What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

Hello all, I just scored another ABC set today, www.ebay.com/itm/161214958701
I have a question about it. From the photo series the seller made I noticed there seems to be two series of numbers printed on the comb guard plate. The razor appears to have a C 72547 serial number on one side, and an L series number on the other. Is it certain that repaired razors were imprinted with an L number after they were repaired? I can't explain what else this number could be if it is not a repair number. Also in looking at the top cap, it seems different than my other ABC sets. Could this be a Frankenrazor? Thanks for any input about this razor. I appreciate all response.

Hello all, I just scored another ABC set today, www.ebay.com/itm/161214958701
I have a question about it. From the photo series the seller made I noticed there seems to be two series of numbers printed on the comb guard plate. The razor appears to have a C 72547 serial number on one side, and an L series number on the other. Is it certain that repaired razors were imprinted with an L number after they were repaired? I can't explain what else this number could be if it is not a repair number. Also in looking at the top cap, it seems different than my other ABC sets. Could this be a Frankenrazor? Thanks for any input about this razor. I appreciate all response.

I read that the New Improved razors indicated the L as a special engraved model razor.

$Capture.jpg

shave wiki has the L as repaired units.

19J7345‑J999999
K1‑K927216
1920K927217‑K999999
M1‑M999999
N1‑N459887
Annual sales exceed 2.1M razors in 1920. "L" was not used as a serial number prefix as it had already been used to stamp razors returned for repair.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hello there!

A question, quick one. Did all of the ABC come in either silver or gold, or did they use other metals on them? (like chrome, nickel?)

Heres mine:

Attachments

• $IMGP1655.jpg
    $IMGP1655.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 208
  • $IMGP165.jpg
    $IMGP165.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 210
  • $IMGP1667.jpg
    $IMGP1667.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 210
  • $IMGP1687.jpg
    $IMGP1687.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 206
  • $IMGP1691.jpg
    $IMGP1691.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 205
I don't have enough knowledge to make a determination as to whether it's a mismatch, however I have seen several of the Canadian ABC sets with a smooth ball Old Type razor in them. Don't count it a mismatch yet! Those smooth ball Old Types are a bit rare. Is your set Canadian? If it is, then you might have a hard time dating it, since the dating information for the Canadian sets is not complete. By the way, I think I bid against you on that set a week or so ago! I was interested in the smooth ball end Old Type. I think they are cool. Nice set by the way also. The case looks to me to be pre 1912 due to the type of clasp. There is another thread about these cases related to this thread. Anyway I hope my input helped, but I am not expert with these sets even though I own a few.

It might be canadian since i bought it in an antique store just next to my place (south shore of montreal canada). So no bidding war on this one ;). From reading more, i do believe it is a canadian made one. No idea on dating though... View attachment 421152

This is the only thing that could help the dating!

Thanks for the input though!

It might be canadian since i bought it in an antique store just next to my place (south shore of montreal canada). So no bidding war on this one ;). From reading more, i do believe it is a canadian made one. No idea on dating though... View attachment 421152

This is the only thing that could help the dating!

Thanks for the input though!
I will input the razor in the Canadian shave wiki date chart.

In there now.............. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Canada_Dating_Information?redirect=no

C 1028610286Single Ringstandard-bullet-noNumber on barrel.
attachment.php
C 4423644236Single RingstandardbulletnoBelongs to B&B/flashover604 ---- from BOTOC thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...n-Comb/page857
C 1320913209PocketSmooth
ball
B&B Azawhak , http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...07#post5994607
PC 2170821708Pocketstandardpunched downABCpatchnoFrom B&B/Jagger Gold Empire set http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...-numbers/page4

It might be canadian since i bought it in an antique store just next to my place (south shore of montreal canada). So no bidding war on this one ;). From reading more, i do believe it is a canadian made one.

Yes, it's definitely a Canadian one. They did their own handles on these early Pocket Editions when the ABC handles were being used in the States, and this is the most common of the three (or four, depending on how you want to count) variations that I'm aware of. It's still fairly uncommon, though, just given the kind of volume that these would have been made in originally.

Thanks Alex! I guess there is no real way of dating it huh?

We're still trying to sort out the dating there, that's why I'm interested in gathering the other attributes of the razors and cases they were found with -- to try and line those up against similar changes in the American models.

Yours is a bit perplexing, actually. Most of the indicators would seem to point to that being a fairly early model in the Canadian timeline: latch closure on the case and punched-down guard plate collar, though I can't tell whether the cap studs are rounded or bullet-shaped from that one angle. However, I would expect the serial number to have a "PC" prefix rather than the "C" that it's got. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a "C" prefix on a Canadian Pocket Edition -- just on their early Single Rings. I can think of three possible explanations:

1. The serial number should have been "PC" but the stamp was done incorrectly (or incompletely, though there doesn't seem to be even a hint of a partial strike).
  2. The guard plate got swapped for an American C-series one at some point.
  3. Our understanding of Canadian serial numbers is even foggier than we thought.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394205085.396735.jpg

Also found a small crack on top of the ball end, read about those somewhere too but can't find it anymore, that might help too...

Top Bottom