What's new

Grumbles about Speick's scent profile across the lineup

As much as I enjoy Speick's shave stick and ASL, their EdT was a dud. For me, it was an over-the-top, sickly sweet scent that was out of place in comparison with the rest of their products.
Thanks for the info since I had thought about trying it!
I have only used the AS and the bar soap. Like I said earlier, both are very nice but IMO dramatically different in scent profile.

I wouldn't describe the EdT as sweet, it is very strong at first and more vegetal than the bar soap, but it's more herbal and earthy to my nose than it is cloying.

Don't know about regular speick but I do enjoy speick active shave cream and splash, nice scent (spicy lavender) performance is pretty solid as well

I just received the Speick Active soap tub and to my nose it's closer to Alvarez Gomez (bright and citrusy) than any other Speick product I've used. This is fine though, since I like the AG Agua Colonia and use AS as much for a scent extender as a post-shave therapeutic.

Different strokes for different folks. I, for one, appreciate it when the products in a lineup are complimentary but not exactly the same. Barrister and Mann is a good example of a company that makes complimentary products without being samey. I just don't see the point in buying a bunch of products that smell identical, but again, different strokes...

I have both the AS balm and soap for B&M Cheshire and O, Delight!, they are near exact scent matches (and my Cheshire soap is old enough that it's the white tub/previous formula!). I also have the AS splash and soap for their Lyssa and Seville, again these scents are extremely close between soap/AS and the subtle differences are in the weight given to individual scent notes, not a complete difference in makeup like most of the Speick items mentioned in this thread.

If something is listed as the same fragrance as a matching/complimentary item a maker's lineup, then "samey" or better is what I'd hope for...

I have both the AS balm and soap for B&M Cheshire and O, Delight!, they are near exact scent matches (and my Cheshire soap is old enough that it's the white tub/previous formula!). I also have the AS splash and soap for their Lyssa and Seville, again these scents are extremely close between soap/AS and the subtle differences are in the weight given to individual scent notes, not a complete difference in makeup like most of the Speick items mentioned in this thread.

If something is listed as the same fragrance as a matching/complimentary item a maker's lineup, then "samey" or better is what I'd hope for...
I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree. I prefer layering complimentary scents. The last thing that I want to do is use five products that smell exactly the same. It is for that reason that I appreciate Speick's differences. All of the Speick products that I have tried are just "in the family", which I love. But again, different strokes...

If you enjoy the challenge of finding products that synergize with each other that's great, but I know quite well from blending EOs for my own AS scents, that combining two or three great scent notes, doesn't always (or even often) add up to a pleasing net result... add to that the fact that most "product" already has a multi-note scent signature and you're fairly likely to wind up with the olfactory equivalent of the color brown (what you get if you mix all the colors together) when you randomly apply several different products.

If you enjoy the challenge of finding products that synergize with each other that's great, but I know quite well from blending EOs for my own AS scents, that combining two or three great scent notes, doesn't always (or even often) add up to a pleasing net result... add to that the fact that most "product" already has a multi-note scent signature and you're fairly likely to wind up with the olfactory equivalent of the color brown (what you get if you mix all the colors together) when you randomly apply several different products.
While I am very much a novice, I have used perfumer's materials to create simple accords and created fragrances that I have enjoyed enough to wear outside in public. I like to think that my nose is good enough to know what works together and what doesn't.

While I am very much a novice, I have used perfumer's materials to create simple accords and created fragrances that I have enjoyed enough to wear outside in public. I like to think that my nose is good enough to know what works together and what doesn't.

I wasn't implying that your sense of smell was defective, or that the *widely varying* scents of the "regular" line Speick products are totally incompatible with each other.

What I was somewhat clumsily attempting to get across, is that there's good reason to want ABC soap's "watermelon madness" (to use a fictional example) shaving soap to have largely the same scent profile as their watermelon madness AS, beard oil and deoderant.

As mentioned; *if* you enjoy the challenge of seeking out products that compliment each other that's great, *but* not everyone wants to buy every scent out there, just to find them unpleasant, or incompatible with their other favorite scents. If you only ever use weak/un- scented or neutral scented (like mild menthol/eucalyptus) shaving creams, or ones with a scent that fades shortly after your final rinse then there's really no reason to be cautious when choosing an AS or EdC. However, if you use stronger more persistenty scented soaps, then having a "samey" scent to follow up with is a good option to have, and even more so if you like the soap and just want to extend that scent, or the soap scent is weak but you would rather have it stick around all day.

And for those who *aren't* as discerning about scent, having lineups that are "samey" or better (I'm talking about soap/AS/EdC/etc. of one named scent, Not the entire brand being intercompatible) prevents them from going out in public wearing the olfactory equivalent of green apple colored pants and a tweed blazer with orange sneakers.

Top Bottom