What's new

H.L. Thater Resurrection

A few weeks ago, I posted about the demise of my well-used and loved H.L. Thater Olivewood brush Blowout After 12 Years, H.L. Thater RIP - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/blowout-after-12-years-h-l-thater-rip.632904/#post-12023406.

I removed the remnants of the old knot with considerable effort. I revived the finish on the handle and replaced the knot with a Maggard Razor Super High-Density two-band badger knot on the helpful recommendations provided in the link above. I am thrilled with the result, both the appearance and lathering experience.

I thought I would share the results in some photos. Also pictured is a razor I purchased years ago from a member of a different razor forum that I belonged to. The scales were not original (yellow wood with a cracked CA finish). I replaced them with koa scales. Interestingly, the blade has the word ELECTRIC etched into it. The tang stamp says C. McGivney, Astons Quay, Dublin. I would be interested to hear if anyone knows anything about this razor. An internet search didn't turn up anything.
The first three pictures are of the restoration. The last two show the state of the old knot and tired finish before the resurrection.
HL Thater 22-12-11 1.jpeg
HL Thater 22-12-11 2.jpeg
HL Thater 22-12-11.jpeg
IMG_4178.jpegIMG_4193.jpeg

Top Bottom