What's new

Guys, please help-Best Dandruff Shampoo?

I have had 2 doctors and a dermatologists say its SD. I hope they are right.

However, I've found that 2 prescriptions used in tandem knock out symptoms REALLY quickly. Elidel, and luxiq. I know, I know, Elidel is a steroid based cream and I only use it when it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. .

Luxiq is a steroid but Elidel is not a steroid -- it's a topical immunosuppressant.

Effective dandruff shampoo depends on the particular person. Head & Shoulders is all I ever need. My wife, however, needs Medicated Selsun Blue and Denorex.

I've been using Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo (they have a few different scents) pretty much daily for about 24 years, works like a charm for me. I occasionally mix in Head and Shoulders about once per week because years ago a doctor told me not to use the exact same shampoo every day.

Gonna revive this thread.
Effective dandruff shampoo depends on the particular person. Head & Shoulders is all I ever need. My wife, however, needs Medicated Selsun Blue and Denorex.

Indeed. I'm gonna revive this thread. My wife has a prescription shampoo too, while I was using mostly Head & Shoulders (a simple white bottle one), but lately, I decided to change it for something more effective. This article helped me a lot and, surprisingly, a stronger version of Head & Shoulders (the blue one) is more suitable for my scalp, but I prefer Tea Tree smell more.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Try Nizoral as per the instructions with Head and Shoulders in between.
I get nasty dandruff if I don't use head and shoulders every day.
When I do get a particularily nasty bout of it, I use the Nizoral and it seems to go away.

Also make sure you are using a condtioner. I use the Head and Shoulders conditioner too.
+1. H&S daily and Nizoral fortnightly are a regimen that works for my seborrheic dermatitis. I don't use a conditioner, though, as it leaves my hair too limp. However, I do use H&S conditioner as a pre-shave, which--in addition to smoothing my shaves--has helped eradicate every last trace of my damn dermatitis.

One more thing. Nizoral was hard to get for a long while. Is it back on the shelves? I've been using prescription ketoconazole for some time now.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
It is seborrheic dermatitis. The shampoos, ingredients and products recommended to treat the symptoms just haven't been working. Now with that said, I don't have flakes on my scalp anymore. I used to, but selson blue cleared that up, and now I only use it occasionally as needed. But the scaling on my face on both sides of my nose has kinda gotten out of control. It used to not be much of a problem but now people are asking me who punched me in the face because of the red marks. Aggravating, to say the least.
I've had the same problem, all that red scaling. I just make sure that when I'm washing my hair, I also wash my face with the shampoo. I use H&S daily and Nizoral fortnightly. Selsun Blue also works. Just make sure that when you're washing your hair, you also wash your face with the stuff.

Best discovery I've made is to use H&S Conditioner as a pre-shave. Like any hair conditioner (I used to use Pantene), H&S Conditioner really sets your beard up nicely for lathering. Moreover, it contains zinc pyrithione, the same active ingredient in the shampoo. Since following this regimen, my seborrheic dermatitis is now totally under control--no flaking, no itching, and nothing to pick at. Truly, it feels like I have a new face. Good luck.

Try using Nothing for a few weeks.

No shampoo
No soap
No cosmetics
No toiletries.
No deoderants

Wash with warm water only.
Use a pure soap ( no addatives) like Alleppo for the bits and bobs only if absolutely necessary.
Use a bicarb deoderant if you really need to.
Use a simple bicarb/salt toothpowder for the few weeks.

The idea is to give your body a break from all of the drugs and chemicals we throw at it daily and let your biome restablish itself.

It's not hippy voodoo either, There is hardcore scientific evidence to back this up.

Stay away from SLS.

Do it for a month and see what happens. Its only a month. If you do see improvement, you can then start dialing back in your soaps etc slowly to see which are triggers for you.

I am 2 weeks into this myself at the moment and my psoriasis/ eczema has noticeably improved.

I posted in this thread a long time ago, and am about to post essentially the same thing.

Nizoral, Head and Shoulders, etc., even prescription Nizoral never fixed my dandruff.

MYSTIC WATER shampoo bar in the Neem and Tea Tree scent is a miracle worker. As a physician, I have also recommended it to my patients who were suffering with horrible seborrhea. In my opinion, this is the best thing you could ever do for your scalp.

Speaking of which, forget about washing your hair and think about washing your scalp. Your hair will automatically get cleaned in the process. Gently scratch the lather into the scalp at the beginning of your shower and don't rinse out until the end of your shower. Do this every day and your dandruff will be gone within 1-2 weeks.

Nizoral and Coal tar shampoos work well whenever I get dandruff.

Oddly or not - for 15 years I was a coal miner, and never had dandruff or flakey skin although some days I had to wash in dishwashing soap, twice, and then a shower with bath soap to remove any residue from the harsher stuff - and had no dry skin of any type. Maybe it's the difference in my age, and maybe coal tar is a remedy, I don't know.

Thread revival again.

My dandruff has really been acting up lately (somewhat neglecting to care for it which doesn't help).

I'm cursed with dry scalp and oily hair. After doing some research on the net, I'm trying one of the least expensive dermatologist-recommended products I found, Dove Dermacare. I'll check back with results

I used to use Matrix/Biolage Scalpsync anti-dandruff, but it's very pricey. It worked well but it was very hard to find (recently discovered I can get it through Amazon).

I also find that a once a week treatment of coconut oil left on my hair for several hours, then washed away, helps to control itching and flaking.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For years I used T Gel which worked OK. Recently, I have been washing my hair less frequently, switching from every day to every two or three days. On the non washing days I use a conditioner and focus on the scalp rather than the hair. I also use left over shave soap to condition my scalp if I shower after shaving. It may sound silly but I read that the main cause of bristle loss in shaving brushes is insufficient rinsing of soap residue between uses, and I wondered if the same may apply to human hair. So I decided to focus on rinsing my hair after using shampoo or conditioner, and to spend at least as long rinsing product from my hair as I spent applying it. My hair looks and feels noticeably better as a result and, dare I say it, it looks a bit thicker and fuller. 👍

Top Bottom