What's new

Guess what the highest rated shave soap on Amazon is? Go ahead. Guess.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Holy smokes! :eek2: I thought I'd get a reaction to this, but not with all the emotional energy! lol

It never ceases to amaze me how much emotional energy some folks put into defending (attacking) shave product choices. I started out by stating I take Amazon ratings with a grain of salt, however, there will be some intelligence in them. And I'm not so sure there is a lot more intelligence in some of the ratings here ;).

What made me laugh was the ridicule I took from some of the cognescenti here over Williams ten years back, and now some of them are in the Williams brotherhood. They discovered what I already knew for decades, I'm just tickled that they came around to it. Other of the more wizened (that means older) members here were always able to get a good shave with Williams, apparently, too, it was the newly initiated who had trouble with it, and then they became some of its biggest fans. That was what caused me to get a kick out of this state of affairs.

I will make a statement that may get me in trouble, though about YMMV. A product in widespread use cannot simultaneously be in both the top 10% of products and the bottom 10% of products. This, notwithstanding the fact that you may absolutely hate a very popular product. I wouldn't buy MdC if my life depended on it, but I won't argue that it's not a top-tier product, because I respect the informed opinion of others who are quite experienced.

I also won't put Williams in the top-tier of products even though some believe it should be. It's probably (performance-wise) a 4 out of 5, realistically. But if you cannot get it to lather or you think it's absolute garbage, well, that's not YMMV, that means you simply do not know what you are doing with it, pure and simple. A product with hundreds of users will fall in (about) at most 2 adjacent categories on a 5-point scale. I'd guess that based on the large number of users, Williams is probably in the 3-4 star ratings neighborhood, despite the fact that some individuals are gaga over it, and others think it is junk.

But it's been around long enough that if you can't lather it, that's on you, not Williams. Williams will be lathered the way it wants to be lathered, not the way you want to lather it, or the way you lather other products. If you put the puck in a mug, fill it with water while you shower, and soak the brush on top of it, then dump the water out, shake the brush gently a few times and go to town on a puck of Williams, you cannot help but make a great lather, it practically lathers itself. But, apparently, it does not respond well to the way other soaps lather. But if you cannot get a lather out of it, it's your fault, objectively, not YMMV. It's just not that hard. Watch a few vids. And you're not required to like it.

Anyway, I suspect I'll get a great shave from my Williams when it comes. I also suspect I won't join the Williams brotherhood. But this was just funny to me because it's a respectable shaving product that never got any ten years ago around here. Now it does. And people still feel the need to bash it. I'd love to do a Psychology dissertation on the shaving community, it would be fascinating. :D

Last edited:
Not that I have a dog in this race but when I look at Amazon, here's what I see...

Williams has average rating of 4.7 based 3,628 reviews.
Taylor of Old Bond Street has an overall rating of 4.7 based on over 14,000 reviews.
Proraso "Green" has an overall score of 4.7 based on well over 10,000 reviews.

One of my peeves with Amazon reviews is that they ask you to review products about two days after arrival. That is never sufficient time to properly evaluate any product. I recently purchased some water filters to fit my refrigerator. I like keeping a few on hand. It will be a few months before I even attempt to install them in my refrigerator and learn if they fit without leaking. It will take me several months longer to evaluate the filtration performance and life of the product. Thus, any review I might provide now would be meaningless. A year from now, I will be able to give an honest review.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
One of my peeves with Amazon reviews is that they ask you to review products about two days after arrival. That is never sufficient time to properly evaluate any product. I recently purchased some water filters to fit my refrigerator. I like keeping a few on hand. It will be a few months before I even attempt to install them in my refrigerator and learn if they fit without leaking. It will take me several months longer to evaluate the filtration performance and life of the product. Thus, any review I might provide now would be meaningless. A year from now, I will be able to give an honest review.
FWIW - one may make a review of a product whenever they wish, 1 day or 1 year after purchase.
The reminder from Amazon is just a reminder not a requirement.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I do not put much faith in Amazon reviews when it comes to shaving. The best selling soap is Williams. The best selling blades are Astra SP.

If I were to rate those products, Williams (the current version) would get 2 stars at best. I have only used 6 soaps (out of over 200) that perform worse. Vintage Williams may have been better. Astra SP might get 3 stars. I can use them, but do not enjoy the experience.
Would it be too much to ask you to create a list ranking your soaps for residual slickness from 1 to 200 and post it here for us to use as a guide? Thanks in advance.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 2.44.15 PM.png

Would it be too much to ask you to create a list ranking your soaps for residual slickness from 1 to 200 and post it here for us to use as a guide? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I am unable to distinguish soap properties with a precision of 0.5%. The best I can do is distinguish them in about 10% increments. On a scale of 1-10, my best soaps score 10 points. Williams Mug soap scores only a 6 in that category. The worst soap I have every used is Taconic Shave; it scores only a 4 on residual slickness. I consider anything below 8 to be unacceptable.

I have posted my top ten and top 25 soap bases in numerous threads on the forum. To do so in this thread would be hi-jacking.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Holy smokes! :eek2: I thought I'd get a reaction to this, but not with all the emotional energy! lol

It never ceases to amaze me how much emotional energy some folks put into defending (attacking) shave product choices. I started out by stating I take Amazon ratings with a grain of salt, however, there will be some intelligence in them. And I'm not so sure there is a lot more intelligence in some of the ratings here ;).

What made me laugh was the ridicule I took from some of the cognescenti here over Williams ten years back, and now some of them are in the Williams brotherhood. They discovered what I already knew for decades, I'm just tickled that they came around to it. Other of the more wizened (that means older) members here were always able to get a good shave with Williams, apparently, too, it was the newly initiated who had trouble with it, and then they became some of its biggest fans. That was what caused me to get a kick out of this state of affairs.

