What's new

H.I.S. Brush: Wow!!!

I need a new brush, my other one was a cheap synth bought in TK Maxx (TJ to Americans), but I want to buy a synth brush from a maker that doesn't make Boar or Badger brushes, just synthetic ones.

That may sound ridiculous, but I have some issues with the Badger/Boar popularity and where it will lead in the future, and while I am unsure on my ethical stance (Very much a meat eater), I'd prefer not to buy a brush from a manufacturer that makes mainly Badger/Boar as it would in a way be supporting something I really need to know more about, an an issue that is very complex.

This brush looks great, do they fulfil that purpose? Or is there any other brand that just makes Synth and is good quality?

I need a new brush, my other one was a cheap synth bought in TK Maxx (TJ to Americans), but I want to buy a synth brush from a maker that doesn't make Boar or Badger brushes, just synthetic ones.

That may sound ridiculous, but I have some issues with the Badger/Boar popularity and where it will lead in the future, and while I am unsure on my ethical stance (Very much a meat eater), I'd prefer not to buy a brush from a manufacturer that makes mainly Badger/Boar as it would in a way be supporting something I really need to know more about, an an issue that is very complex.

This brush looks great, do they fulfil that purpose? Or is there any other brand that just makes Synth and is good quality?

In my view you have really two choices. At the low cost high value end is the H.I.S. brush.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/296007-The-Clear-Handled-H-I-S-Up-Close-And-Personal

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/287195-H-I-S-Synthetic-Brush?highlight=

At the higher cost high value there is the Muhle line of brushes. I have the 33K series (23 mm) and the 35K series (25 mm).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ssic-Silvertip-Fibre-shaving-brush?highlight=

All these are of excellent quality.

I hope this helps.

In my view you have really two choices. At the low cost high value end is the H.I.S. brush.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/296007-The-Clear-Handled-H-I-S-Up-Close-And-Personal

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/287195-H-I-S-Synthetic-Brush?highlight=

At the higher cost high value there is the Muhle line of brushes. I have the 33K series (23 mm) and the 35K series (25 mm).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ssic-Silvertip-Fibre-shaving-brush?highlight=

All these are of excellent quality.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, GD, they look like great brushes and the reviews are all good.

My probably unobtainable brush is one that is quality, but made by a company who don't deal in Badger and Boar. This is probably very diffilcult due to the level of expertise needed to make a decent brush is with the traditional badger and boar makers, who branched into syntethic.

Thanks, GD, they look like great brushes and the reviews are all good.

My probably unobtainable brush is one that is quality, but made by a company who don't deal in Badger and Boar. This is probably very diffilcult due to the level of expertise needed to make a decent brush is with the traditional badger and boar makers, who branched into syntethic.

Well all brushes started out using natural fibers until the 20th century so in a sense all brush lineage and knowledge starts with natural fibers so no manufacturer will be complete free of that history.

You are overlooking the fact that brush makers do not have to be in to shaving brush manufacturing alone. This H.I.S. brush manufacturers primary line of business is artist and cosmetic brushes, so realize that they more than likely make and sell more brushes overall each year in volume then all the big name shaving brush manufacturers combined. These are of wildly different sizes shapes with a variety of materials starting from synthetics and working all the way up to badger and sable for very high end cosmetic brushes.

Cosmetic brushes are massive in sales compared to shaving brushes each year. So they can amortize the cost of doing business across a much larger volume of manufactured items meaning that they do not have to charge a premium price like other smaller companies.

This is why they can bring a high quality low priced synthetic to the market because of their vast experience making brushes.

I hope this helps.

Yup, that's pretty much what I assumed and I am fine with the history, makes total sense I'm happy enough to plough on without a new brush, I don't think there is a market for a one stop 'ethical brush', if that isn't too much of a loaded term.to be honest I never shave until I have showered and washed my face, so I don't put a massive premium on the brush.

I live in Ireland and they cull 30% of the population anyway, but I don't think the Dept. of Agriculture know how to knot a nice brush, might be a way out of the financial crisis :wink2:

So this brush is pretty awesome! I used it this morning and it produces some of the best lather. The one thing i would change is prolly the loft of the bristles. The reason is bc it would be a lot better for face lathering/exfoliation. But other than that i do believe every wetshaver should add one to there den with an excellent price tag!

Gotta love Amazon Prime...free 2 day shipping...brushes shipped on 6/16 (Sat.) from Florida and arrived here in California today...looking forward to using one of the brushed tonight!!!

i love the look of these brushes, but i'm still not ready to take the plunge on a synthetic and give up my boars/badgers (and soon a mix).

the lather in the initial post by the OP (squeazed out from brush) looks nice and thick, but the lather shot with the barbasol in POST 9 by GDcarrington, looks very airy and dry.

it could be the picture, it could be the cream, it could just be me....if it works for you, that's all that matters.

thanks for sharing and the review, i have some more investigation to do before purchasing one, but they seem to be getting better and better from what i've been reading and have made significant improvements from the earlier synthetics.

Last edited:
i love the look of these brushes, but i'm still not ready to take the plunge on a synthetic and give up my boars/badgers (and soon a mix).

the lather in the initial post by the OP (squeazed out from brush) looks nice and thick, but the lather shot with the barbasol in POST 9 by GDcarrington, looks very airy and dry.

it could be the picture, it could be the cream, it could just be me....if it works for you, that's all that matters.

thanks for sharing and the review, i have some more investigation to do before purchasing one, but they seem to be getting better and better from what i've been reading and have made significant improvements from the earlier synthetics.

The lather in that post was taken after the shave was totally complete. It still had moisture in it and that much lather available to go on. It is just that I had no more shaving to do.

Well, you got me all excited. Then I clicked the Amazon links and read "This product is currently unavailable." Both colors. I guess they only had a few and B & B members bought them all. Sheesh!

B&B is a double edged sword. We find out about products here, but so do others, and before you know it....sold out. I just hope people that bought multiples actually USE the multiples.

Hey Brucered, this brush lathers MdC like a champ and it produced some of the best lather.

thanks. as for producing better lather.

i've never had a problem getting a certain brush to lather. i do not believe brushes produce lather better then others. some feel better in hand and on the face and dry better, splay better, release lather better etc, but i don't think brushes produce better lather then others. this is just based on my brushes (all boar and badger). mine all produce the same lather, just some feel better applying and using.

Last edited:
thanks. as for producting better lather.

i've never had a problem getting a certain brush to lather. i do not believe brushes product lather better then others. some feel better in hand and on the face and dry better, splay better, release lather better etc, but i don't think brushes product better lather then others. this is just based on my brushes (all boar and badger). mine all product the same lather, just some feel better applying and using.

Ditto to what you exactly said. I think it just lathers faster when compared to other brushes, but still serves the same purpose as any other SB when lathering.

Ditto to what you exactly said. I think it just lathers faster when compared to other brushes, but still serves the same purpose as any other SB when lathering.

yes i'll agree with that as well, some brushes will lather faster or slower etc. i think it has to do with the amount of water etc they hold and other variables beyond my limited knowledge

in my above post, i realized i put PRODUCT, but meant to say PRODUCE...(edited)

Stu, I have had communications with the supplier and they have stated that they are planning on getting distribution in the second half of this year in the U.K. if all goes according to their plans.

Will keep my eyes open for this then. Cheers for the reply.

Top Bottom