What's new

GSB & Platinum

B

Barney14

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Gillette GSBs and Platinum are the same, is this true.

There's scuttlebutt from time to time that the GSBs might be the discontinued Super-Platinum blue packs that used to be made in the Russian plant. I have fond memories of the old Super-Platinums, and after using a GSB for the first time recently it does bring the same feel to mind in my memory.

That said I don't think the current Platinums and the GSB are the same.

Although some say these blades differ, I find these blades to be very similar if not identical in both sharpness and smoothness. If I put these two blades into identical razors and shave opposite sides of my face with each of the razors, I cannot tell which blade is which. With most other blades, I can tell a difference.

Two other blades I find to be quite similar in sharpness and smoothness are Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus and Astra Superior Platinum. I cannot tell the difference between them either. Although some folks love these blades, I prefer sharper, smoother blades.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Although some say these blades differ, I find these blades to be very similar if not identical in both sharpness and smoothness. If I put these two blades into identical razors and shave opposite sides of my face with each of the razors, I cannot tell which blade is which. With most other blades, I can tell a difference.

Two other blades I find to be quite similar in sharpness and smoothness are Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus and Astra Superior Platinum. I cannot tell the difference between them either. Although some folks love these blades, I prefer sharper, smoother blades.
They may be the same blade, but I still prefer Gillette Platinum to GSB. :001_tongu

There's scuttlebutt from time to time that the GSBs might be the discontinued Super-Platinum blue packs that used to be made in the Russian plant. I have fond memories of the old Super-Platinums, and after using a GSB for the first time recently it does bring the same feel to mind in my memory.

That said I don't think the current Platinums and the GSB are the same.
I've used the Gillette SP's from Brazil (haven't had the opportunity to try the Russian SP's), and those were AMAZING blades in terms of sharpness, smooth, and longevity. For me, GSB's are a top-3 blade regular rotation blade, but don't rival the Brazil SP's.

I don't think they are similar based on my personal experience. GSB performs better than Platinum in one razor, but both are identical in another. So, there can be a resulting difference which suggests that they are not identical. Based on my one data point.

I was just in Pasture's last week, and they were out of GSB. I picked up a tuck of Platinum instead. Both are the same price at $1.79. They may not be the same blade, but they are good. Both in my top 10, but GSB slightly higher ranked.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

It's been a while since I tried the Platinums but I found them to be less sharp than GSB's. Both were good smooth blades though.

The Platinum is one of my favourite blades. Very smooth shave, whiskers cleared efficiently - what's not to like?

I've used the Gillette SP's from Brazil (haven't had the opportunity to try the Russian SP's), and those were AMAZING blades in terms of sharpness, smooth, and longevity. For me, GSB's are a top-3 blade regular rotation blade, but don't rival the Brazil SP's.
Were they in a red paper?
I do like the SuperThin Mejoradas made in Brazil....as good as Nacet

Were they in a red paper?
I do like the SuperThin Mejoradas made in Brazil....as good as Nacet
The Gillette SP's are in a silver gray box wrapped in white paper. I love that blades could be made nearly anywhere, but am sorry to see the Brazil made blades disappearing.

I recently experimented with both and they feel very different to me. I’m a Voskhod user mainly, so this is my point of reference. My razor is a Maggard V3A / MR1.

Silver Blue- sharper than Voskhod, nowhere near as smooth. Not good for me. Feels very similar to Personna Blue, sharp yet rough. I’d suggest this blade to a person with coarser hair and tougher skin.

Platinum - sharper than Voskhod yet not as sharp as Silver Blue. Smooth as Voskhod. Good blade for me. 7 o’clock Yellow feels similar to Platinum, although slightly less sharp and smooth. I’d suggest this blade to a person with more sensitive skin and medium coarse hair.

Top Bottom