What's new

had a great shave with Dead Sea Mud Soap not meant for shaving

Back story is that a few months ago I had an allergic reaction to a medicine that caused me to break out in extremely itchy hives all over - and dermatologist had me buy some Dead Sea Mud Soap. That stuff worked like magic to stop the itch. It doesn't have any strong scent (well it smells like mud - but not in a bad way). The itch is long gone but I still have two bars of the soap and I noticed how extremely slick it feels when I wash my face before a shave. I leave it on my face as a watery/soapy slurry to keep the beard and face moist while I'm getting my shaving gear together.

This morning when I was washing my face with it, I decided to use my soaked boar brush and I couldn't believe how thick and creamy (and slick) it lathered up on my face. So I went ahead and shaved with just the Dead Sea Soap and I had a really enjoyable shave without any irritation. I did miss the tallow (I normally shave with MWF or the old tallow formula Tabac) but I got a great shave!

This is the stuff I used. Curious if anyone else here has ever tried it or something like it? I paid $8.50 for one bar but occasionally I see a 3 for $15 deal.
1670103505621.png

Ingredients:
aqua (water)
sodium palmate
sodium palm kernelate
glycerin
palmitic acid
sodium chloride
tetrasodium-edta
tetrasodium etidronate
maris aqua (dead sea water)
limus (dead sea mud)
aloe barbadensis leaf juice
calendula officinalis flower oil
argania spinosa kernel oil
camellia sinensis leaf extract
vanilla planifolia fruit extract
lavandula angustifolia (lavender) leaf extract
rosemarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract
ocimum basilicum (basil) leaf extract
tocopheryl acetate (vit.e).

Because of eczema I shave 90% of the time with olive oil based soap or African Black soap. I started using it as a face wash- and it worked- eczema disappeared in a matter of weeks- then upgraded to lathering the face wash with a brush (to get a little exfoliation), then realizing the soap is nice and slick and worked great for shaving.

As long as it's slick, I have no problems shaving with it. I'll have to look for your stuff. Trying different soaps is still a rabbit hole for me- even if it's not dedicated shaving soap. ;)

Top Bottom