What's new

H.L. Thater Premium Boar Brushes

I am thinking about the Italian flag is it really that good and worthwhile to have

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Omega Italian Flag is a different kind of boar. The hair is very blonde and very fine, and very uniform. When new, it can be difficult to splay and may seem floppy. However, it soon becomes easier to splay and requires little effort to keep splayed and it provides a gentle massage and a soft scrub. Due to its high loft (64 mm) it holds a metric ton of lather once broken in. It's also a looker and I love the massive resin handle.

At this point the Italian Flag is my favorite of 8 boar brushes, BUT, as the Thäter breaks in it is catching up. I'd say that these two will be my favorites. One won't replace the other as they are completely different designs having different effects.

I have read some reviews claiming that one version of the Italian Flag has the same knot as the '49. That is definitely not the case with mine.

Huh, the SOC boars dropped to $25 on amazon via smallflower, but otherwise they no longer appear to be available. This Thater might be the best boar out there right now by default (although the Whipped Dog boars are my favorite by far).

The Omega Italian Flag is a different kind of boar. The hair is very blonde and very fine, and very uniform. When new, it can be difficult to splay and may seem floppy. However, it soon becomes easier to splay and requires little effort to keep splayed and it provides a gentle massage and a soft scrub. Due to its high loft (64 mm) it holds a metric ton of lather once broken in. It's also a looker and I love the massive resin handle.

At this point the Italian Flag is my favorite of 8 boar brushes, BUT, as the Thäter breaks in it is catching up. I'd say that these two will be my favorites. One won't replace the other as they are completely different designs having different effects.

I have read some reviews claiming that one version of the Italian Flag has the same knot as the '49. That is definitely not the case with mine.
Thanks so much for a detailed review that helps a lot

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

your point is taken but you have to take into account decades of market perception. I would compare it to McDonald's suddenly asking people to pay $20 for a burger. I also have seen zero marketing material to sell people on the price bump other than the thater brand name. But hey that seems to be enough for some.

This brush is a collaboration between Thater and Bullgoose Shaving. As far as I know it’s only available through Bullgoose and is a limited run. Thus no marketing.

It’s a niche brush to be sure and not for everyone.

I got mine in today. I will use it on Sunday. I can't wait.

Thater_Schick.JPG

Huh, the SOC boars dropped to $25 on amazon via smallflower, but otherwise they no longer appear to be available. This Thater might be the best boar out there right now by default (although the Whipped Dog boars are my favorite by far).

They are still avaiable at West Coast Shaving for $45.00.

Had my first shave today with the Thater. I used Van De Hagen Luxury soap with my ATT SE1 razor with a Feather Pro blade. I have nothing to add to what has already been said. It is a fantastic brush that I will use for my bowl lathering. I love the beehive handle. It feels really good in my hand. Great brush.

Thater_Lather.JPG

Just had my 2nd shave with this brush and dare I say this may be my favorite brush in my den right now and as it breaks in its supposed to get even better. It’s my opinon that Thater hit the nail on the head with this brush. Love the handle as well. It’s got me thinking about getting the two band badger that’s how much I like the handle.

I've had my 5th shave with this brush and I am still very impressed with it. I had kind of giving up on boar brushes to tell the truth but I just had to try this one. With Thater coming out with this one made it special since they make only top shelf brushes.
Not I have been using it a lot. I have been using it for bowl-lathering. It makes a beautiful lather. Quite the brush.

Thater_lather.JPG

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I added one as well. I've been using an SOC for years and this seems to be a fine replacement. It's a little smaller than the SOC, but for a new brush it's doing a great job. Love the handle.

I added one as well. I've been using an SOC for years and this seems to be a fine replacement. It's a little smaller than the SOC, but for a new brush it's doing a great job. Love the handle.

It is not smaller than the SOC. The SOC has a 24mm knot x 57mm loft. The Thater has a 26mm knot x 59mm loft.
Which one did you buy?

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm very happy with the quality for this price point. Good looking and excellent in use. No boar funk.

No surprise (at least to me) is the lack of funky smell. I only own one brush that was funk-filled for quite some time - and it's my only cheap brush (Omega B&B for $20). While you don't always get what you pay for, my experience is that you never get what you don't pay for.

It's a fine knot, but the SOC is larger at the business end.

The SOC appears to be larger because it blooms quite a bit after it breaks in. Some guys like that and some don't.
I like your ivory beehive. I have the black one. The beehive has a nice feel in my hand. Very nice handle.

Ciao @Cino

Thank you for the feedback. I was wondering which is the premium boar brush by Omega. Is there any better than this model?

Ciao @Cino

Thank you for the feedback. I was wondering which is the premium boar brush by Omega. Is there any better than this model?

The model number of the Omega is 21762. That is probably the best Omega boar brush. But if you really want the best boar brush the one this thread is about, the Thater, that is the best. It does cost a bit more than the Omega. But the Thater is the best.

Thater_mug.JPG

Top Bottom