What's new

Gus shaving stick

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I do not normally post eBay links but anyways, this is a buy it now and I cannot seem to find anything anywhere. It's either a vintage item, a new item or a fake item...

If it would be number 3, I would think that someone would post something about it (saying it doesn't work). If it would be #1, I do not think that the seller would have the product (stick) packaged in plastic. Vintage sticks are, usually, packaged in foil...

So, anyone tried it? I sent them a message to get the ingredient list as I find it fishy that they say it's free of synthetic chemicals (which doesn't mean much IMO) but they don't list the ingredients...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171218264894?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I googled around, and I couldn't find anything else on it. I would almost be that it's #3, but if you pick it let us know.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got a reply from the seller. It's not good.

Ingredient list: Coconut oil, Olive oil, Palm oil, Rice Palm oil, Glycerin, Milk

Looks like the olive oil might kill it here, not too sure I want to try this stick anymore... Bugger!

In my horribly 'politically incorrect' way, I maintain a rather high level of suspicion concerning many Asian goods.

There's a balance to be struck that I feel is unique to this market. You may encounter provincial, almost magical products which are genuine, time-tested items. You may find those which are the careless, hasty output of 'business people' looking to make maximum profit with a minimum of concern for any positive input or outcome. I immediately think of tainted pet food, lead-contaminated vending machine toys, images of people rummaging through tech-dumps laden with heavy metals, and Apple iPhone manufacturing. Yes, I'm aware that not all Asian countries are sources or fountains of unethical practices.

In America we have a longer-running history of commercial malpractice and corporate collusion, so the relative secrecy here is likely much more sophisticated than it is with foreign companies fairly new to the open vistas of opportunistic capitalism. ; ]

'Gus' has a 'familiar ring to it', but I can't call up specifics. I might simply be remembering the old Disney film about the place-kicking donkey. Ha!

My thought is that 'Milk' is a disturbingly nondescript ingredient. Glycerin should aid lathering, right? This product looks intriguing. It looks harmless. Try it. It may contain an undisclosed ingredient like powdered tiger bum that will mysteriously afford you the smoothest shave and longest-lasting erection you've ever experienced. ; ]

I dropped by for another reason, and intended to be brief, so it seems ironic that I found your post almost immediately: I was planning to post some thoughts a bit later today about a shaving soap which I just tried -- sight-unseen, with no formal idea of the components. It's kinda like buying bathtub gin back in America's Prohibition era. That is very uncharacteristic of me.:001_huh: Ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a reply from the seller. It's not good.

Ingredient list: Coconut oil, Olive oil, Palm oil, Rice Palm oil, Glycerin, Milk

Looks like the olive oil might kill it here, not too sure I want to try this stick anymore... Bugger!

That list is not quite up to international standards, is it? So maybe the sticks are old stock, or intended for domestic consumption only? There is some Thai script on the top flap of the box. No UPC, no indication of manufacturer except the letters "K i M" interspersed with boxes. Apparently no addresses nor phone numbers.

Searching for those "KiM" or "Gus" brands turns up very little. I suspect it is vintage: the same seller also seems to have some older blade packs, or at least older pictures of them. All in all I would not risk my money on it either.

proxy.php

Hmmm. I've never had a soap with Olive oil work well for me.
Especially if it's in the first few ingredients.

Top Bottom