What's new

Hacked

I got the word today from the IRS when I attempted to e-file my 1040 tax return and it was rejected. I called the IRS and they told me that I was the victim of identity theft. Anyone else have this happen? What did you do to straighten it out?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yep. I think that someone else tries to file in your name. They tell you what you need to do. Carry ID down to their office and get some kind of PIN or something if I recall correctly.

If you start to get the run-around from the IRS, write your congressman and ask them to intervene. I had to do that a couple years ago when some idiot at the IRS reviewed my return and (wrongly) decided that I was owed more money. That sent my return into review hell. Every time you call, you get a different person and a different answer or a flat-out lie just to get you off the phone. After 4 months, I wrote my congressman giving them the dates I contacted the IRS, who I talked to and what I was told. It took several weeks for his office to get it sorted out, but they kept me informed and I got my refund.

We can partially thank the sub par security of Equifax which stores a lot of our information without our permission to determine our credit score. So they got hacked that would be stopped from a windows update from 3 months before the attack, then waited like 3 more month to tell everyone.

I went to all 3 credit agencies and had looking up my credit locked, that prevents a lot fraudulent loans being made in your name since they can't look up your credit score. The killer is that you have to pay them to not show your information. So they monitor you without permission and hold that as a ransom.

Top Bottom