I will make a statement that may get me in trouble, though about YMMV. A product in widespread use cannot simultaneously be in both the top 10% of products and the bottom 10% of products. This, notwithstanding the fact that you may absolutely hate a very popular product. I wouldn't buy MdC if my life depended on it, but I won't argue that it's not a top-tier product, because I respect the informed opinion of others who are quite experienced.

I also won't put Williams in the top-tier of products even though some believe it should be. It's probably (performance-wise) a 4 out of 5, realistically. But if you cannot get it to lather or you think it's absolute garbage, well, that's not YMMV, that means you simply do not know what you are doing with it, pure and simple. A product with hundreds of users will fall in (about) at most 2 adjacent categories on a 5-point scale. I'd guess that based on the large number of users, Williams is probably in the 3-4 star ratings neighborhood, despite the fact that some individuals are gaga over it, and others think it is junk.

But it's been around long enough that if you can't lather it, that's on you, not Williams. Williams will be lathered the way it wants to be lathered, not the way you want to lather it, or the way you lather other products. If you put the puck in a mug, fill it with water while you shower, and soak the brush on top of it, then dump the water out, shake the brush gently a few times and go to town on a puck of Williams, you cannot help but make a great lather, it practically lathers itself. But, apparently, it does not respond well to the way other soaps lather. But if you cannot get a lather out of it, it's your fault, objectively, not YMMV. It's just not that hard. Watch a few vids. And you're not required to like it.

Anyway, I suspect I'll get a great shave from my Williams when it comes. I also suspect I won't join the Williams brotherhood. But this was just funny to me because it's a respectable shaving product that never got any ten years ago around here. Now it does. And people still feel the need to bash it. I'd love to do a Psychology dissertation on the shaving community, it would be fascinating. :D
It seems funny to get heavily invested in defending, or attacking, shaving products. When I read "What did you use today?" my approach is to "like" pretty much every post, "love" the ones that got tens and above, and to convey compassion for the rare really bad shave. I do this knowing full well that my likelihood of ever trying other razors, soaps, brushes, even blades is very, very low. I love others waxing eloquent about their Wolfmans, Timeless, Gillettes, and so on, trying all manner of new blades and soaps, performing rituals that would take me half the morning, and I am so happy they enjoy their thing and share.

I'm LMAO right now. I am sure many folks here won't see the average Amazon rating as anything definitive, and I'm not saying it is, BUT ... the top dawg is (drum roll, please)

View attachment 1312187

The reason I find this so funny is that when I joined the forum here about ten years ago, I was switching from the multi-bladed monstrosities to traditional DE safety razors. But I had been using Williams in a mug with a brush since I started shaving in high school in the 1970's. When I joined here and folks learned I was using Williams shave soap, many were not just horrified, but almost sounded offended. :D

A few years later after I was shamed out of my Williams in favor of 'better' soaps and creams, lo and behold, there springs up a Williams shave soap brotherhood. lol. And they were doing what I had learned to do and did pretty much all through my ten years in the Air Force, which was to drop the soap in a mug, drop a cheap brush on top of that, fill it with water and let it soak while I showered. In fact, when I started using the multi-blade cartridges I just shaved in the shower. I got awesome slick lather. I never knew I was doing it wrong until I showed up here!

I just ordered a 3-pack of Williams to get reacquainted with it because I have not used it in ten years, but the love around here for it makes me chuckle more than a little bit. I had one of their 1976 Centennial pewter shaving mugs I got in college with the top off a Williams box and something less than $5, IIRC, but I lost it in one of my many Air Force moves. Just on a lark, because I suspect I'll enjoy the Williams when it arrives, I found one of those old mugs on the 'bay, and it's on its way, as well. But I decided to try Williams again, and also grabbed an old Schick adjustable off the 'bay just for fun. Figured I'll revisit my roots. When I get my Williams and pewter mug, I'll grab an old brush I've been meaning to restore and have a "John's Hih School Shave" thread.

You never forget your first...:pipe:

So just wait until you feel you can give it a legitimate review. Of course with 190+ soaps in your library, that could take a while. :biggrin1:

Those review requests from all online vendors, not just Amazon, annoy the heck out of me as well. :cursing:

Also FWIW - I ignore 1 and 5 star reviews on Amazon.
2, 3 and 4 stars are my target to read and are generally the most accurate I have found.
If you sold crap sandwiches on Amazon, there would be a given percentage that would give you 5 stars.

I look for detailed critiques. When I see someone saying he tried it with for example, an Omega 10049, a GSB, and an R41, then I'll pay attention.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sorry, I am unable to distinguish soap properties with a precision of 0.5%. The best I can do is distinguish them in about 10% increments. On a scale of 1-10, my best soaps score 10 points. Williams Mug soap scores only a 6 in that category. The worst soap I have every used is Taconic Shave; it scores only a 4 on residual slickness. I consider anything below 8 to be unacceptable.

I have posted my top ten and top 25 soap bases in numerous threads on the forum. To do so in this thread would be hi-jacking.
You keep this up and we'll change your name to @ShavingByTheNumbers , doggone!

And I CAN'T STAND thread hijackers! I always report them to @KeenDogg . He'll straighten them out! And probably give 'em a custom tag line just so's the lesson sticks!

One thing we can ALL agree on: Arko is universally loved!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So just wait until you feel you can give it a legitimate review. Of course with 190+ soaps in your library, that could take a while. :biggrin1:

Those review requests from all online vendors, not just Amazon, annoy the heck out of me as well. :cursing:
Me too. My favorite reviews are the five stars where the product is still in the package. Makes me wanna go out and SPEND doggone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom