What's new

Gun Safes: what to buy?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My thought is that if the thief were to see a gun safe and make it back out of the house, he or she would be reluctant to come back unless they were certain the house was empty. Otherwise they would likely correctly assume the house is not a soft target.

This. :)

IMG_4227.jpeg

IMG_0782.jpeg

Liberty or Ft. Knox….both are legit.
The SimpliSafe camera adds another level of protection.
All the stuff in the center is temporary clutter while the work crews are finishing the other 3/4’s of the basement.
IMG_4306.jpeg
IMG_4305.jpeg
IMG_4269.jpeg

Last edited:

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I believe that I shared the following story a while back … it certainly falls into, again, the FWIW realm & is by NO means an implication on digital locks, which I know absolutely nothing about & I’m sure are far more advanced & secure.

Just prior to the turn of the century I was hanging out at a friend’s gunshop, perusing (new to the shop) gun safes he had on display. I asked his preference for locks & he said, while electrical key pads are fast & convenient, I prefer traditional combination locks.

He went on to say that a couple weeks earlier one of his regulars, a locksmith by trade, came in to shoot the bull. Their discussion tured to the new safes & after a bit, the locksmith said, “I’ll be right back”. He returned with a magnetic handheld contraption which he slapped onto one of the locked (digital) safe doors. He turned the device on & said, “Give it a few minutes”.

Tom told me that about 15 or 20 minutes later, the decoder beeped and displayed a series of red LED numbers. The locksmith punched the numbers on the safe’s keypad & then opened the now unlocked door.

I have seen gizmos that will open a digital keypad safe. The user unplugs the keypad and plugs the electronic box to the safes plug. It opens the safe in a few seconds.

I believe that I shared the following story a while back … it certainly falls into, again, the FWIW realm & is by NO means an implication on digital locks, which I know absolutely nothing about & I’m sure are far more advanced & secure.

Just prior to the turn of the century I was hanging out at a friend’s gunshop, perusing (new to the shop) gun safes he had on display. I asked his preference for locks & he said, while electrical key pads are fast & convenient, I prefer traditional combination locks.

He went on to say that a couple weeks earlier one of his regulars, a locksmith by trade, came in to shoot the bull. Their discussion tured to the new safes & after a bit, the locksmith said, “I’ll be right back”. He returned with a magnetic handheld contraption which he slapped onto one of the locked (digital) safe doors. He turned the device on & said, “Give it a few minutes”.

Tom told me that about 15 or 20 minutes later, the decoder beeped and displayed a series of red LED numbers. The locksmith punched the numbers on the safe’s keypad & then opened the now unlocked door.

I simply prefer a mechanical lock, but I am glad to hear it took at least 15 minutes. If there is a home security system, that would hopefully be enough time for the police to arrive.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I simply prefer a mechanical lock, but I am glad to hear it took at least 15 minutes. If there is a home security system, that would hopefully be enough time for the police to arrive.
But that decoder was late-90s technology — i.e., might only take 1.5 minutes in 2023! 😆😉

I like keyed, combination dials.

I have a mechanical lock on my Sturdy.
The apparent knock on them is you can’t open them in a hurry.
What Sturdy has done to help with this is you dial your three numbers in and the safe will not open until you turn the dial again to a hard stop the other direction.
No doubt worth thousands. Lol

The windows and doors were already there when we purchased the home.

I recently just got rid of ADT after being with them over 20 years. Equipment was paid off, but they wanted me to continue to pay $70 monthly just for monitoring. Basically, if my alarm tripped, they would get the signal and they would call 911 for me? $70 a month adds up when nothing is happening?

I now, have SimpliSafe. I did a custom order and purchased 6 door & window contacts, 3 motion sensors, a glass break, Doorbell with camera and motion sensor, a main keypad and a central control base for $300. They also threw in one indoor/outdoor camera for free. I self installed all equipment and downloaded their app to my phone, where I self monitor. The use of the app along with the doorbell and camera feed, costs me only $9.99 a month. No contracts. So instead of my system contacting a monitoring service in some other state who calls the police, it contacts me instantly thru notifications thru the app and I can call 911 myself which I way prefer. I think police in general, respond slower to residential alarm systems when a paid monitoring service calls, because they get used to the high percentage of those calls being false activations by the home owner who doesn't report it, or any number of false activation, thunder/lightening, wind, etc. But when an actual home owner calls and tells 911, someone is breaking into my home?

