What's new

Gunsmith schools

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I seem to remember one that seemed good that was located in Colorado, but that's been years ago. I do NOT want an online course...hands on training.

I was trained at a Vo-Tech for machine shop and worked for a few years in a machine shop but that was years ago and the old handle cranker stuff and not the newish computer CNC stuff.

I could use a refresher course in machining, specializing in gunsmithing. Location and duration of the course is not an issue now.

Anyone know of anything?

I think I may call Frank Glenn in Phoenix and see what he says.

I think there's two good ones in Colorado. My dad was accepted to attend one of them 10 or 15 years ago but he and my mom both started having health issues and he didn't get there.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think there's two good ones in Colorado. My dad was accepted to attend one of them 10 or 15 years ago but he and my mom both started having health issues and he didn't get there.

I think I'll call Frank. He's a super nice guy.

All I'm expecting out of a good course that includes machine work is to get me where I may be ready to get accepted as an apprentice with some established gunsmith. I will surely not be ready go out on my own.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated though.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I seem to remember one that seemed good that was located in Colorado...
There are two esteemed gunsmith schools that I am aware of...
- Colorado School of Trades, which is located in Lakewood, a western suburb of Denver.
- Trinidad State College, which is located of off I-25, just north of Raton Pass & the NM border. I used to run coal trains down there & trust me when I say that the town is off the beaten trail ... which I love, having grown up in Chicago & presently living near the rat’s nest known as the Front Range (aka, New California).

Last edited:
I attended gunsmith classes presented by Beretta and later Smith and Wesson. Great classes both. Only thing is that they focused only on their products...go figure.
If you are looking to work on only specific brands of firearms, factory schooling is the way to go. More generic? No idea who is a quality program and who is not.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just curious, what type of gunsmithing are you wanting to do?

Specializing in handguns, but also be able to repair/customize rifles and shotguns.

I saw that awhile ago, along with the Trinidad State site. They are both two year associates courses...I could do that easy. Colorado School of Trades has been around a long time...they should have an excellent course.

Colorado had come up when he was talking about it, guess I have slept too many times since then.

I work part time at a local gun shop here in Wisconsin, the owner went to Colorado and attended the Colorado school of the trades, there isn’t anything he can’t do.

He has mentioned a few times it’s the Harvard of the gun smithing schools.

I am friends with a couple of gunsmiths. They are formally trained machinists. One is a skilled stockmarker as well. Both are talented.

I am also friends with a couple of machinists that work on guns. Each specializes in a type of gun or two he works on. They do top notch work on those particular guns, but don't call themselves gunsmiths.

I knew one guy that got a "degree" from a 2 year gunsmith program. He messed up more than he fixed and was out of business in about 2 years.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We do have good gunsmiths here in Okieland.

There're most definitely are. The Ruger Blackhawk I had one in Tulsa do to take the trigger pull to about 2 pounds in the '70s did a great job. It's still as light and crisp, even better, that when he got done with it.

There are also some great shooters. I've been to Riley's indoor range, met him, and saw him shoot. Amazing.

BEST IN THE WORLD Tulsan Wins Bianchi Cup

Top Bottom