What's new

Guess I'll be going back to cartridge razors

That's eronoius milarky. I don't have that problem with multi blade cartridges, and that includes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 blade cartridges. Interesting theory, but in practice it just ain't so.
My point was that, lather good enough for one blade is not good enough for multi-blade cartridges.

When I used an open comb razor for the first time, I found out how good my lather really was, or was not...

It's all about lather! With a Super speed, it doesn't take much slickness(canned goo) to get a good shave. For me, multi-blade cartridges takes a slicker lather for a good shave. I can probably shave with broken glass these days without a problem, I uber lather.

Cartridges gave me issues with canned goo. After about a year or so of DE shaving, I tried a 5 blade Fusion I had laying around, with my prep and slick lather, I didn't have a problem. Haven't used a cart since. If I had been using the lather and prep that I'm using now, cartridges would have fine.

I saw a military man shaving in a gas station bathroom with a cartridge razor using water, I would never do that with any razor.

If you are using a Super Speed and you want to try a DEvette, Shavette, or straight razor, you'd better make sure your lather is not lacking!

Thinking about it, I believe that my first open comb was my Senator, and it was about... 15 years ago? Shaved just fine with my normal preps at the time (shaving gel, or just whatever soap happened to be around. Ran across someone on Wednesday who shaves with hair conditioner)

This got aggressive fast.

Glad the OP found what works best for him.

I understand the pain with a chin scar. I learned a long time ago to shave across the chin to avoid any discomfort. Even the barber shaves, they get sketchy sometimes and grab a cart to finish off the chin. My neck is a tough cut too, I found that for me I would roll out from the Adams apple, then do my swallowing thing to lift it away for the shave.

As for the rest, every face is different, which is why there are so many shave systems and soaps and gels.

As many have said... you win some, and you lose some. In this case I wouldn't say you've lost anything. You've found out what works and what doesn't. As long as you're not in need of a blood donor at the end of your shave, you're doing it right.

Glad you found what works for you @cleancut. I still use my old Gillette Sensor and with proper prep and a good soap/cream, I get excellent shaves. Shave on.

As with many here, I think it's great you've found something you prefer. With the differences in skin, hair, local water and facial angles; YMMV should be Your Mileage Will Vary.

The main issue I have with multi blade cartridges is that hair get stuck between the blades. Is this not the case with these ones?

P.S. If it works for you, keep at it.

Sorry, dude, you'll be getting no conciliatory farewells or statements of understanding from me.

Mr_Burns.png

You just made yourself look like that guy.

This thread is pretty old, but if the OP can still see this, I feel the same way you do. I quit the DE brigade long ago. Though, I did give the old stuff another look, and to my surprise found injectors. Fun thing about injectors is they shave like carts but are still old "grandpa kit" that ppl can enjoy.

There aren't many blade choices, but the ones out there can be cheap if you can handle the blades. There are also new razors like the Leaf razor that take DE blades but pivot like cart razors. Research, see what's out there.

i herd the dollar shave club shave butter is some good stuff. im gonna try that out on my next rad run

the main reason i switched from carts to DE was because i couldnt get a bbs shave, i would tear up my face doing it then i found DE. now im slowly making the switch to straights

just because he prefers cartridge razors? I'm speechless, really. Bah.

It would be a bad mistake to take a post of mine seriously. Especially after that much beer. And incorporating a cartoon character, no less! Posts where I make reasoned observations about shaving, blades, and whatnot, generally tend towards moments of sobriety.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've been a faithful wet shaver since I joined this forum back in 2008. The reason I began wet shaving was due to the ever increasing cost of cartridge refills. Over the years I accumulated several hundred dollars worth of dbl edge razors and accompanying soaps, creams and after shaves. But after all this time I could never get my neck shaved without leaving stubble. I usually ended up tearing up my neck trying to get that bbs shave. No matter how slow or what direction I tried I could never get the type of shave I wanted on my neck. I tried all types of razors and blade combinations. All types of soaps and creams. I pretty much just gave up trying. Then one day I received an unsolicited email from the Dollar Shave Club. A handle and 4 carts for a buck. What the hell, I signed up. A few days later a handle and a 4 pack of 4 blade carts showed up in my mail. The next morning I grabbed my brush and lathered up with Mdc soap and tried the new razor out. To my complete and utter astonishment my neck was bbs without a single nick. I couldn't believe it. I've been using this setup for over a month now and still haven't received a single nick. Looks like my problems are over. I'll never go back to using canned goo again, but as long as I can get these carts for the price they're charging now, I doubt I'll go back to the old dbl blade razor again. This is not an endorsement for the Dollar Shave Club. I have no connection to them whatsoever. I just thought I'd let others that may have the same problem know what worked for me.
I’ve always thought the cart to be a better shaving instrument than the DE (I dislike them Immensely). I do, however, find the straight razor better than any method of shaving. Give one a try.

I have the same issue. My neck grain grows toward my Adam Apple with both sides. Even against the grain I can’t get it smooth. I’m unaware of a way to possibly shave side ways on my throat unless it was with a stubby straight

Top Bottom