What's new

Gryphes Straight shaving Journal

So i just had my first straight shave, and it went fairly well!
I didn't spill any blood! So the paramedics that we're on standby went home disappointed :lol:

The kit i used:

Razor: Heljestrand Rex
Strop: Cheap Dovo (didn't use it since the razor came shave ready)
Brush: Shavemac 438 Silvertip D01
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Alum block followed by Proraso AS Balm.
Bowl: Meuhle

Picture:

proxy.php

Did 2 passes: two wtg on my cheaks, mustache area and part of my chin and neck. I was able to get BBS shave on my right cheek and dfs on my left and mustache area. I attempted to do my neck but it just didn't feel right so i stopped left that pretty much untouched. Once i was done with my straight i cleaned and dried it, then i shave my neck and other area that needed a clean up with my Old Type.

The hardest thing was finding the proper angel, at first i thought man this thing is blunt it pulling instead of shaving, but then all of the sudden it started to shave when i chanced my angel a bit!!!

All in all it went pretty well, no blood loss or razor burn.
My next challenge will be stropping my razor before my next shave. I'm hooked and scared at the same time :thumbup:

So am i part of the cool guys club now?:lol:

Last edited:
Total newbie here (you're one straight shave ahead of me...), but my understanding is that even a perfectly shave ready blade should be stropped right before shaving. Perhaps that's why it pulled at first.

My gear is in transit, looking forward to next week!

Good start! Dont worry about the neck now, you did more than me on my first shave. Starting in sections is what I did. The angles will come with time and practice.
Im jealous of your razor by the way:)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Excellent!! Please post shave #2!

Total newbie here (you're one straight shave ahead of me...), but my understanding is that even a perfectly shave ready blade should be stropped right before shaving. Perhaps that's why it pulled at first.

My gear is in transit, looking forward to next week!

First off...congrats Gryphes! Getting through that first shave is the hardest part!

WRT Timbit's comment...I'd say thats 95% true...really depends on the vendor but even a reputable vendor can sell you a str8 thats been sitting around since it last touched the stones (hence the recce on a quick strop).

Bottomline: unless the vendor tells you it was recently honed (within the last month) I'd run it 30 passes on the strop to be safe! :thumbup1:

Nice going! You have survived the worst part: the first shave. I will be looking forward to reading about your progress. It is nice to see that other people enjoy shaving with swedish razors.

Nice going! You have survived the worst part: the first shave. I will be looking forward to reading about your progress. It is nice to see that other people enjoy shaving with swedish razors.

Thank you! Expect a new entry next weekend.
Even tough i would like to use my straight during work days its just not safe because my mind tends to wander off.

I love my Heljestrand, i hopefully will never need an additional razor. But SRAD can sneak up on you when you expect it the least, so you never know. Those Duble Ducks look awfully nice :biggrin1:

Shave 2:

Not a big success, stropped the razor, shaved cheeks (DFS), went to the other parts of my face and got razor burn galore, i just couldn't find the right angle and on top of that my lather got screwed up. Got a weeper here and there but no major cuts.

Bit of a let down but i'm not giving up just yet.

Shave 2:

Not a big success, stropped the razor, shaved cheeks (DFS), went to the other parts of my face and got razor burn galore, i just couldn't find the right angle and on top of that my lather got screwed up. Got a weeper here and there but no major cuts.

Bro,

Hang in there...finding the right angles requires alot of practice and ultimately muscle memory.

You've got to give it a few months before you know whether or not you like str8 shaving!

best of luck!

Definitely keep with it. I'm a couple months in and still, at times, get a little heavy on the pressure and a weeper or two. Most time it all goes well but I'm not quite to where it's always a perfect shave. Still, I'm enjoying it much more than DE or cart shaving.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Shave 2:

Keep at it, the first few shaves can be very difficult. I think it took me 10 shaves before it started to look like a shave!

Top Bottom