What's new

H.I.S. Brush: Wow!!!

Recently, I posted about what a disappointment my first synthetic shaving brush, a Parker, was. I wanted to try a synthetic brush for my travel needs. I did not care about the size of the brush: I just wanted a brush that would work well and dried quickly. I posed the question: are all synthetics plagued with the same problems.

GDCarrington replied to my post, said "no," and one of his recommendations was that I try a H.I.S. Brush - which I did. Thank you GD for this recommendation.

I ordered from Amazon and the brush arrived yesterday. Today was my first lather with it.

When I wet the brush this is what it looked like.

$HIS wet.jpg

I was a little concerned that the brush would have the same characteristics as the Parker. However, such was not to be the case.

I loaded the brush with MWF, a soap I know would be a challenge for a synthetic like H.I.S. This is what it looked like loaded.
$HIS loaded.jpg

Obviously, unlike the Parker, this brush loads easily. Today I was going to make an Uberlather of MWF, Ingrams Cream, and glycerin. After I loaded the brush and made lather I have enough lather for four passes - with plenty left over. The brush retains lather well.

If I do an Uberlather, after my shave I take whatever lather is left over and gently rub it all over my face and neck. I find that the glycerin and other ingredients is beneficial to my skin. Here is a picture of what the remaining lather looks like after I squeezed it out of the bristles.

$HIS after.jpg

Finally, I washed the brush, gently rubbed it on a towel and let it air dry. Here is what it looked like after I rubbed it.

$HIS washed up.jpg

In conclusion: not all synthetics are the same. But H.I.S. is a winner.

Thank you Mr. GDCarrington.

I'm glad you like it, Jim. Gary also swayed me pretty persuasively to try the H.I.S. clear handled brush. I like the look, and you've both convinced me it's a worthy addition to my den. Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
Whenever people ask me, are you just on a kick or is this really that good. Let me put it to you this way, I own four of these (2 black and 2 clear).

I have put it this way, this is the dirty little secret brush that you use and then discuss other brushes on the forums.
One should be in every traditional shavers brush arsenal in my opinion.

Jim, I am glad you enjoy this brush and thanks for the review. You are right, not all synthetics are the same.

Oh and here is another great combo lather shave with the H.I.S.

proxy.php

Thanks Gary...found them. Are the knots on the black and clear the same? The pics on Amazon make them look a bit different.

Can't wait to test lather mine out b/c it arrived today! I used to have an EJ synthetic like 2 years ago which I sold off b/c it wasn't the best. But I'm confident after reading reviews and giving the Muhle Silvertip fibre a run for its money.

After reading up on the H.I.S brush, and watching a brush "shoot out" I am shocked that these brushes haven't become the mos talked about trend in brushes here on B&B or any other forum.....it's price point is so inexpensive I don't know why every shaver doesn't have one (or two!) in there shave den...

I purchased mine on a whim after reading this thread and all I can say is that I was completely blown away by this brush when I received it.

The first thing I noticed was its size. This thing is huge. It's about the same size as my Rooney 3/3.

The second thing I noticed was how soft it felt. It was absolutely luxurious. Despite its softness, it has a ton of backbone. Maybe too much backbone. It requires a bit of manhandling to get it to splay when face lathering.

Speaking of lathering, I did something really stupid with this brush. My wife is going to have a field day with this...as I'm sure the rest of you will too...

I decided to give the brush a test lather. I squirted out two almond-size dabs of Spieck and began to bowl lather. I worked at it for about one minute and it was glorious (sorry no pics). Out of curiosity, I lathered up my face. The brush did very well. The only complaint I have is that the backbone can be tough to overcome, so you have to mash the brush on your face to get good coverage.

I set the brush down, rinsed off my face, and saw how much lather was still in the brush. Tons. So after rinsing off my face, I decided to give it another go. And again, and again, and again...12 times over! Yes, I practically lathered my face raw trying to figure out how much that brush would hold with one good load. After 12 times, my face was burning! I stopped and squeezed out the rest...enough for two more passes. But now my face is injured and I have all of the red spots. Luckily, my Vostok ASB :velva2: arrived today, and now I feel much better, but the spots are still there, so I probably won't be able to shave for a couple of days.

So there you go...this brush can hold enough lather for about 14 passes....and I have the red spots on my face to prove it! :letterk1:

Last edited:
I've been thinking about getting either the H.I.S or the Muhle,I may order the H.I.S. next week,can't have enough brushes :lol:

I need another brush like a hole in the head, but I think I smell my July birthday present here.
Thanks for the recommendations.

I purchased mine on a whim after reading this thread and all I can say is that I was completely blown away by this brush when I received it.

The first thing I noticed was its size. This thing is huge. It's about the same size as my Rooney 3/3.

The second thing I noticed was how soft it felt. It was absolutely luxurious. Despite its softness, it has a ton of backbone. Maybe too much backbone. It requires a bit of manhandling to get it to splay when face lathering.

Speaking of lathering, I did something really stupid with this brush. My wife is going to have a field day with this...as I'm sure the rest of you will too...

I decided to give the brush a test lather. I squirted out two almond-size dabs of Spieck and began to bowl lather. I worked at it for about one minute and it was glorious (sorry no pics). Out of curiosity, I lathered up my face. The brush did very well. The only complaint I have is that the backbone can be tough to overcome, so you have to mash the brush on your face to get good coverage.

I set the brush down, rinsed off my face, and saw how much lather was still in the brush. Tons. So after rinsing off my face, I decided to give it another go. And again, and again, and again...12 times over! Yes, I practically lathered my face raw trying to figure out how much that brush would hold with one good load. After 12 times, my face was burning! I stopped and squeezed out the rest...enough for two more passes. But now my face is injured and I have all of the red spots. Luckily, my Vostok ASB :velva2: arrived today, and now I feel much better, but the spots are still there, so I probably won't be able to shave for a couple of days.

So there you go...this brush can hold enough lather for about 14 passes....and I have the red spots on my face to prove it! :letterk1:

You have to back off the amount of product you use to about 1/3 of what you are accustomed to with the same sized Badger because the solid fibers will not absorb product like natural hairs do. It is the most efficient brush in my stable and I have a Muhle 35K series 25 mm synthetic that is almost that efficient.

As to the splaying, it will give a little as time goes on but not much. It is a brush with a very strong backbone. That is why I like it so well along with you don't have to baby this brush. It will stand up to hot water, and will dry much faster than equal sized natural brushes.

Glad to see the good report and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

P.S. 14 passes in one application must be some kind of record.

Top Bottom