What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

The studs seem rounded from what i see. Any help on identifying?

Not the rivets on the case. The studs on underside of the razor's cap that hold the blade in place. The earlier ones were rounded like the razors in the American ABC sets, and later ones seemed to shift over to the bullet-shaped studs just like the American Pocket Editions did.

Also found a small crack on top of the ball end, read about those somewhere too but can't find it anymore, that might help too...

Yes, that's the scratch that I've talked about before. It seems to have been a pretty consistent manufacturing defect in these models. Here's one thread where I mentioned it, and if you look at the razor that started the thread, you can see that it's an example of the later model design that I mentioned above with the bullet-shaped studs and the "punched-up" guard plate. And then lower down in that thread is an example of what would seem to be a transitional model that has the bullet-shaped studs, but still has the punched-down guard plate and "PC" prefixed serial number.

I see! Well, they do seem to be round :

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394216548.066037.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394216571.766834.jpg

So that would definitely be an older model? Is guessing around 1910 from the rest of the research i made plausible?

Thank you so much for the help and i am quite happy with my find then!!

Beautiful razor, Aaron. Congrats!

Thanks Jim ! I tried so long to get an ABC they are so hard to get in bidding wars and this one was in great condition and the price was astoundingly fair the price gougers were not out that night. I hope to someday get a nice Empire set that is my ultimate ABC to get into my collection.

Good day men, it seems I've got two different smooth ball handles in my two Canadian ABC sets. I will post some photos and some more information in a few minutes.

OK, I have two separate Canadian ABC sets with Smooth Ball End Old Types, both are thinner in diameter than a standard Ball End Old Type. The razor handle on the left is 7.5mm wide in the center, and 7.3cm long. The razor handle on the right is 8.5mm wide, and 7.5cm long. A standard Ball End Old Type from 1918 is 9mm wide and 7.7cm long. As you will see in the photo, not only are the two cases of a different pattern, but the clasp is different on each as well. The photo shows each razor below their respective cases. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426104379.868721.jpg
I just wanted to post this anomaly in case anyone might have two sets like mine and didn't notice there are two different sizes of Smooth Ball Old Types that these sets came with. Also I would like any input on a possible date of manufacture for each set. Thanks in advance.

Thank you Achim, I find it unusual that there would be two different size Smooth Ball Old Types used in these sets, which are more common, the thinnest one?

Like Achim said, the clasp-style latch that you've got on the right was only used for the first couple of years that the Pocket Editions were made. After that they switched to the four-rivet cases, like the one you've got on the left, and then after that -- around 1915, give or take -- they switched to the two-rivet cases. That last change is also right around when Gillette in the States stopped using ABC's solid cast handles and switched to the hollow-tube ball-end handles.

In Canada, things are a bit more murky. We would assume that the case latch changes happened with roughly similar timing, but we're not really sure yet about the razor handles. The Canadian company appears to have developed their own handle styles, and so presumably weren't involved with the ABC contract directly. They may have continued to use their own style handles for a time after the Boston plant had switched to the standard Ball Ends.

I'm aware of the two different handle sizes like you've got there, but I'm afraid I can't tell you anything more about them than that they exist and that the thicker style seems to be the older of the two.

If the blade case that you've got on the left is reliably original to the set, that could help with dating it a bit, too. Those blade cases don't seem to have started being used until the middle of the decade -- around about 1914 or 1915.

Have you posted your examples over in the Gillette Canada Serial Numbers thread yet?

Hi,

I picked up (for a dollar) what I think is the Vienna Pocket Razor. The case is pretty beat up and it has been relined (badly). It's missing the handle. I put on a Tech handle and it shave great!

Does anyone know where or how I might find one? Thanks

$IMG_0859.jpg

Hi,

I picked up (for a dollar) what I think is the Vienna Pocket Razor. The case is pretty beat up and it has been relined (badly). It's missing the handle. I put on a Tech handle and it shave great!

Does anyone know where or how I might find one? Thanks

View attachment 594132
You could try the mass online auction site. I've gotten a few of these sets due to misrepresentation/parts/etc.

The handle is usually in 2 pieces, and the smaller piece nests inside the larger one.

Unless it said Gillette on the case, I personally wouldn't break the $20 mark for a complete set in good condition. These seem to be commonly made in Germany and Austria if you want search bar help. A lot of auctions only show the outer part of the handle, meaning the inside piece is either missing, or seller is unaware of the nesting factor.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of what you're looking for.... The auctions I saw today were a bit overpriced in my opinion, but this is what the handle looks like nonetheless.

Fairly common sets, should be no problem to get a reasonably priced one with a little patience.

$uploadfromtaptalk1439751025565.jpg

Great informative thread!.:thumbup1:

I believe mine's date code is A (or I?,cannot really tell) 888781 (1909)?,with a 'G' in a 'D' on the bottom,and rounded teeth base plate.Case is hinged,patent and King Gillette markings on bottom of case.Case lining had totally had it,all that could be seen was 'Paris' up in the top left hand corner.Has the 'matchbook' style blade case,with the 'Gillette in a diamond' markings,shell with two rings handle.
All plating had long gone when I got it,and I certainly not talking patina!,it was mainly all black!.Now it all shines in brass,and the case has been relined,and it is my daily driver!.Fantastic shaver for sure!.Sorry 'bout the bad pic.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Here's some photo's of a recent addition to my ABC collection.
The Razor is a Shell pattern with tapered handle in Silver, the case is plain Silver plated. The embroidered label was missing when I bought the set.
The razor has a serial # G058897 and the guard and cap have the Gillette diamond stamped on them, the case base has the patent info on this case the patent numbers are stamped on rather than the dates. I've seen these referred to as British sets, (I'm in the UK and bought it from a UK seller).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom