What's new

Haberdashery Acquisitions

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have to wear support socks, and now I try to only buy Merino wool blended ones. Incredible feel. Stay clean and odor free for days, if needed.

I even sleep in "footies" in the cold months!

Wool has amazingly good side effects for my body and it's aches!
Odor free for days 😮‍💨
True story doggone😱

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Merino socks are quite durable. It is not unusual for me to get five to ten years on a pair. They are also very comfortable in hot weather. I spring for pricey ones, mainly because they are consistent and reliable. Merino socks have largely disappeared from department and menswear stores around here. The only readily available natural fiber socks are cotton, and they stretch out of shape and wear out much too quickly.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
My wife bought me a watch case, and then I filled it up, so I had to buy another one.

IMG_20220428_021229752.jpg

Kilroy6644

I got this 18mm RAF strap today. I ordered it to go with a Timex Mk1 I ordered at the same time. But they cancelled that order, so now I have a strap that doesn't fit any of my watches except my Vostok 420. It's living there temporarily, until I get the watch I want.

IMG_20220429_121339991.jpg

Saving the pictures for the "Watch Ya Wearing" thread (mostly because I was too lazy to take a picture on their own....), but received some new BluShark watch straps yesterday. Unfortunately, the one strap I ordered in a 22mm was shipped to me in a 20mm. So, I'll be sure to let everyone know how their customer service is as well.

Saving the pictures for the "Watch Ya Wearing" thread (mostly because I was too lazy to take a picture on their own....), but received some new BluShark watch straps yesterday. Unfortunately, the one strap I ordered in a 22mm was shipped to me in a 20mm. So, I'll be sure to let everyone know how their customer service is as well.
Just a quick update regarding the customer service here. I sent an email to the email address listed on their website. I was a bit skeptical, as 2 days had passed and I never received one of the automated "We will be back to you" emails I typically get.
This morning, I had a response that they are shipping the correct size to me free of charge, and I get to keep the 20mm strap as well. I've also already received tracking information for it.
Now I just need a 20mm lug watch to go with a red strap. :)

Kilroy6644

I got this in today. Timex Mk1 36 Resin.

IMG_20220506_142004586.jpg

IMG_20220506_142718129~2.jpg

The good: this is exactly what I wanted. A small, light, no-frills, retro field watch. It's a repro/inspired by/whatever of the old Timex Camper from the early '80s, so it's got a plastic case with fixed lugs; no spring bars. 18mm strap, slip through only.

The bad: there's nothing bad about the watch itself. It met my expectations, and the bar wasn't set very high. The downside is that it's from the Timex Archive... which means they get to charge more. Much more than the watch is worth, in my opinion. Of course, I knew that going in, and I bought it anyway, so it's not like I feel I got ripped off (except for the shipping, but that's not Timex's fault). But I feel like this should be in the same class as the Casio F-91W: basic, cheap, and easily replaceable if necessary. Unfortunately it's only one of those things.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Finally got my old Blacksmith 3340 boots back from Red Wing after a factory resole in Vibram mini-lug 430. Took a little over eight weeks but worth the wait. Some serious miles on this pair and many more to go now.

full

So Singapore is linked to Malaysia by 2 causeways and a few weeks ago the borders were reopened,
tempImagemgvhz1.png
so this week we went over to Johor Bahru for the first time in 2 years. While there we went to the Outlet Mall and I picked up a Swatch. I had been thinking for a while about getting a "travelling watch" if I go to a less than salubrious destination (like my hometown) where a flash watch might be a Bad Idea - there has been a spate of watch and jewelry robberies in some places - and this was a steal (MYR277, or about USD60). Rude not to.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
New hat day! I got a little package in the mail all the way from Down Und’a with this beautiful Akubra Campdraft inside. It comes with an open crown, like a really tall bowler hat. I put an Open Road-style cattleman’s bash in it. I’ll probably change it tomorrow. That’s the beauty of an open crown. Akubra has a rep as pretty much the best bang for the buck in hats, and I certainly see it with this one. Happy 4th of July weekend, y’all!

E7AE2769-180C-48B3-A184-C2EB5A7093E1.jpeg
70209A9F-01AC-4215-B6D3-2A19BE186469.jpeg

Kilroy6644

On today's thrilling episode of "I Can't Afford The Real Thing," a Seestern Sub 300.

IMG_20220714_114428584~2.jpg

Way back when, before I knew or cared anything about watches, my first introduction to the "dive watch" was Dirk Pitt's Doxa. So I had to have one. While a real Doxa is out of my price range, the Seestern is the next best thing.

Top Bottom