What's new

Gus's Shave diary

Shave #600
no name solingen razor 6/8 full hollow
Tabac SS
Boar brush
Kiehl's ASB

I thought I would chime in upon completing my sixth century of shaving with a straight. Shave quality wise I am consistently getting DFS+ on a two pass shave with touch ups. Shave comfort is excellent and the post shave skin feel is silky soft.

After doing a straights only year in 2013, I have now gone back to experimenting with DEs and other safeties. I even got a free latest version unmotorised Gillette and tried it out. To my surprise though, up until now I have not really enjoyed any of the shaves with any of these razors compared to the straight shaves. I have probably unlearnt the DE technique to such an extent that I just cannot get the results that I used to. For the time being it thus appears that I have painted myself into the straight corner. This is not a huge issue because thanks to lapping film, honing is not an issue anymore.

I still have a few new things to test with straights such as long blades on a shavette and shaving with a kamisori which I hope I will get round to, during the rest of the year.

Careful with those Kamisoris! That there is a whole different world to explore. Congrats on the continued success.

It's great to see a check-in. I was thinking recently about what number I was up to.

Congrats on 600. That's quite an accomplishment!!

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I find it fascinating that after 600 shaves I am still finding ways to improve on the shave and although I have made a quantum leap in terms on honing thanks to lapping film there is still room for refinement of the edge.

Shave #700
Heljestrand Kloster 6/8 Full hollow
Yardley SS
Boar Brush
C&E Sienna ASB

I have been pretty lazy these last few months. I was planning on testing the Kamisori but I have not got round to it yet. Shave quality is pretty consistent and the speed is up. It seems to have become second nature to shave with a straight such that I find I can get a good shave without having to devote so much time and concentration to it.

To celebrate a further 100 shaves, I got myself a Wacker before it is too late. The razor I got was quite a lot larger than I was expecting and it took some getting used to but now I am very happy I made the purchase.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
nice! I think you should post a few pictures! :001_smile

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
700! Congrats! Do yourself a favour and use that kamisori! Unless you're used to shaving with a spike point, be careful of the tip. I have given myself a few "fishgills" in the past.

Thanks for the input guys! For reasons of expediency I shaved with the Wilko classic DE yesterday. My DE technique is now so sloppy that I gave myself two cuts and at the end of it all the shave did not seem to be very close. Tomorrow, I am breaking out the Wacker together with Tabac SS for a really good shave. I will try to take a picture of it together with the Heljestrand of shave 700.

On the subject of the Kamisori, I still need to make the purchase. Martin Nienberg at Rasurpur has had a project going whereby he sells kamisoris style razors that are manufactured in Germany. I will probably get one of those for my birthday next year.

Here is a picture of the Wacker and the Heljestrand. The Heljestrand is no small razor but it is dwarfed by the wacker.

Attachments

• $IMG_3962.jpg
    $IMG_3962.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 43
From the picture you might get the impression that the Heljestrand is in a pitiful state but in actual fact it is only the silver steel that is reflecting its surroundings. Both razors are in great condition. The Wacker was used yesterday on sahve #701 with Tabac SS and ended up giving me a slight nick on the cheek. Said nick was not half as bad as the two cuts I gave myself using the wilko classic DE.

Here is another picture which might give zoo some idea about the Wacker's beauty. I am particularly fond of spine work. Again zoo can see how small the Heljestrand looks in comparison.

Attachments

• $IMG_3965.jpg
    $IMG_3965.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 38

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
That Wacker looks like a big beauty that should be in my home. You really don't understand how big (or small!) a blade is until you lay it alongside one that's a different size. The spinework looks simple, yet elegant.

Shave 805
Eickelnberg and Mack
HJM Boar
Speick shave stick

Another 100 shaves have gone by. Quality is pretty consistent. I have one weak spot which is difficult to get at on the back part of my neck near the jaw bone and at the height of my jugular. The hair here seems to grow backwards and along the skin. It is exceedingly difficult to stretch this skin. Frustratingly, it is quite easy to pop off these hairs with a safety razor. During the next 100 shaves I shall have to assess how much of a problem this is and what to do about it. Perhaps I will grow a beard if only to see exactly how that hair grows.

I have not ordered the Kamisori yet but I might get around to this indulgence after my summer holiday.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice update! I have the SE conclusion when it comes to a difficult spot. Skin stretching must be key. A DE seems to "forgive" the direction a bit more.

Top Bottom