What's new

Guilty Pleasures

What are some of the foods that you enjoy that others (household members or not) can't stand?

Alternatively, what is a food you enjoy but makes you feel guilty every time you eat it?

Mine is canned smoked oysters. I love them, especially with some Frank's Red Hot on them. My wife HATES all things seafood and the smell makes her gag.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Fresh seafood has no smell. If it smells like the beach or ocean that's a good thing. Maybe that's why people don't eat seafood...if it smells fishy it's a turn off. Quite frankly its the most healthy thing you could put in your mouth.

Sardines will turn up a persons nose. I love them and eat them every week. I like them with a little spicy mustard and fresh ground black pepper or hot sauce. Also try them with a splash of apple cider vinegar.

Fresh seafood has no smell. If it smells like the beach or ocean that's a good thing. Maybe that's why people don't eat seafood...if it smells fishy it's a turn off. Quite frankly its the most healthy thing you could put in your mouth.

Sardines will turn up a persons nose. I love them and eat them every week. I like them with a little spicy mustard and fresh ground black pepper or hot sauce. Also try them with a splash of apple cider vinegar.
I do also love canned smoked herring. Smells a bit better than the oysters, haven't had sardines in a while.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
White Castle. My wife HATES it but I grew up in Detroit and miss it greatly, until I’m 4-5 double cheese in...
Oh my god, YES. White Castle is one of the things I miss about Cleveland. Order up a sack and go to town. Great milkshakes, too.

Enjoy White Castles when I can get them (usually on an I-70 marathon drive). Also like Spam especially when it is fried crisp or in fried rice. Love corned beef hash when homemade but will eat it out of the can. Family favorite is peanut butter and bacon on toast.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Enjoy White Castles when I can get them (usually on an I-70 marathon drive). Also like Spam especially when it is fried crisp or in fried rice. Love corned beef hash when homemade but will eat it out of the can. Family favorite is peanut butter and bacon on toast.
All good. I also like peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. The sweet and tart work well together.

I love canned oysters, sardines, kippered snacks. My wife And second grader hates them. When I open a tin my teenage son comes running to get his share. I have been craving Hormel tamales in the can. Haven’t had them in years. I looked at the salt content at the store and WOW. I am supposed to watch my salt intake so I didn’t buy them. Use to crush up saltine crackers on top of them.

It's a long list. Durian, bugs of all kinds though silkworm pupae would be tops ,.shrimp paste and fish sauce, snake, eel, prahok (another fermented fish thing)...my daughter (who was born in Cambodia) will tolerate some of it but the rest of the household in California noooo.

Guilty pleasures though... peanut butter-banana-bacon sandwich .

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

It's a long list. Durian, bugs of all kinds though silkworm pupae would be tops ,.shrimp paste and fish sauce, snake, eel, prahok (another fermented fish thing)...my daughter (who was born in Cambodia) will tolerate some of it but the rest of the household in California noooo.

I don't mind bugs actually. I had some mealworms with barbecue flavoring from the gift shop outside the Mummy ride in Universal Studios. Just tasted like slightly nutty barbecue chips to me.

Guilty pleasures though... peanut butter-banana-bacon sandwich .

My kids love shrimp paste on rice. i like to add it to fried rice. My wife tried silkworm pupae in Vietnam and was grossed out. LOL her family likes a salted fish think called Hom Yee (Cantonese) a hunk is steamed on top of ground pork. Or used in fried rice, the only way I like it. Some batches are so pungent it puts me off. Yet her family loves it.

I like peanut butter banana sandwiches with honey. One of my go to lunches to bring on a fishing trip.

What part of California are you in?

My kids love shrimp paste on rice. i like to add it to fried rice. My wife tried silkworm pupae in Vietnam and was grossed out. LOL her family likes a salted fish think called Hom Yee (Cantonese) a hunk is steamed on top of ground pork. Or used in fried rice, the only way I like it. Some batches are so pungent it puts me off. Yet her family loves it.

I like peanut butter banana sandwiches with honey. One of my go to lunches to bring on a fishing trip.

What part of California are you in?
Haha I forgot to mention the honey on the sandwich, that's essential! I can't believe my kid won't eat peanut butter...

I'm in the north San Fernando Valley.

I don't mind bugs actually. I had some mealworms with barbecue flavoring from the gift shop outside the Mummy ride in Universal Studios. Just tasted like slightly nutty barbecue chips to me.
I missed that one (not going back for it). A lot of bugs have a rather strong aftertaste but initial flavor simply reflects what it's cooked in. Like grasshoppers as they do in Thailand, salty crunchy with a bit of an aftertaste but not as strong as crickets.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Was loading mealworms into the bird feeder, smelled like chips or pork rinds.

AA

Top Bottom