What's new

Guidance for DE usage around my beard.

1. I am a pig as far as shaving goes; I have shaved for years with cartridge razors, usually Mach 3 and the like -- I wish to reform!

2. I sometimes don't change the cartridge for months; shave still fine, just push harder:blink: !

3. I am concerned about cleanness of shave, safety and reasonable speed of completion; growth probably medium, not wire, not peachfuzz;

4. All of the above said, I think I want to go DE, medium aggressive; I wear a beard (not clean shaven since '91) and I need to be reasonably artistic in shaving up to and not over the line;

5. Due to beard, I really want to avoid brush/lather and use a shaving product that provides translucency with lubrication; this could be a bar I rub on face, a cream, I've been known to use hair conditioner! Will use witch hazel; bay rum -- brand suggestions?

6. I would like to understand comb vs. no comb, shaving oil (can I shave with it?) and any suggestions re razors, blades probably longer handle, lower cost.

Many thanks, Bearded Ones!
​

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Why avoid a brush and lather? Most of the good shaving soaps are just that, soap. It washes off very quickly and easily after the shave. I also keep a beard a lot, and have no issues with soaps. I also find that the DE razor is much better at trimming around the beard than a cart or electric. The 3 piece razors are better than a TTO to get in tight for a nice accurate trim. Open or close comb doesnt make a difference to me. They both work equally well at trimming around the beard.

I had a Van Dyke for many years, The razor that I found best for working along the edges was the the three-piece Gillette Old type.

I found the thin head profile provided the best maneuverability.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Good ol shaving cream is great when you have a beard. You can apply it and draw lines it it to decide where you want the edge of your beard to be. Once your beard is established you can tell by feel where the edge of your beard is. When you get out of the stubble and begin to cut longer hairs you can feel the greater tug. Maybe areas of your beard start to get wider or narrower over time . . . easy fix . . draw the lines in the cream again and shave up to the line for a few days.

I've had a beard for many years. I use a DE razor with a FAT brush and soap. Normally get soap all in my beard and can still tell where the line is on my beard. I keep it trimmed low too. Not long haired beard. I use a three piece razor most the time but I use a TTO too but the three piece is better for beard edges.

Like everyone is saying above. Plus, I've seen some creams that are see thru as my barber uses one but no idea what it is. I had to quit letting him shave and trim my beard as I can do it better than him and its more fun doing it myself.

I used to change my beard and/or mustache every year or two, out of boredom - van Dyke, handlebar, circle, Klingon, goatee, etc.) I may end up going to a pencil mustache for a part in a play this fall, for what I hope will be a creepy effect.
I have recently gone from a full beard to circle beard (because it's not enough fun shaving just neck and cheeks) and am wondering if a smaller brush would be useful for avoiding getting much of the lather lost in the beard hair.
It does provide sort of a reservoir for extra lather in the middle of a pass, but most of it just goes to waste.
Also, I might be just looking for an excuse for buying a Simpsons "Wee Scot" brush (handle height: 31 mm / Total height: 67 mm / Bristle loft: 36 mm / Knot diameter at base: 14 mm).

Open comb vs. closed comb: Wouldn't an open comb be better for reducing the area of a beard (or shaving it off completely), since there is no bar to sorta steamroll the long hairs before the blade makes contact? I think it should make rinsing the razor easier.

I have just a Gillette Slim now, but am considering getting a Fendrihan "Scientist" or "Ambassador" Full Stainless, which is a three-piece with an open comb on one side, and a scalloped guard bar on the other side.
$FENRH1PH1H02_Fendrihan_Stainless_Steel_Safety_Razor3.jpg
Seems like a clever idea, for Can$49.95.

There's no reason to avoid soap and a brush. You should be able to see and know where the edges are, and you can always wipe most of it away on the cleanup pass the residual slickness will be enough, if you really need that tight of lines. A 3 piece is better for tight spaces and seeing where the blade is, but even a bulky Fatboy can get the job done once your're used to it. OCs are great for moving or changing beard lines, but will take more than you want if you're not paying attention. I usually use a safety bar if I'm in a hurry and stop just shy of my lines, then every few days use an OC to tighten things back up. The best beard line razor I've found is a Thin Cap OLD Type, Injectors are also nice with there really small heads.

Top Bottom