What's new

Guitar players who wet shave.help

13's! Wow! I'm on 9's, and would love to go to 8's, but those chaps are THIN! Can't imagine banging on 13's!

13's are an extreme for a heavy blues tone. If you want to sound like SRV or Hendrix, that's a start (and not the end).
8's are just too thin. The tone is very lacking, no power in the bottom end. Ya', you can make up for it in the amp, but you just end up with thin tone that's boosted. The only way I would even consider running anything lighter than 10's is for open-C tuning (BadCo).

Stick with the 9's and work up to 10's, which are pretty standard. Hang backstage with many pro bands and 9 out of 10 guitars you pick up will have 10's.

Don't sweat the callouses, they will come with time, but don't over-practice. Heavy playing before your pads are ready will create hard, corn-like callouses that will peel off at the slightest irritation or with a week without playing. Keep it to an hour or less per day for a few months. Within a year, you'll be able to play 10's or 11's without even thinking about it.

As mentioned above... a 12 string acoustic will be a blast!

$s500-2.jpg

I use a really heavy gauge for my strat and acoustic guitars. Never had a problem with callouses. If you play often enough they'll be there.

wow, apparently there are a lot of us guitar players here, lol. but i concur with everyone. just play your guitar regularly and you'll be fine. i've been playing for about 25 years and i still don't have really hard, thick "calluses"; it's more like a thick, de-sensitized fingertip (if that makes sense). the only problems i've had with moisture is when i was a mechanic and was washing my hands 20 times a day. sometimes my fingernails would peel away from the meet when i did a lot of bending with heavy strings like 12s (i play mostly blues). anyway, good luck with both your endeavors.

You can also do what rock climbers all over the world do and use the climbOn Bar on your callouses. It's a lotion bar that helps reduce the pain your feeling and also feeds your skin -- conditions the callouses to be stronger. It helps prevent "flappers" -- when a dried up callous peels off.

Anyway, here's the link. http://skinourishment.com/collections/climbon/products/climb-on-original-bar

Trust me, what we pickers do to our finger tips is mild stuff compared to what rock climbers are doing. This stuff really works.

I've been playing about 18 months (Blues) and I agree with the above statement of I'm not real sure I have "callouses" as much as my finger tips have just become stronger. Might be the same thing... I HAVE lost some skin due to pool time though when I first started and was ticked! Lol, didn't take long to come back though...

Top Bottom