What's new

Haberdashery Acquisitions

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
"Canadian tuxedo". Wow, I resemble that remark! :a31: :001_tongu :laugh:

But seriously, there's an interesting story about how the "Canadian Tuxedo" came to be:
Why Is It Called A Canadian Tuxedo? Because Levi's, Vancouver, and Bing Crosby.

I live in Vancouver, but rarely see denim on denim anymore. It was very common in the '70s and '80s, though. But, where I grew up, denim on denim is still a regular sight. When I go back to the countryside, I take my old Lee Storm Rider with me. It may be a 40+ year old jacket, but it's cutting edge fashion up there! :laugh:
Thanks for that. I had read that story before, but this one had pictures! You have to love the irony that it was the Canadian hotel that wouldn't let Bing in wearing denim. I love the look of denim-on-denim (very Wolverine), but am no where near cool enough to pull it off. Now your PM, on the otherhand, is looking pretty "tragically hip" there (pardon the pun). As I understand it, that's the way to do the Tux, with a little contrast between the jeans and the jacket.

Dude, I'm impressed your jacket still fits! High school letterman jackets and denim jackets from the 80's are both notorious for "shrinking" through the years. I say a trucker with 40+ years of character is going to look stylish anywhere. Rock it with pride!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I live in Vancouver, but rarely see denim on denim anymore. It was very common in the '70s and '80s, though. But, where I grew up, denim on denim is still a regular sight. When I go back to the countryside, I take my old Lee Storm Rider with me. It may be a 40+ year old jacket, but it's cutting edge fashion up there! :laugh:
It is in Brooklyn, too.

image0.jpeg

Brooks Brothers was having a nice sale a few days ago so I treated myself.

Dude, I'm impressed your jacket still fits! High school letterman jackets and denim jackets from the 80's are both notorious for "shrinking" through the years. I say a trucker with 40+ years of character is going to look stylish anywhere. Rock it with pride!
Yup, my letter jackets don't fit anymore. But, I bought my Storm Rider 2" bigger in the chest so I could wear thicker (or multiple) shirts in cold weather.

That worked out because it fits perfectly now that I've "matured" (ahem).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
"Canadian tuxedo". Wow, I resemble that remark! :a31: :001_tongu :laugh:

But seriously, there's an interesting story about how the "Canadian Tuxedo" came to be:
Why Is It Called A Canadian Tuxedo? Because Levi's, Vancouver, and Bing Crosby.

Back when Ambassadors were Stewards, I was the stew in the Hab. I held a Canadian Tuxedo contest (won by Badger Babe). Perhaps that is why I was never asked back. :lol:

"New" vintage Borsalino I found on Etsy. This is the first hat I ever purchased through the mail and I had a lot of trepidation about it. Although the box was totally destroyed, the hat was in great shape. I'm very happy with it. Although the seller was in DC this hat was originally sold by Meyer the Hatter here in New Orleans.
borsalino.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
"New" vintage Borsalino I found on Etsy. This is the first hat I ever purchased through the mail and I had a lot of trepidation about it. Although the box was totally destroyed, the hat was in great shape. I'm very happy with it. Although the seller was in DC this hat was originally sold by Meyer the Hatter here in New Orleans. View attachment 1082043
Nice lid, I like it. Congratulations for taking the risk.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very happy. They accidentally sent me two, so I have to get that straightened out. The hat is well made, and matches the polo shirts that I wear to work. It is the tropic weave, as it is hot here more often than it’s cold.
I never followed this up. I contacted them shortly after I received the hats, and they said just keep the extra one. I put it in the closet and forgot about it. My 18 year old grandson was over the other day and said that he liked my hat. I remembered the extra one, so I had him try it on. It fit. Looks like another flat cap wearer.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Not a recent acquisition, but obtained this to replace another signet I lost while moving a few years back. A bit obvious in displaying my affiliation, I think; that’s why I generally don’t wear this in the workplace or to most casual gatherings.

7248C81A-0DEC-4D91-A548-884A066346BE.jpeg

Anyone else wear a signet regularly?

tankerjohn

Not a recent acquisition, but obtained this to replace another signet I lost while moving a few years back. A bit obvious in displaying my affiliation, I think; that’s why I generally don’t wear this in the workplace or to most casual gatherings.

View attachment 1097742

Anyone else wear a signet regularly?
Nice ring! Has it gotten you out of any speeding tickets?

Currently doing the Winter/Spring clothes changeover (winter still hanging on around here).

I never shopped at TJ Maxx until I got on the forums and checked it out for grooming items. Then I checked out the clothes, too. Picked this up before the stores closed down. Some great bargains to be had.
ZAXZ.jpg

tankerjohn

Currently doing the Winter/Spring clothes changeover (winter still hanging on around here).

I never shopped at TJ Maxx until I got on the forums and checked it out for grooming items. Then I checked out the clothes, too. Picked this up before the stores closed down. Some great bargains to be had.
View attachment 1099967
Nice pick up! Yeah, I feel like as soon as I pack up the sweaters and flannels, I’m pulling them back out two days later cuz it’s like 40 degrees outside. I’ve seen a lot of Proraso stuff at TJ Max lately. I hope that continues!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
IMG_20200517_130913731.jpg

The pair in the middle I bought at Goodwill about 20 years ago and they had the laces, but my cat at the time liked to eat them, so they have been laceless for probably 5 years. I wear them around the house, out to the mail box, to the garden, etc. Polish them every 6 months or so, lol.

About a year ago I found the pair I'm wearing on eBay. Exact size. They just were too high a price for me for probably 30 year old shoes. We finally agreed to a price I would pay.

They came Saturday. I honestly don't think they were ever worn! Like, ever.

They are tightish, but incredibly supporting. They are Johnston and Murphy. I'll list them in my Will, lol!

Top Bottom