. I much prefer to work with it using a brush and a little extra water. And it is slick. And that is good!

It’s awesome to hear that after almost 60 years of shaving you can still improve your shave! Out of curiosity, what’s your normal routine?

Errrr .. Ya mean 66? :)

When I first started shaving I used cold water .. We didn't have a water heater, other than that old cook stove with the well on the end of it. :) I've been shaving for 60 years. ;)

Built a runny thin lather with Cremo, cold water, and a badger brush in a wooden bowl.

Reapplied runny lather.

Shaved WTG, XTG, and ATG with a Merkur Vision 2000 razor set at a slightly mild setting, using a 3 day old Gillette Silver Blue blade (Russia).

All I can say is, Wow! In memory I've never had a smoother, closer, and more comfortable shave experience, and I've shaved tough whiskers daily since 1952. Yes. Nineteen fifty-two.

You've got me by a few years. ;) As long as I've been shaving, two years ago was the best shave I'd ever had, and that included half a dozen or so barbers with straight razors. My nirvana was the use of a silvertip brush and a reputable hard soap, that and learning a thing or two about how others have done it before me.

Good shaves make the day, and great shaves make a world of difference. :)

Cheer!

Sounds like you found a winning process. I might have to try that, minus cold water. The last time I shaved with cold water was during bivouac, and it wasn't by choice.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Cremo is slippery stuff, for sure. There are so many shave variables, it might take hundreds of years to figure it out... :arf:

AA

You've got me by a few years. ;) As long as I've been shaving, two years ago was the best shave I'd ever had, and that included half a dozen or so barbers with straight razors. My nirvana was the use of a silvertip brush and a reputable hard soap, that and learning a thing or two about how others have done it before me.

Good shaves make the day, and great shaves make a world of difference. :)

Cheer!
Brother Hank,

Without a good shave, there is no day.

Brother Mac,

My normal shave routine is pretty, um, normal. I shave DE most of the time, but I also like injectors, and occasionally I shave SE. Warm water and ordinary shave soap or crème. I would leisurely wash my face with warm water as a prep for maybe 2 minutes.

I have noticed, though, when using cold water during a shave I never get a cut or a weeper. Also cold water makes morning coffee obsolete. It does an outstanding job of waking a person up! When I say cold water I'm not talking ice cube water. The 45 degree cool water that comes from the tap is fine.

Cremo is an interesting product that I have mixed feelings about. I think the company errored in marketing it as a "brushless" product. I much prefer to work with it using a brush and a little extra water. And it is slick. And that is good!
It’s marked as a brushless cream , because that is what it was developed for. I buy it for just that reason, and see no need for a bush . Of course you can always use a brush if that is your preference.

I've discovered that, especially in the nasty long summer here, a cold water shave (though what comes from the tap Aporil through October is pretty tepid) works very well for me. My theory is that it either makes the beard hairs stiffen up a bit, or contracts the skin around the hairs, or both; so that the razor can cut more easily and closely.

Reapplied runny lather.

one day recently, i forgot to pack the brush and had to finger lather the shave cream!
took a little time, but worked just fine!

acqua di parma pils brushless december 10 2018.jpg

Top Bottom