What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

Are there any other markings on the razor? I've never seen a handle like that one and I have a feeling that it was not originally part of a set with that case.

The case, razor cap and guard look like they were made by ABC. Only ABC razors had these more rounded blade positioning posts. The handle looks to be a replacement. In the inside of the case is there any material left where the trade mark would normally go? You are resting the razor in the that part of the case.

Len

according to the database the serial number on mine :D866440 said it's a 1917
but there's another number on the other side :L9630o .what does this mean?
full

Last edited by a moderator:
in fact i can't really said if it is a B a D or a E it's hard to read .it's a model 505 with the shell patern and the leather case .

The letters are often horribly difficult to read. The only reason I ask is that it impacts the discussion about production dates for these sets. If it is original to the set, which seems entirely likely, and it is a "D," then I think this would probably be one of the latest ones found. But if there is some question about it even being an "E," then I would assume a "B" is most likely what it was stamped with, which would be much more expected for an ABC set.

thanks for the info ,after a closer pic it happens that you're right it's a B so it qualify as a 1911 .it's hard to tell even with a lens because the letter is not well stamped.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be really frustrating how poorly stamped some of the letters are, especially in a case like this one. Either way, it is a beautiful set. And that leather case (both inside and out) looks near mint. You did very, very well on that find. I'm still looking for a leather cased one.

according to the database the serial number on mine :D866440 said it's a 1917
but there's another number on the other side :L9630o .what does this mean?

Yes it's a B.
I have an Empire razor with ser# B861092 and L96946. It's pretty close to mine.

Len

[QUOTE Also note that most ABC razors I (Len) found do not have the Gillette Diamond trademark found on other Gillette pocket razors. [/QUOTE]

this is like reading a history book- great research and presentation of the information!
question- how common/uncommon was it for the abc cases to be paired with razors with the gillette logo/made in usa on the base plate w/o serial numbers? i ask because i seem to have one (silver basket weave with double ring shell handle.)

If it is an Old Type head, then I'm pretty sure that the Gillette logo w/ the Made In USA imprint combined with a lack of a serial number on an Old Type head suggests that it was made after the introduction of the New Improved line (1921). As such, it would not be original to the set. Also, I seem to recall one selling on eBay not too long ago that sounds like the one you describe. If it is the one I'm thinking about, it had a New Improved head, which is also not original to the set. Is there any chance that you could post a photo or two of the head?

Last edited:
Gillette continued to make these sets for some time after ABC stopped producing them. You will find many Gillette Old Type ball end pocket razors in ABC style cases. ABC stopped making razors at some point before or during WWI. I don't believe ABC ever made this style razor and even if they did it would be before Gillette stopped serilaizing all razors. Another clue is to study the blade positioning posts on the cap. The ABC blade positioning posts were short and had rounded tips where the Gillette blade posts were more pointy. There is a photo showing this difference in Brian's first post in this thread.

Len

[QUOTE Is there any chance that you could post a photo or two of the head?[/QUOTE]
i'll try when i have the chance, but my photo skills aren't as good as most of the members.

Thanks for the information, that is. Before these threads, I wasn't even sure that I had an ABC Pocket Edition, or whether it was a made by Gillette version. Now I know that what I have is a 1910 ABC, with the type 4 handle shown here, in silver, with the plain gunmetal case.

Whew! May not be worth a fortune, but I love owning this piece of history.

I'm not sure if this is a handle variation, or just a gross example of tolerances not being perfect.
The handle on the right is about a millimeter longer. They are identical all the way up the handle until the end of the scroll work, so the difference in length is entirely in the threaded end. Another thing - while the longer handle will thread on to other heads, and the head that it came with will thread onto other handles, the set will not thread together at all. I can put the handle onto the head freely without turning it.

proxy.php

I wonder if the end was shortened in order to get at the threads that were never reached. That's a shame because except for the Empire handle the Scroll is probably the least common. Have you figured a way to get it fixed yet?

Len

I won this fancy case on the Bay. It has no lining, blade case or razor. I liked the design and thought I may be able to find a razor for it. Do these ever show up alone? Is the Empire deluxe razor the only correct one for the case, or does it matter which one goes in it? I can probably reline the case without the logos.
Russ

You have a really nice Empire case there. It's worth the effort to reline it. Generally the set came with a gold Empire razor but Gillette mixed and matched the sets so quite a few different combinations show up. The Scroll handle razor does not have a matching case so it can be paired with any case. The Shell handle razor is what is most seen in a mixed set. The Empire razor will show up alone from time to time but they are snapped up pretty quickly so you must be always on the lookout for one. It may take you awhile to find what you're looking for but it's worth it in the long run.

Len

I wonder if the end was shortened in order to get at the threads that were never reached. That's a shame because except for the Empire handle the Scroll is probably the least common. Have you figured a way to get it fixed yet?

Len

Not sure I understand about shortening it. I would prefer not to chop up the handle, and the threads come all the way out to the end, which is also odd. On my other sets, the hole is sort of tapered where the threads start. These threads start right at the end and meet it at a sharp right angle.
The solution that seems to work is to swap heads with another scroll handle set.

Top Bottom