What's new

H.I.S Shaving Brush

I'm looking for feedback on this brand of synthetic brush. It doesn't get the buzz the other synthetics get, but was once popular. I know there are many users who like theirs, as well as those who don't for various reasons. I've been teasing the idea of getting the large 28mm knot size version (1794/1799) and sticking it in a custom handle at a lower loft. Any observations welcome.

Attachments

• $his_shaving_brushes_all.jpg
    $his_shaving_brushes_all.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 187
I am rather curious about this line too. Just branching out into synths but have a WD 24 synth that I love to death. Anyone with feedback???

I have a H.I.S. brush model 1849. It has a 28 mm knot, 58 mm loft. I really love the brush. I like the way the handle looks and feels. I think it is the softest of all the synthetic brushes. It does hold a lot of water. I usually shake out the excess water and then give it a squeeze before I start to whip up my lather. It is a fine brush.

$HIS brush.jpg

I'm looking for feedback on this brand of synthetic brush. It doesn't get the buzz the other synthetics get, but was once popular. I know there are many users who like theirs, as well as those who don't for various reasons. I've been teasing the idea of getting the large 28mm knot size version (1794/1799) and sticking it in a custom handle at a lower loft. Any observations welcome.

I don't see a 1799 in the pic. Did you mean "1779"?

This brush was discussed a number of times yeas ago. Take a look at this thread and this one. The brush is huge. My only problem with it was it sprayed so much lather on my mirror that my wife was showing some annoyance with it. I ended up giving it to my oldest son who likes it.

I have the 1779, and I'll echo what Ackvil said about it. Sprays and sloshes lather and water everywhere for me, however it definitely does whip up an awesome lather very easily and if you are a fan of large brushes it fills that role nicely while being extremely soft at the tips.

Because of this thread I started using my H.I.S. brush again. I am very impressed with it. You do have to compensate for the larger than normal size of the knot but what a great brush it is. If I am going to bowl lather with it I give it a good squeeze before I start to load the lather. Like 'Dan82' said above, "it definitely does whip up an awesome lather very easily".
When I use it with a shave stick, I just give one good snap of the wrist to get out the excess water and it performs great with Arko. One thing I noticed about this brush is the bristles are so soft. I think they are even softer than a Plisson which has really soft bristles.
If you haven't tried one of these babies yet, you don't know what you are missing.
For just $28.00 on Amazon you can't go wrong.

Because of this thread I started using my H.I.S. brush again. I am very impressed with it. You do have to compensate for the larger than normal size of the knot but what a great brush it is. If I am going to bowl lather with it I give it a good squeeze before I start to load the lather. Like 'Dan82' said above, "it definitely does whip up an awesome lather very easily".
When I use it with a shave stick, I just give one good snap of the wrist to get out the excess water and it performs great with Arko. One thing I noticed about this brush is the bristles are so soft. I think they are even softer than a Plisson which has really soft bristles.
If you haven't tried one of these babies yet, you don't know what you are missing.
For just $28.00 on Amazon you can't go wrong.

i really like my Plisson but would like to try a HIS....what is the model you wrote about...I really do not know which one to order...

thanks

tam

I like your idea of lowering the loft. I bought one years ago but hated how floppy it was. Insanely soft. But almost unusably floppy.

There are actually two brushes carried on the Amazon listing linked above: the clear, which is designated model 1794; and a black handle, which does not carry a model number. Just curious if the two are the same. I believe the current black handle version is called the 1779, but I got no response over there when trying to confirm this. As for the difference between the 1794 and 1849, the knot is the same on both, but the loft is lower on the latter. I had always planned on a custom handle in order to adjust this, so I guess it doesn't matter which model is ordered -- if they are indeed the same brush. The current Amazon price is certainly the lowest I've seen.

I like your idea of lowering the loft. I bought one years ago but hated how floppy it was. Insanely soft. But almost unusably floppy.

I like the idea too--would like to make mine lower and also smaller. In other words, a large brush that wouldn't be as large, and with a lot more backbone. Does anyone know of good online shops that do the modifications?

Hello:

I ordered 1 from Amazon, first it was out of stock and suddenly 1 appeared, so i think another personen returned it. How can i tell if is Brand New? Thx

Amazon would not sell a used brush. There would be traces of soap in the knot near the handle. It will show without pulling it open. No matter how much they wash it. Again, I don't think any company would risk such a thing.

Top Bottom