What's new

Haaslinger Schafmilch NEW FORMULA - no tallow no problem

This is not a lenghty review or anything like that, we all know this soap is cheap, has nice mild scent and it works, even without tallow.

I just wanted to share that I never had the chance to try the "old" tallow version, but I did recently order new formulation. And I swear if I didn't know they threw tallow out, I would belive that this is tallow based soap.

And what amazes me is the EASE of lathering. Usually with new soap there is at least a little bit of dial in period where you get to know your latest purchase. Not with this one, a few swirls on puck, some swirling on face finished with a bit of painting strokes and there you go. Thick, protective, slick lather. Weirdly enough, out of 7 soaps currently in the bathroom, my girlfriend likes this scent the best

Haslinger’s ‘vegan’ soaps are very fine indeed!

However, I prefer their older ‘tallow’ which provide a slicker, more protective lather IMO. YMMV for sure. :a21: :a21:

Haslinger Schaffmilch is a top tier soap.
It lasts a lifetime and it is very good. I never tried the tallow version, but I have my doubts about being it better on some way.
Of you hydrate this soap (and it can take a metric ton of water) it is just superb. And the mild powdery scent allows you to use whatever AS you want.
After I use all my current soaps, I am planning on making 50:50 mix of Schaffmilch and MWF.

My skin responded better to the old formula, but the new version is still a fine soap and a terrific value.

I want to try CRSW's version of the old Schafmilch.

Just had a shave with the old Tallow Haslinger (Seaweed) soap this evening. Fantastic lather and am looking forward to trying some of the new formula soon:) glad to hear it still managed to retain its top notch performance, not like the many other soap makers that changed formula to crap like 3 T's.

When i read that first part i thought haslinger had changed their formulation again, ooops my bad

Actually, there's a reformulation of the vegetal base that I don't think anyone is aware of.

I tried the Aloe Vera shortly after they changed from the tallow base and I really didn't like it, not even as a hand soap (I might sound harsh but that's my opinion).
Then they came out with another soap, the Sensitive, that changed the base from Palm oil to coconut oil and I really like this version.
In my mind I thought they might change every soap to this formulation, but inquiring in this forum that didn't seem to be the case, and I didn't want to buy a soap with the previous formulation just so I could see if they had changed it.
Until I saw the following photo of the Schafmilch in the portuguese forum:

Sabão - Haslinger Schafmilch 12-2020.jpg

For reference, here is the previous vegetal base INCI:
potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium palm kernealate, aqua, sodium palm kernealate, glycerine, lac powder, parfum, sheep milk, arachis hypogaea, lanolin,lecighin, sodium hydroxide , alpha-isomethyl ionone, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, CI 77891

So there you go, there is a new formulation (vegetal v2).

Actually, there's a reformulation of the vegetal base that I don't think anyone is aware of.

I tried the Aloe Vera shortly after they changed from the tallow base and I really didn't like it, not even as a hand soap (I might sound harsh but that's my opinion).
Then they came out with another soap, the Sensitive, that changed the base from Palm oil to coconut oil and I really like this version.
In my mind I thought they might change every soap to this formulation, but inquiring in this forum that didn't seem to be the case, and I didn't want to buy a soap with the previous formulation just so I could see if they had changed it.

View attachment 1198864

potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium palm kernealate, aqua, sodium palm kernealate, glycerine, lac powder, parfum, sheep milk, arachis hypogaea, lanolin,lecighin, sodium hydroxide , alpha-isomethyl ionone, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, CI 77891

Looks like they nixed the Palm Oil. I've read the environmentalists don't like to see Palm Oil usage. Maybe that's why they took it out. From my understanding they removed the Tallow to appease the animal lovers. Boy, I sure hope they never frown upon Lye, we're all screwed if they do!

View attachment 1198864

Well, that's interesting! My last remaining Haslinger puck, which is the sage variety, has palm oil. I've ordered an aloe vera puck, so we'll see if it has palm oil or coconut oil. Or tallow. Who knows? I remember the tallow version, and I thought the vegan version was at most only a slight step down. But I'll hold off any volume purchase of Haslinger until I get this straightened out.

The palm oil industry is also rife with (child) labor abuses.

I say this seriously, not jokingly, but I hope the jobs those kids find to replace ones they do in the palm groves aren’t worse; we know the kids are working to put food on the table so one job
disappears they’ll find another, and God bless them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve 3017nd many pucks of the tallow version of Haslinger. I’m currently 6 weeks into a veggie puck of shafmilch and cannot detect any change in performance. Haslinger, regardless of scent or formula, remains a top tier performer for me. The veggie puck was acquired shortly after the formula change from tallow to veg.

I’ve just come back from Pasteur’s Pharmacy in Manhattan and picked up a puck of the Shafmilch with the vegetal 2.0 (coconut) base. Here’s a pic of the ingredients. As you can see, no tallow or palm kernalate:

78CDB75E-AB69-4A4B-8845-3EE58FFE9E17.jpeg

Interestingly, Pasteur’s had many pucks of the old tallow-based formula for the non-shafmilch soaps (some of them seemed a bit dusty!).

I’d be interested to know if anyone has any info on this new reformulation. The only info I can find online is DarkSpy’s post above.

When did they start selling the new formulation? I got mine months ago and threw away the wrapper, so I can't compare with this photos.

I don't think it will be easy to find that out, I'm sure there's a lot of old stock around.

And I also don't think anyone knows the answer other than Haslinger.
Did they convert all the soaps to version 2.0 when they released the Sensitive or was the Sensitive a test bed for a future (that is now the present) change?

Top Bottom