What's new

Haberdashery Habits Learned from your Dad

I was just thinking about this the other day since father's day is a few weeks away, but are there any habits that any of you guys picked up from your dad on something you wear or keep on you? a hat? a handkerchief? or certain ways of storing and caring for some of your clothes or shoes?

For me ever since I was a kid, my dad always told me that a man should never be late to any engagement that he has committed himself to, whether it be a business meeting, a date, or a night out with friends. And to remind myself never to be late that I should always wear a watch.

It turned into a habit, and now you will never see me without my Breitling Old Navitimer that was given to me by my dad.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The things I learned from my father - shave with 3 different electric razors in sequence to get the best shave, and Aramis/Polo cologne in large quantities. :thumbup:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My father was voted "best dressed" in his yearbook. He only owned one suit, but he always looked sharp and his shoes were always shined.

Shine those shoes
How to tuck in a dress shirt
Wear a watch--never be late
Had to learn shaving here though. He had a full beard.

My dad taught me to use the cheapest possible razor and canned goo. I ignored him :lol:

That was my problem, I listened. Took me 20 years before I learned how to properly shave.

Dad always insisted on being early. I picked up that habit much to my wifes' irritation.

I love my Dad but I learned how not to dress by watching what he wore. He does wear a watch every day, and I picked that up. My Dad's watch is 20 year old gold Casio with Mickey Mouse on the face. It's his "thing". He also shaves every day. I resisted that for many years, but eventually came around. :) He's still using disposables, though. :/

lol my dad also shaves with a disposable.

Have any of you guys tried to converting your dads to more traditional wet shaving?

The five things I learned from my father (which I follow to this day):
1-Never wear shorts. It may be July in the Sahara, I'm wearing jeans.
2-The only occasions when jeans are not appropriate are funerals. Visitations... Maybe, so long as they are clean.
3-Boots are not formal footwear. As such, they do not need to be polished. Ever.
4-A leather motorcycle jacket is a perfectly acceptable alternative to a tuxedo for your wedding. Just be sure it's scuffed and black (just like your boots), and your jeans and do-rag are clean.
5-A watch should not cost more than $20. That way, if it gets broken or coated in something nasty, you aren't too upset about it. He's worn the same $20 Timex as long as I have been alive. Probably much longer.
The point of all this (and my philosophy for life in general): "Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive."

Last edited:
My dad fell prey to some of the worst trends of the 80's (he had a perm!) so no I didn't learn any sartorial habits from him, unless it was to dress the opposite of what he wore.

Top Bottom