What's new

Guilty TV pleasures

OK, I have to admit I am not much of a TV watcher. However, those nights when you are totally brain dead, exhausted, and need some sort of mindless release you end up getting hooked on some terrible television program. Let's hear your guilty pleasures.

I am embarrassed to admit it, but I am a hopeless watcher of Hell's Kitchen and Rock Star: Supernova. I have a thing for really bad reality shows. My wife sometimes watches Wife Swap, and I must admit a morbid fascination in watching those deeply disturbed parents and feeling better about myself.

In the rare occasion I have time to watch a little TV, I watch whatever my wife Tivos. These days that includes So You Think You Can Dance and America's Got Talent. I LOVE that talent show. Hilarious, shocking, ridiculous, etc...

Reality shows, especially those that involve "tallents" (singing, dancing, etc) irk me so much that I cannot describe it. In fact, I should have mentioned those in the "What annoys you?" thread... I do watch TV, but I am exceptionally boring about it... my favourite shows are news, weater, hockey (NHL) and some cartoons that are aimed at older audiences (Family guy, etc). As for a "guilty pleasure", well, I would have to go with re-runs of shows that I watched as a child such as the Muppets.

Have you seen that America's Got Talent show? It's very much different the the American Idols of the tv world. Last week some girl shot a bow and arrow with her feet standing on her hands. She hit the bullseye. Incredible!

letterk said:
Have you seen that America's Got Talent show? It's very much different the the American Idols of the tv world. Last week some girl shot a bow and arrow with her feet standing on her hands. She hit the bullseye. Incredible!

I've seen commercials for it... and it just doesn't interest me... I'll stick with weather and news when I want reality on TV (well, as far as the news is concerned it is at least closer to reality). If I want real reality... well, I could always go outside and perhaps interact with people - now that would be real!
:001_smile

A&E has some cool shows that you should check out if you haven't.

Inked - about a tatto joint

Mind Freak - Criss Angel does illusions and other tricks

King of Cars - Life inside the biggest car dealership in the nation

You'd almost think that the City of Las Vegas purchased A&E since all three of these shows are based there!

24 addict here. If you don't watch it, don't start: it's wetshaving for your eyes. I'm also a fan of House. That's pretty much the only TV I feel compelled to watch.

Sad to say, Dr Who is my current favourite. Been watching it since the very beginning all those years ago.

The latest series ended last weekend so no more Who until the Christmas special.

Like several above, I quite enjoy House when I remember it's on. I've heard that most people didn't realize Hugh Laurie, whos plays House, is a Brit!

Cheers

Gareth

The Sopranos--fading, but still good

Big Love--will make your wife wish you had more wives, but not you!

The Office

Scrubs

I totally forgot to add Scrubs and The Offiice. I usually only watch 2 hours a week, and those two are first in line when they're new episodes.

letterk said:
I totally forgot to add Scrubs and The Offiice. I usually only watch 2 hours a week, and those two are first in line when they're new episodes.

I also really lke these two shows. Another favorite of mine is Dirty Jobs on the Discovery channel.

Oh, yeah. I forgot Battlestar Galactica! (Geek alert!!) Of course, since I don't have cable it is more of a Netflix guilty pleasure...

galopede said:
S I've heard that most people didn't realize Hugh Laurie, whos plays House, is a Brit!

Ha! Even though I don't watch House, I immediately recognized Mr. Laurie from " Sense and Sensability" starring Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, and Alan Rickman. He played the long suffering husband to a woman who couldn't shut her gob. He was perfect as the deadpan dad. I am impressed at how he hides his English accent on House.

Regards, Todd

jfm said:
Oh, yeah. I forgot Battlestar Galactica! (Geek alert!!) Of course, since I don't have cable it is more of a Netflix guilty pleasure...

Me too! I was more than skeptical when this show was first advertised. In my estimation, it's the best new series to hit tv in years. Edward James Olmos as Admiral Adama is super. The guy who plays Dr. Baltar is fantastic. The girl who plays 6? A most beautiful temptress. I wonder who will get knocked off first, her or Baltar?

Regards, Todd

BTW, since the post asked for guilty pleasures, how about the SciFi movies like Slayer, The Forgotten Ones, and Raptor Island? Geek alert, geek alert!

Regards, Todd

>> LOST
>> 24 (I used to like this in the earlier seasons, but I really can't watch it now that they seem to use torture as the default method of getting information)
>> The Simpsons (again, not so much anymore - but the older episodes were GOLD)
>> Futurama (RIP)
>> Most anything on the Food Network
>> America's Test Kitchen on PBS

Well, if we're going to do Food Network. . .

Good Eats is my fave

I'm very over Emeril, though my wife and I had one of our all-time best meals at his restaurant in New Orleans--pre-Katrina. . .and the man himself came in just as we were being seated. I asked the waiter if Emeril cooked my dinner, and he just smiled at me like I was 4 and had asked him if there was really a Santa Claus. . .and said, "Yes, sir, he did.":biggrin:

Are they still producing new episodes of Dr Who? I thought Peter Davisson(Is that the right name?) was the last Doctor. Wow! I haven't seen Dr Who in 6 years, as I never seem to be living in an area with a decent PBS station. Also, means I miss out on Red Dwarf. The local PBS atleast shows Red Green on Saturday night.

My show is Grey's Anatomy. I haven't missed a single episode, and no one calls me during, or they end up talking to themselves(even chefchris).

galopede said:
Sad to say, Dr Who is my current favourite. Been watching it since the very beginning all those years ago.

The latest series ended last weekend so no more Who until the Christmas special.

Like several above, I quite enjoy House when I remember it's on. I've heard that most people didn't realize Hugh Laurie, whos plays House, is a Brit!

Cheers

Gareth

Top Bottom