What's new

Hacking off the No Shave November beard

What is everyone's process for erasing the last month's growth?

-Straight razor down to BBS?
-Clippers to manageable length then DE razor?
-DE razor from the get go? Maybe maxed out adjustable?
-Magic shaving powder? Nair? (Haha)

Let's hear your plans to banish the beard.

Option 2 would be the first choice but with a little patience option 3 will get you there.
I shave daily so none of those options apply to me.

I wait for Spring, then use clippers, then either a SR or DE, except the mustache, which stays.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#2 or #3 if you have the right razor that won't clog up. For example, an open comb R41 or Fatip.

I'd suggest some sort of pre-shave routine. This could be just washing your face with glycerin soap and letting it stay on the face for a couple of minutes before lathering up. Alternatively, you could go for the whole moist cloths on the face routine.

I've been shaving through November, but if I decided to eliminate the beard and mustache entirely, I would go after them with one of my heavy grind straight razors.

The more I frequently I shave with my straights, the less beard area I have! They seem to have an innate urge for vast sweeps of clean facial territory.

I skipped it this year, not that it's not a very worthy cause - but I'm an essential service provider in a now-mandatory mask locale and industry - beard just wasn't gonna fly this year.

In the past I took the beard as low as I could get it with my electric beard trimming clippers then used a cartridge razor to finish the job and it went well. So I recommend clippers then blade of your choice.

I don't participate, but if I did, I would use one of my AC shavettes. They will take you from a full beard to a baby face in just a few short minutes, with no requirement for clippers.

Electric clippers followed by OC DE razor. The worst beard removal was on a cross country bicycle ride when I decided I would be cooler without the beard. Used the little scissors from a Swiss Army knife to clip as close as I could then cheap cartridge razor and shampoo for the shave. Not fun.

Electric clippers followed by OC DE razor. The worst beard removal was on a cross country bicycle ride when I decided I would be cooler without the beard. Used the little scissors from a Swiss Army knife to clip as close as I could then cheap cartridge razor and shampoo for the shave. Not fun.

Yuck. Sounds like a lot of tugging and tears.

I'm wondering what's the aim here, have fun with a razor or getting things done?

For the second, unexciting option, my answer would be scissors or an electric clipper. Those will bring any beard down to a range of lengths, where it can either be shaved clean or further styled.

For having fun, straight razors are hard to beat in my humble opinion.

I wait till spring then just use a straight, I don’t have a thick beard and a few passes with a freshly honed straight normally does a great job

Top Bottom