What's new

Gun Safes: what to buy?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I actually had to replace my base station (at no cost) and while it was different from the original, I don't think it was the latest version.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well I suppose I wasn't fully aware of it's capability. Good to know.

However, I tried disconnecting my cellular internet and while not connected to the internet, I could not access my cameras on my phone app. So I don't quite understand how the system can work without the usual internet connection. I probably should cal SS tech support.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Hang out with me.. I'm going places. ;)

The technology seems to be a pretty simple set up, nothing extravagant or complex. Have you taken the back off one of your motion sensors and looked for the black switch? SS failed to inform in their set up manuals. My cat kept setting the motion off in the bedroom, because he likes getting on top of the chest of drawers which sits pretty tall and is right below the sensor, which is in the corner top of the room. Since it's a 10 ft ceiling, and the sensor has to be lifted upward to remove from the back to change batteries, I put it at about 9 ft up so I had a foot of play room to remove it for a battery change. This put the cat on the dresser about 3 ft from the sensor. When I went to remove the sensor to relocate it somewhere else? I found the black switches which changes the sensitivity. :)

I also, wouldn't have known about it notifying me of low batteries in the sensors, except they shorted me on one of the lithium 3v 2032 batteries they sent, so I had to get one of my own, which was an old used one I got out of an old scope that had an illuminated reticle I had on top of a Gamo pellet rifle.

It worked for about two days, when the base notified me that the battery in my Guest Room sensor was low. :)

Also, something else they didn't say; The home keypad, if it's dark, you know you can just touch it anywhere on the keypad and the screen and buttons light up at night so you can see to push them, right? Well, I found out, you can also just wave your hand in front of the keypad without touching it and it will sense your hand and automatically light up. :)

Pretty cool eh? (in my best Canadian accent) :)

Lots of comments on here about breaking in. I have always had a similar Stack on locking cabinet as @OkieStubble has. The only reason I have a nice Liberty safe is because my friends went in on it for my 50th birthday…. The only reason I lock up my guns is so that my son’s friends can’t get at them. I do trust him with firearms, but not his friends. He doesn’t know the combination or have a key to any of my locking cabinets. Really, the last thing I’m worried about is somebody stealing my guns. Like I said, previously, I have insurance. None of my guns are worth a fortune or are irreplaceable.

OkieStubble

Lots of comments on here about breaking in. I have always had a similar Stack on locking cabinet as @OkieStubble has. The only reason I have a nice Liberty safe is because my friends went in on it for my 50th birthday…. The only reason I lock up my guns is so that my son’s friends can’t get at them. I do trust him with firearms, but not his friends. He doesn’t know the combination or have a key to any of my locking cabinets. Really, the last thing I’m worried about is somebody stealing my guns. Like I said, previously, I have insurance. None of my guns are worth a fortune or are irreplaceable.

While there is 'Stack On brand' metal gun cabinets Brian, Stack On does also make; official and authentic, actual gun safes just to let you know. :) And those safes is what's in the picture I posted and I do own an actual safe and not a cabinet. :) It's specifications show, it weighs about 400 pounds and it's steel body is made up of 11 Gauge steel. I have owned a Stack On metal cabinet also, I assure you, my Stack On Gun Safe, is not that. :)

In fact I also, used to own a Liberty Colonial 50 Gun safe, that could hold 50 guns and cost me close to $3,000 after tax. It weighed 900 and something pounds and it's body, still only had 12 gauge steel. One less gauge thinner actually, than my Stack On safes body. The higher the gauge, the thinner the steel, so my Stack On safe is actually thicker, than my Liberty safe was. :)

I gave that Liberty safe, to my oldest son when we downsized our home. Depending on the price and size of your Liberty safe you have, there is a good chance of yours, being only somewhere between the 10-14 gauge steel in it's body, around the same as my former Liberty and my current Stack On safe.

Liberty sells safes from 7 gauge to 14 gauge steel safes. Most of their average sized gun safes with steel gauges that range below 10 gauge? Is quite substantial in price and are more then what I want to pay. :)

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Rarely have a phone on me.

I don't either. My Step-daughter gets a little perturbed since she can't get ahold of me "right then", and I don't really text either.

Since I closed my business I don't use email except when I order something and want to check when it's going to arrive.

We should PM pics of our bases and compare? :)

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours. :biggrin1:

I will be looking into the Simply Safe setup. I have been looking for a camera system and this might be a good fit. The home is rarely empty, as my wife is still a stay at home mom, even though the kids are grown. Personally, I prefer it that way, as she invested in the hectic younger years and can now enjoy the freedom away from work. Anyhow, I like the idea that it can be set up without electrical wiring.

I don't either. My Step-daughter gets a little perturbed since she can't get ahold of me "right then", and I don't really text either.

Since I closed my business I don't use email except when I order something and want to check when it's going to arrive.

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours. :biggrin1:
To me, a phone is like a leash on a dog.

OkieStubble

However, I tried disconnecting my cellular internet and while not connected to the internet, I could not access my cameras on my phone app. So I don't quite understand how the system can work without the usual internet connection. I probably should cal SS tech support.

Their ‘so called’ Wi-Fi hotspot, probably is actually satellite cellular and not actual ‘true Wi-Fi’.

You could try leaving your cellular on and turning of the power to your home modem and Wi-Fi and then see what happens?

Didn't read everything, but a real safe is a couple tons. Aka Amsec is what I would love. Cheap and good is a Job Box. Same steel but no fire protection. Most of that is literally drywall btw. Like others have said alarms and deception work great. Hide it, bolt it down. Etc. Multiple hidden residential security containers (safes) make more work and might not be found as well.

Top Bottom