When my SimpliSafe is activated, it automatically, turns on the doorbell camera and the indoor camera and they start recording live video footage. i can watch these cameras from the app in real time from wherever else I may be at the time. If the video shows me that it was just my cat setting it off by climbing the book shelf and licking the motion sensor? I can cancel the alarm and reset the system all from my phone. But if it's a break in, I have strategically overlapped the zones in my house where at least, two of the three types of equipment will signal a break in.

If they break a glass window and then unlock and raise it to get in? The glass break will sound and the window contact will sound. If they just climb thru the broken window without raising it? The glass break will sound and the motion detector will pick up their movements. Kick in a door? Door contact and motion. Cut a hole in the roof or come in thru a skylight? Motion and strategically placed camera which intersects all rooms in the house will capture and record video feed of anyone inside moving room to room. It's all about multiple layers overlapping each other. For $9.99 a month plus the $300 initial equipment investment. I customized my order on the exact equipment I wanted. Many just order several of their main equipment packages which would initially cost less.

And if my cat mauls them to death, then that's just an extra bonus. :)
Motion and a CAT? your alarm must be going off all the time

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Our cats are mostly outdoor cats. They will occasionally trip one of the outdoor cameras, but they have to be very close to the camera to do so. The camera in question is mounted under a low roof of a back porch and the cats have a tower to climb on near the camera. Climbing on the tower sometimes trips the camera, but not always. But if they are walking around down low, even close to the camera, they don't activate it. Of course a human trips the camera from 30 feet away.

My cameras pickup a lot of small animals traveling throught my yard at night. Nearly every morning I have to turn one camera off because it's constantly tripping from a squirrel feeding in one of my driveways.

OkieStubble

I have seen gizmos that will open a digital keypad safe. The user unplugs the keypad and plugs the electronic box to the safes plug. It opens the safe in a few seconds.

Sounds like a professional job.

Dynamite will open a safe if you don’t mind being a bit messy? :)

OkieStubble

Our cats are mostly outdoor cats. They will occasionally trip one of the outdoor cameras, but they have to be very close to the camera to do so. The camera in question is mounted under a low roof of a back porch and the cats have a tower to climb on near the camera. Climbing on the tower sometimes trips the camera, but not always. But if they are walking around down low, even close to the camera, they don't activate it. Of course a human trips the camera from 30 feet away.

I haven’t checked the one free camera SimpliSafe sent me, but the motion sensors and glass breaks have a small black button inside them that can be switched to three different positions of sensitivity. Our living room has a cathedral ceiling so it’s at least 12-14 ft high. We left the sensitivity setting on high.

The bedrooms are only about 10ft, so I set the sensitivity level to medium. It seems to pick up human movement quite easily when we put it in test mode and it ignored the cat, even when he jumped on top of my chest of drawers which sits on the floor beneath the bedroom sensor. When the cat sits on this dresser, he’s just a few feet below the sensor.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Your SS equipment is a more modern vintage than mine. AFAIK I don't have sensitivity settings on mine.
I haven’t checked the one free camera SimpliSafe sent me, but the motion sensors and glass breaks have a small black button inside them that can be switched to three different positions of sensitivity. Our living room has a cathedral ceiling so it’s at least 12-14 ft high. We left the sensitivity setting on high.

The bedrooms are only about 10ft, so I set the sensitivity level to medium. It seems to pick up human movement quite easily when we put it in test mode and it ignored the cat, even when he jumped on top of my chest of drawers which sits on the floor beneath the bedroom sensor. When the cat sits on this dresser, he’s just a few feet below the sensor.

OkieStubble

Your SS equipment is a more modern vintage than mine. AFAIK I don't have sensitivity settings on mine.

What I liked most about the SS when researching them, is how reasonably priced the individual pieces were if something broke and needed replacement. Even the base didn’t seem expensive to replace? I mean, I got everything for $300?

It wouldn’t take long for you to replace a piece here and there and you could update your entire system before too long?

Top Bottom