What's new

Guess who would have been 75 today?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can't believe nobody posted this yet. Youse guys are slipping.

proxy.php

Garcia is the only one of the original line-up aside from Pigpen McKernan (1973) who has died, right? Or even from later major line-ups right?

Maybe I did not know the dead that well, but I expected that if Garcia had that depth of drug and apparently related health problems, at least some others of the Dead would be "moving on" before now. Apparently most of the long-time Dead roadies are long dead.

Interesting that the others made it through in a way Garcia didn't, especially given how substantive and thoughtful Garcia was. Except as to women, Garcia seemed like a fairly reasonable guy, too.

I suppose as to Pigpen, it is amazing he made 27 years old.

Garcia is the only one of the original line-up aside from Pigpen McKernan (1973) who has died, right? Or even from later major line-ups right?

Maybe I did not know the dead that well, but I expected that if Garcia had that depth of drug and apparently related health problems, at least some others of the Dead would be "moving on" before now. Apparently most of the long-time Dead roadies are long dead.

Interesting that the others made it through in a way Garcia didn't, especially given how substantive and thoughtful Garcia was. Except as to women, Garcia seemed like a fairly reasonable guy, too.

I suppose as to Pigpen, it is amazing he made 27 years old.

three of the Dead's Keyboard players have passed on

Keith Richard Godchaux July 19, 1948-July 23, 1980
Brent Mydland October 21, 1952-July 26, 1990
Vince Welnick February 21, 1951-June 2, 2006

Wow, four keyboardists if you count Mr. McKernan, which I think we should, of the five folks who have died from the Dead.

I guess being a keyboardist for the Dead is like being a drummer for Spinal Tap. Tom Constanten, another keyboardist, has had major health issues, but, at least he is still with us. I guess I would consider Constanten, along with Pigpen, a keyboardist from the truly original line up.

Godchaux, Mydland, and Welnick all certainly count as significant Dead members from major line ups, and each are part of the Dead Rock Hall of Fame induction Dead membership. Garcia and those four seem to be the only ones now dead from the rock hall of fame.

I suppose Godchaux had drug issues, but he died in a car accident in 1980. He was not driving.

Mydland seems to have done a John Beluschi in 1990--overdose of speedball, after a long stretch with heavy drugs.

I do not know about any Welnick drug issues. He committed suicide in 2006 after long struggles with clinical depression, apparently after getting more of less past some serious physical health issues in the later 1990s, all those his physical/respiratory problems may have been a factor in his depression.

So, five Dead members gone. Only two from the original line up. Only one allegedly major one--Welnick is controversial as to how much he contributed to the Dead--from later line ups, after Garcia, and him apparently not from drug-related issues.

I suppose my original thought that I expected folks from the Dead to start dropping like flies after Garcia's death in 1995 but that did not happen, still has some validity.

Top Bottom