What's new

GSB vs other Gillette blades…

Hi everyone!

I’ve been using GSBs for ages and find them a great reliable blade, but I’ve heard a lot of praise for the Nacet and Minora.

I know the GSB is Teflon coated. Are the other two plain stainless steel? Doesn’t that mean the GSB would be smoother and more rust resistant?

Is there really a significant difference between them? Could you tell the difference blinded? Is one sharper or smoother or longer lasting than the others? Or is it all placebo and marketing? Are they just the same blade in different packaging?

Thanks for your opinions,
Taz.

Hi everyone!

I’ve been using GSBs for ages and find them a great reliable blade, but I’ve heard a lot of praise for the Nacet and Minora.

I know the GSB is Teflon coated. Are the other two plain stainless steel? Doesn’t that mean the GSB would be smoother and more rust resistant?

Is there really a significant difference between them? Could you tell the difference blinded? Is one sharper or smoother or longer lasting than the others? Or is it all placebo and marketing? Are they just the same blade in different packaging?

Thanks for your opinions,
Taz.
This morning I shaved with a GSB for the first time in months. I was amazed at how smooth the blade felt, particularly when shaving against the grain. I barely felt it!
D1E45BCE-DA8A-4C31-938D-7CAAB1E9BB35.jpeg

Gsb is a bit of my starting blade to try new razors and still my preferred blade in the futul. Nacet is slightly sharper imho
And you should also try the platinums and wizamets

The majority of Gillette PPI blades are top tier. Based on my own experiences with many of the blades, GSB are very good blades but I would prefer Astra SP, Nacet and 7 O'Clock Yellows over the GSB.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
As my rule of thumb I have experienced the sharper the blade does not give as smooth a shave and a blade such as a GSB compliments sharp and smooothness very well with their grinding, stropping and coatings to reach a very nice balanced blade for shaving.
To get the best results out of a very sharp blade has to be the razor(mild) with excellent technique will deliver very nice comfortable close shaves.
Feather produced the Feather AS-D2 razor to compliment their very sharp razor blade. I have a Oneblade core razor(mild) that uses the Feather FHS-10 blade and it gives a awesome 1st shave in this mild razor but it does not have good longevity for what ever reason.
For myself if I have a mild razor I would use a Feather or Nacet (sharpness) or go opposite direction with a Kai SS blade(physically wider for more blade exposure of blade feel) and Kai SS wins for myself because its sharp & smooth with excellent longevity also give s bump up in aggression and efficentcy IMO.
I made this simple illustration 3.5 years ago trying to explain my thinking on this thought, but what I also discovered technique seems to rule over making blade to razor work to optimum. I discovered I still got nicked with a Feather in a my Gillette tech because my technique had not matured enough and the sweet spot window angle is small on a Tech.
So technique rules over most anything IMO even with a cartridge razor when it comes to comfort and results.
20180521_090057_crop_652x570 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I’ve read a number of threads where people have taken photos with microscopes and done elemental analyses of blades, but I’m surprised that we still don’t have an insider from Gillette that can give us a breakdown of the *actual* differences in blades.

lasta

Blade Biter
I’ve read a number of threads where people have taken photos with microscopes and done elemental analyses of blades, but I’m surprised that we still don’t have an insider from Gillette that can give us a breakdown of the *actual* differences in blades.

There were at least 2 fairly comprehensive ones (sorry I don't have time today to link them).

But both ended up being ostracized. Believe what you will.

lasta

Blade Biter
As for my "subjective" opinion, GSB is the apex of DE blades.

I did a fairly comprehensive screening back in 2013/2014 and settled on GSB, used it almost exclusively thereafter.

Since July of last year, BAD caught up again and I tried maybe 2 dozen blades of both modern and vintage varieties. Some have come close if not equal, but nothing is decidedly better than GSB.

I've been pre-conditioned to believe that there is a difference in coatings between GSB/Nacet/Platinum/Polsiver...but if someone switched up my loaded razor prior to shave 2, I'd probably guess them wrong.

The GSB is smooth and sharp.
The Nacet is sharp and smooth.

Could I tell the difference? Given 2 identical razors with a different blade in each and a few days, yes, I think I could. Would I bet $100?

Not a chance.

Top Bottom