What's new

Gyros!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I don't care how it's pronounced or its pronunciation....ug. Just show me how it's made. Give us a few recipes, equipment, etc.....sheez.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't care how it's pronounced or its pronunciation....ug. Just show me how it's made. Give us a few recipes, equipment, etc.....sheez.

1 kilo ground beef
2 tsp salt
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp flour

Mix the heck out of this and bang it on the counter to get all the air out. Form into a loaf place into a pan with a fairly high lip (bread tin) as this is going give up a fair bit of fat. Cook for about 1 1/4 hours at 350 F. Let it cool for a bit and slice into strips. Easy to reheat in a fry pan very quickly.

$Aug 2 Greek Gyro and Salad 001.JPG
Picture from a couple of years ago. Homemade tortilla instead of a pita.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

I would make Lamb Koftas and grill them over some fire but if you want to got all out the may help.
I'm sure you could whip one up in your back yard. If the hairy bikers can do it, I'm sure you can.......don't forget the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take lamb gyro meat over any steak.
And you guys are way off. It's a hard G and a short O. "GUY-raw".

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
1 kilo ground beef
2 tsp salt
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp flour

Mix the heck out of this and bang it on the counter to get all the air out. Form into a loaf place into a pan with a fairly high lip (bread tin) as this is going give up a fair bit of fat. Cook for about 1 1/4 hours at 350 F. Let it cool for a bit and slice into strips. Easy to reheat in a fry pan very quickly.

View attachment 720712
Picture from a couple of years ago. Homemade tortilla instead of a pita.

I wonder it this would work on my new rotisserie?

No, no, it's spelled Throatwobbler Mangrove, but pronounced "yee-ro".
:)
Anyway, slicing up the two cones created quite a few big packages for the freezer. Of course I had to cook up a bit of it to eat right away. They certainly give up a lot of fat while cooking, almost frying in the pan. Tasted just like what I get in the restaurant.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Likely my crestfallen look was what made her offer to go ask the manager/owner about it. Turns out, he said that it had been ordered while he was out of town instead of the pre-sliced gyro meat (they don't have the rotating gyro cookers there yet, they're still fairly new store). Being a meat product, he couldn't return it, so he thought he would just store it away until they eventually got the gyro cookers later this year. But, he then offered to sell the box to me for $75 (it was, after all, costing him money by just sitting there taking up freezer space), and there was much rejoicing on my part. :w00t:

OP to the manager: "you are my gyro!"

Top Bottom