What's new

H.I.S. Brush: Wow!!!

Didn't they used to cost twenty something?

Yes it was at just above $25 and $33 with U.S. shipping.
That was an introductory offer and I knew that the pricing would increase as demand for the product increased and the distribution channels had to be changed to handle that demand.

It is a great value even at $45 less shipping.

Just ordered one. It still says 3 left in stock. Must be an Amazon thing.
I am a newbee at DE shaving for 3 months and painting my cream on with a $12.00 stiff Escali brush. Look forward to changing the way a brush will apply lather.

Yes it was at just above $25 and $33 with U.S. shipping.
That was an introductory offer and I knew that the pricing would increase as demand for the product increased and the distribution channels had to be changed to handle that demand.

It is a great value even at $45 less shipping.

I'm still waiting on restock of the clear handle, apparently that won't happen until after the 4th. I hope the price remains the same as it is now ($32.50 with prime) which I feel is reasonable. Otherwise I may not get one, not a fan of companies that jack up prices just because an item starts selling well. I guess I might as well grab the black handled one while it's available and avoid possibly getting gouged later on.

I'm still waiting on restock of the clear handle, apparently that won't happen until after the 4th. I hope the price remains the same as it is now ($32.50 with prime) which I feel is reasonable. Otherwise I may not get one, not a fan of companies that jack up prices just because an item starts selling well. I guess I might as well grab the black handled one while it's available and avoid possibly getting gouged later on.

That was my thinking as well.

I would expect that Amazon's cost to warehouse and ship the brushes has to be part of any price increases.

This and I'm not sure the company really knew what they had when they released the product.

And I'm pretty sure they put Gary on some kind of commission plan so his kick back is probably included in there somewhere...j/k...:laugh:

This and I'm not sure the company really knew what they had when they released the product.

And I'm pretty sure they put Gary on some kind of commission plan so his kick back is probably included in there somewhere...j/k...:laugh:

No commissions received here, but I wish I got a commission for each one that sold after I started posting everywhere! :yesnod:

I think now the company realizes that the shaving market deserves some emphasis and maybe that means new products. My problem with the entire synthetic market was that there was limited number of products and producers that were willing to effectively market the products. When the synthetic brush team was working on this issue, we each were told to bring something to the table that could provide a point of change in the market. I went to Amazon and saw the brush and could find nothing on it. Throughout the shaving community it was as if this brush was non-existent. So I became the test subject and bought one. When the testing began, I was amazed that a product like this was completely unknown. I started plastering it on the forums and away sales went. Hopefully some of the other companies besides Muhle, who have been a stalwart in producing new synthetic innovations and marketing, will step up to the plate and not just provide one or two items, but different handle colors, handle materials, knot sizes, etc. The rapid assent of FM Brush / Artist Brushstrokes along with Muhle's success may make the established brush makers take notice that others will come along and provide great products at reasonable prices in the synthetic market. As time goes on and the pressure on animals to produce enough product to support growing populations, the era of synthetics will become more and more apparent to most users.

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday evening and used it this morning. I am very impressed.
The other brushes I have used were Tweezerman and Van Der Hagen boar that came with their cheap set.
The tweezerman is why I decided to get a synthetic brush. It smelled awful and it took a while for the smell to go away.
I never liked it much. The VDH brush is actually better except for the fact it sheds (but less than in the beginning).
Some folks likes their tweezerman a lot so I suspect very strong sample variation.
The H.I.S brush is at a different league.
The tips are very soft and very dense.
It feels very soft for soap face lathering.
My preference actually goes to smaller brushes and this one is quite big.
All and all, it is a quality product. I never tried the higher end brushes so I can't compare.
I did however check out the silvertip ones on display at "The Art of Shaving" and for all I can gather from a dry feel, this one is for sure denser and (dry) as soft.

I noticed that it takes a while to dry so I guess I better give it some help with a towel after I use it.

My wife generously bought me one of these when they restocked on Amazon this week, because she knew how bad I wanted it and I am on hiatus with the Summer of Gentlemanly Restraint thread.

So I fired it up last night, and all I can say (just like OP) is WOW! This brush rocks! It is huge, and I had to adjust to the size at first, but it is a soft as a silvertip, and is great for bowl or face lathering. This will be the last brush I own, I am just that impressed right off the bat. After my hiatus ends, I will defiantly get a backup because if you have this you just don't need another brush IMO.

Thanks Gary and OP for turning me onto this brush. It is fantastic and at $33 shipped with Prime, it was a steal.

Your welcome!

I got mine yesterday evening and used it this morning. I am very impressed.
The H.I.S brush is at a different league. The tips are very soft and very dense.
It feels very soft for soap face lathering. My preference actually goes to smaller brushes and this one is quite big.
All and all, it is a quality product.

I pretty much agree. It has soft tips, but it is very big. Kind of like a cross between an Omega Pro (It's only about 1/2 inch shorter) and a Simpson Badger in Best (the tips are very soft). I think it will be great for bowl lathering.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
No commissions received here, but I wish I got a commission for each one that sold after I started posting everywhere! :yesnod:

I think now the company realizes that the shaving market deserves some emphasis and maybe that means new products. My problem with the entire synthetic market was that there was limited number of products and producers that were willing to effectively market the products. When the synthetic brush team was working on this issue, we each were told to bring something to the table that could provide a point of change in the market. I went to Amazon and saw the brush and could find nothing on it. Throughout the shaving community it was as if this brush was non-existent. So I became the test subject and bought one. When the testing began, I was amazed that a product like this was completely unknown. I started plastering it on the forums and away sales went. Hopefully some of the other companies besides Muhle, who have been a stalwart in producing new synthetic innovations and marketing, will step up to the plate and not just provide one or two items, but different handle colors, handle materials, knot sizes, etc. The rapid assent of FM Brush / Artist Brushstrokes along with Muhle's success may make the established brush makers take notice that others will come along and provide great products at reasonable prices in the synthetic market. As time goes on and the pressure on animals to produce enough product to support growing populations, the era of synthetics will become more and more apparent to most users.

Thank you for all the spadework. H.I.S brushes have been among my best acquisitions yet.

Grr. I'm trying to get one for my husband and son but Amazon is saying it's unavailable :( Is there a newer link to follow than the one on the first page? I did search for it on Amazon also :(

thanks in advance!

A quick heads up to the BOTOC. If anyone has been wanting to try the H.I.S. synthetic brush, Amazon has them back in stock for $25.

This is from an email I received from Artist Brushstrokes: Our goal is to be fully re-stocked on both the clear handle and black handle brushes by the week of July 16.

My suggestion:If you want one, place an order because this is a great brush.

Question to those who have owned this brush for a while:
Does it 'break in' after a while? it has a really strong back bone
maybe a tad too strong for my preference because I find myself applying a some force for my style of face-lathering.
The hjm is much softer, maybe even 'floppy' by comparison.

Top Bottom