What's new

Guess that mysterious item

It sooks like a surface ship to me, but I've never seen a modern sub out of the water, the main thing I was looking at was the fact that it's at a ~45 degree angle, when I first saw the picture I though "rudder!" but that's not right I don't think...

Abragus, purely out of curiosoty, what class of ship is this? What's your rating? (or are you an O?)

Last edited:
is it on a submarine? It looks more like an adjustable stabilizer to me, it's purpose would be to counter the ship's rolling especially in beam-to seas...

Abragus, purely out of curiosoty, what class of ship is this? What's your rating? (or are you an O?)

You are correct, sir!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400719489.772031.jpg

This is the fin stabilizer for a 270' Coast Guard Cutter. This was fitted after they realized the hull shape rides very poorly through even calmer seas. It's an automated system but does have manual controls as backup.

270's are the Famous Class of cutters.

To answer your other question, I'm an O (hope that doesn't change my standing here at the forum!)
Thankfully I didn't go to the CG Academy, I went to school to get my license for driving ships and take care of a lot of the navigation and voyage planning on my boat.

Oh and you're up, sir!

Sweet, I'll post my pic in a couple hours after I'm off watch.

...and I hadn't even thought about there being other coasties on here, I'm just a BM3 currently at a surf station. I've heard about those stabilizers on 270s which is why I was able to guess it...

Sorry this took longer than expected...
$IMAG0131.jpg
This ia an example of a "tool" that has been made obsolete by modern technology... Although I'm sure Abragus knows exactly what it is...

Till the fun runs out...

I know where I grew up that the fire department used a similar paper to plot water pressure during the week. The paper went into a clockwork on a pressure gauge with a pen in it.

The lower the water pressure, the higher the collective blood pressure of the building! (I swear it was true, but I only was there once when there was very poor water pressure, and it was bad because the tap was slow at my house a block away.)

Phil

Top Bottom