What's new

gun safe dehumidifier

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm going to pick up a Liberty 12 gun safe tomorrow and was wondering what would be a good temporary dehumidifier. The safe doesn't come with the inside electrical plug-in (have to get one) but it does have the cut-out plate on the back to put one in.

Anything good that's not electrical until I can get a plug-in put in? Never had a safe before.

I would just drill a hole and put a grommet in. It will only take a few minutes. You can get a hard plastic one that is for putting television cable through dry wall. Lowes has them.

Regardless of what kind of dehumidifier you get, I recommend you get a hygrometer to put inside so you will know your actual humidity level.

Last edited:
I have a Liberty safe. I don't think you will have an issue, but you can always put a light inside to keep out moisture.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Rifle and pistol socks with impregnated silicons work pretty well for storing firearms that are not being used.

Big ol' sack of silica gel, labeled as kitty litter but pure unscented silica gel good enough for cigar humidors...sold at Walmart and pet stores.
proxy.php

Big ol' sack of silica gel, labeled as kitty litter but pure unscented silica gel good enough for cigar humidors...sold at Walmart and pet stores.
proxy.php

This is what I use.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the blue crystal scattered throughout these packets is for show only.

It is not an indicating crystal (eg cobalt chloride which turns from blue to pink as it absorbs moisture) so if you want to know when it's time to recharge you need to separately buy a jar of that.

I put a small handful of cobalt chloride at the bottom of a large glass jar which I then fill with silica kitty litter. When it tuns pink it's time to recharge.

Cobalt chloride is being implicated as a possible carcinogen so a lot of commercial dehumidifiers like the Eva Dry above have changed the indicator to a non toxic iron compound that changes from orange to green.

Apart from the extra cost the iron compound is much more heat sensitive than cobalt chloride and can easily be "damaged" during recharge.

I much prefer using the crystals to either a lamp or heat rod.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks guys...I have NO experience in gun safes. All, or most, of my firearms are hanging horizontally on a peg board with a covering to camouflage it. Haven't had a problem in 30 years.

But...I'd feel better when I leave for a few days if they were in a safe...it's not like Granddad's days. And this reminds me...my passport expires in a couple of months.

The kitty litter looks good for what I need for short term until I learn a bit more about this. It sounds about like a humidor for cigars.

Oh Good Lord...now I'm thinking about going to cigars along with my pipes. I really don't need that. :lol:

When I lived in humid Florida, a dehumidifier was a must. I tried many different kinds until I used a rechargeable silica gel canister. The beads would change color when they then had to be "recharged" in an oven. Kept everything in the safe dry for the ten years I lived there.

This is the one I used. It is made by a company called Lockdown.

proxy.php

Liberty safes have an electrical outlet port.
You can buy a goldenrod!
They work great. I've ran one for the last 10 years with out issue. And I'm I. Your neck of the woods, well relatively close.
$IMG_0284.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
"Oh Good Lord...now I'm thinking about going to cigars along with my pipes. I really don't need that. :lol:"
I'll be watching for the "Safe-ador" thread in the Brown Leaf!

Liberty safes have an electrical outlet port.
You can buy a goldenrod!
They work great. I've ran one for the last 10 years with out issue. And I'm I. Your neck of the woods, well relatively close.

This is what I use in my safe (since I have a hole for electrical).

Thanks guys...I have NO experience in gun safes. All, or most, of my firearms are hanging horizontally on a peg board with a covering to camouflage it. Haven't had a problem in 30 years.

But...I'd feel better when I leave for a few days if they were in a safe...it's not like Granddad's days. And this reminds me...my passport expires in a couple of months.

The kitty litter looks good for what I need for short term until I learn a bit more about this. It sounds about like a humidor for cigars.

Oh Good Lord...now I'm thinking about going to cigars along with my pipes. I really don't need that. :lol:

FWIW, my suggestion wasn't based on any experience with gun safes, just cigar humidors. I wish I had remembered to qualify my post with that statement. Glad to see someone else DOES use that stuff for guns successfully.

And yeah, you should totally get into cigars! :w00t:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Question: If I just ran an extension cord through the cutout hole in the back of the safe would it compromise the integrity of the fire protection?

This is the electrical outlet I'm thinking about getting later.

http://www.libertysafe.com/accessory-electrical-outlet-kit-ps-17-pg-47.html

I just picked up a rechargeable dehumidifier when I got the safe for right now.

$IMG_0008.jpg

Atwood's has been having sales on safes for the last few weeks. A couple of weeks ago they had the Liberty Centurion 12 gun safes for $350 and yesterday they were $380.

I was able to put all 9 of my long guns in it and 3 were scoped rifles. There's room for one more. Now I need to figure out how to cram 13 handguns in there. :biggrin1:

Question: If I just ran an extension cord through the cutout hole in the back of the safe would it compromise the integrity of the fire protection?

This is the electrical outlet I'm thinking about getting later.

http://www.libertysafe.com/accessory-electrical-outlet-kit-ps-17-pg-47.html

I just picked up a rechargeable dehumidifier when I got the safe for right now.

View attachment 708233

Atwood's has been having sales on safes for the last few weeks. A couple of weeks ago they had the Liberty Centurion 12 gun safes for $350 and yesterday they were $380.

I was able to put all 9 of my long guns in it and 3 were scoped rifles. There's room for one more. Now I need to figure out how to cram 13 handguns in there. :biggrin1:
Time for a second safe? Great problem to have.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's a nice thought there Cris...I just got this one and now I need another. :biggrin1:

It was all my skinny butt and my 95 pound SWMBO could do to get that thing unloaded from the back of the truck onto the back porch and onto a dolly, then up two steps through the door to the room, then get it to its place...Whew...almost couldn't get it but we gritted it out. It was tough with no help.

I got everything in it awhile ago in case I go to Mexico or one of the Northern states that don't allow legal firearms. I need to try those under shelf handgun holders to get some space between them. That would give me some room on the shelf for some ammo, but I have chest for ammo. This reminds me...I need to renew passports.

A DIY thing I saw looks good...I have a full sized peg board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSjzszcOLGk

$IMG_0001.jpg

$IMG_0002.jpg

$IMG_0003.jpg

$IMG_0005.jpg

$IMG_0006.jpg

[MENTION=27468]simon1[/MENTION] looks like a great collection. Must be a lot of fun at the range. I had one of my boys help me with the safe and it was still rough.

Liberty sells these door holster things which make a lot of sense. Also, it is not a bad idea to set your safe up on hockey pucks. This creates an air flow beneath the safe floor. Can help minimize condensation. I don't use a dehumidifier. Don't have problems

$IMG_1626.jpg
$IMG_1628.jpg

Top Bottom