What's new

GSB/Nacet = what LORD blade?

Greetings, friends! I have a blade question:

What, if any, LORD blades are considered to be equivalent to the sharpness and smoothness of the GSB or Nacet blades from Gillette?

I ask because today in my Slim on 3, I tried and Astra SP. The result was close, but not comfortable. I think I experienced the "middle of the road" nature of this blade, and the reality that "sharp blades go really well with mild razors."

I have 300 Nacets. I only have 2 GSB's left, and don't want to afford their (GSB's) cost, and wanting to diversify my blade stock and manufacturer usefulness, I was wondering if LORD had anything that could compete?

In the pic below, I have had good luck in the Slim on 3 with:
GSB
Platinum
Nacet

Not great, not awful, and not as comfortable:

Astra SP

Bad luck with the:
Bic Chrome (only tried once, and after that 1 shave, the pain made me bin it - could have been user error, probably need to revisit)
LORD Platinum - Tuggy from the start, should have stopped immediately. Weeper city.

Not Tried:
Personna Lab Blue

I have several (15 or so) LORD tucks inbound from Razor Blades Club.

Thank you for your help and guidance!

20230418_082510.jpg

Below is hat I have on order to try. Do any of these compare?

Asco - Platinum
Big Ben - Super Stainless
Crown - Platinum
Crown - Super Stainless
Derby - Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco - Titan
Gillette - 365
Lord - Blue Sword
Lord - Classic Super Stainless
Lord - Superior Platinum
Lord - Super Chrome
Lord - Super Stainless
Lord - Tajam
Shark - Platinum
Shark - Super Stainless
Shark - Super Chrome
Treet - Platinum

lasta

Blade Biter
If you like GSB's, get some more GSB's!

IMO it's the greatest blade of all time.

Wizamet (modern) is similar to GSB.

Perma Sharp strikes a nice balance between GSB and Nacet, though closer to Nacet.

Indian black Super Platinums comes close in terms of sharpness, but falls just a wee bit short on the smoothness department.

If you like GSB's, get some more GSB's!

IMO it's the greatest blade of all time.

Wizamet (modern) is similar to GSB.

Perma Sharp strikes a nice balance between GSB and Nacet, though closer to Nacet.

Indian black Super Platinums comes close in terms of sharpness, but falls just a wee bit short on the smoothness department.

I do understand your proposal to do what works. But I was wondering if LORD had any comparable offerings.

Update: today with the Astra SP, the shave was noticeably smoother than yesterday. Same blade on shave 2, same razor. I did swap Lea Classic cream for LA Toja in the khaki tube. But whatever it was, it was better.

Thinking about trying the Slim on 4 with the SP. Milder blade on more aggressive setting.... hm...

Asco - Platinum
Crown - Platinum
Crown - Super Stainless
Derby - Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco - Titan
Gillette - 365
Lord - Blue Sword
Lord - Superior Platinum
Lord - Super Chrome
Lord - Super Stainless
Lord - Tajam
Shark - Platinum
Shark - Super Stainless
Shark - Super Chrome
Treet - Platinum
IMO dorco titan are pretty similar from your list.since it's Teflon coated like the GSB..it may be a little bit sharper than the GSB.

I'm still exploring blades and still learning but I found after trying a few blades that - so far - Nacet, 7 o'clock yellow, Lord Silver Star and Asco Red work best on my skin.

Astra SP green are OK but give me quite a bit of irritation and alum sting on my neck.

GSB was horrible for me, Gillette Platinum was better but not good enough, 7 o'clock black was too harsh. On the fence with 7 o'clock green. Shark Platinum will never touch my skin again.

I'm going to give my face a break for a while and go with the favourites so far and have just ordered 50 each of Nacet, 7 o'clock yellow and Silver Star from a local (UK) retailer. I'll probably order a stock of Asco Red from RBC before long too.

That'll keep me going for a couple of years and I'll still have another 30 or so different blades from the sample selection I ordered from RBC a while ago just to liven things up a bit - a good proportion of them are Lord blades so I'll be interested to hear your experiences with Lord.

I have tried many Lord blades. For me, they range from unusable to adequate. The sharpest and smoothest that I have tried are the Lord Platinums and the Rainbows.

If you like the Gillette blades, you will probably like the Personna Labs. They are sharper than the GSB, but not quite as sharp as the Nacets. They do not last as long as the Gillette blades. I like the Personna blades, but for some reason I nick myself with them. My friend absolutely loves them.

I am also amused by the fact that you find the Lord Platinums to tug and pull. The other Lord blades that I have tried are less pleasant. You probably have a tough beard and sensitive skin.

The Gillette blades really do work well in the Gillette razors. If you are ordering from Razor Blades Club, you may also want to try the Gillette Rubie. For me that blade has about 4 times the longevity of a standard blade. If you are looking for a low cost blade, the Astra Blues are sharper, smoother and longer lasting than the Green Astras. Of course, results vary for each user.

Last edited:
I revisited this post and thought about something.

You mentioned using a Slim as your razor. The Slim was the second DE razor I ever owned, and I used it for years as my daily driver, but I discovered something about it after I branched out to other razors. It is picky about the blades I use in it in concert with the settings I use it at.

I notice you use a setting of '3' which is a milder setting on that razor, and you seem to like what I see as sharper blades ( most Gillette blades seem to live in that arena ). Trying some of those milder blades you didn't like at a slightly more aggressive setting on the Slim might be worth an effort. An Astra SP or SS on setting 5 is a pleasure for me. The somewhat milder Astra ( versus their Gillette cousins ) benefits from a more aggressive setting on the Slim.

Just a thought, and as always, YMMV. It's always fun to buy more blades to test, so you are doing well in expanding your collection. Good luck with the Lords, and I hope you find some jewels that fit your needs.

I have Shark's and Silver Stars and they are good Lord Blades.

Price being a determining factor, I find that the PPI made Perma-Sharp's are very similar to the Nacet's and are still only $9.50 from Anazon.This is only about a dollar more than the Astra's.

The Gillette Platinum's are close to the Silver Blues in performance and are currently on sale at Amazon for just under $10. Both of these are high tier blades at Lord prices.

I really liked the Acso platinum. I've used Nacets and I like them. I think I have some GSBs but haven't tried them yet.

Asco - Platinum
Crown - Platinum
Crown - Super Stainless
Derby - Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco - Titan
Gillette - 365
Lord - Blue Sword
Lord - Superior Platinum
Lord - Super Chrome