What's new

Growth of safety razor shaving

I was curious to see how the industry was growing in the US and if it was really making a comeback so I headed over to Google Insights and did some poking around

$de1.jpg

It looks like a steady growth. I am not sure if this link (http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=safety razor&geo=US&cmpt=q) will work, but if it does scroll down to the map view and watch the change over time. Pretty interesting stuff.

Interesting. Here is a slightly longer timescale: it looks like the shavepocalypse happened around 1997.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not too sure any data pre-1998 is too reliable when talking about google search trends...

Those are two different data sources. The OP posted search trends, while I posted ngram appearances in digitized books. The books content has its own statistical distortions, of course. The sample may not be representative, and the terms may have drifted. I think some of the 1950+ downward trend for "safety razor" is due to the simple fact that "safety razor" started off meaning "not a straight razor", and after sometime around 1950 that distinction became meaningless. Now it sometimes means "not a cartridge razor", leading to a revival.

if Wal-Mart started selling DE Shave kits(with a razor,10 pack of blades,a brush,a bowl,and soap) for $20,would it out sell the Fusion?People would see a razor with replacement blades that cost "cents",compared to Fusion replacement cartridges that cost over $20 for a pack of 4.
The Fusion gets alot of help by mass marketing,and using celebrities doesnt hurt either to appeal to the market.
I wish DE shaving got more marketing exposure,but the subjects on You Tube for straight razor and DE shaving have been booming lately.

Could it be in line with that small dip in finaces we had here in the UK? did it ripple around the globe?

I would personally like to see Gillette return to market a DE of some type. I dont feel that its necessary to use a Brush and soap/lather shaving cream to see the benefits that a double edge razor brings to the table. I had a BBS shave using a Gillette Super Speed loaded with an old walmart personna blade and regular Gillette foamy last night. Granted the old school style soaps and creams do perform better than the canned foams. Canned goo works at just a slightly lower level for me than soaps or creams. With Nivea being one of the best shave gels I have ever used. I dont think using a shave brush would fly with most of the men out there.

Its funny but Im betting a large part of the public see's a safety razor as "dangerous". I mean those of us that use them do have to mess with the blades. (sarcasm)

The only reason though that we have multi-bladed monstrosities is because there is a constant battle being waged to differentiate your product(in gillette's and shick's case) from the competitions product. I cant honestly say what we have today is the result of a progression towards better shaving hardware. Its all about blowing smoke to make people think your product is superior. And when your competition does something similar to what you are doing. Well out comes the latest and greatest that brand X has to offer. Better than what came before and what the competition is doing right now. Its all about insuring market share.

if Wal-Mart started selling DE Shave kits(with a razor,10 pack of blades,a brush,a bowl,and soap) for $20,would it out sell the Fusion?People would see a razor with replacement blades that cost "cents",compared to Fusion replacement cartridges that cost over $20 for a pack of 4.
The Fusion gets alot of help by mass marketing,and using celebrities doesnt hurt either to appeal to the market.
I wish DE shaving got more marketing exposure,but the subjects on You Tube for straight razor and DE shaving have been booming lately.

I think that a lot of people who jumped into a setup like that without any education on technique might quickly jump back into their multi blade monsters. I think it would be cool to have a kit like that with maybe a little Mantic pamphlet or something with links inside package to give people an opportunity to succeed.

I think some of the 1950+ downward trend for "safety razor" is due to the simple fact that "safety razor" started off meaning "not a straight razor", and after sometime around 1950 that distinction became meaningless. Now it sometimes means "not a cartridge razor", leading to a revival.
This is a problem with relying on "safety razor" to indicate interest in traditional wet shaving. Safety razor still technically includes cartridges (and disposables).

I think that a lot of people who jumped into a setup like that without any education on technique might quickly jump back into their multi blade monsters. I think it would be cool to have a kit like that with maybe a little Mantic pamphlet or something with links inside package to give people an opportunity to succeed.
yeah agree with a least some kinda of photo guide on how to use the DE. though the VDH has a how to uses the brush and soap though.

Its funny but Im betting a large part of the public see's a safety razor as "dangerous". I mean those of us that use them do have to mess with the blades. (sarcasm)
na i bet a good portion don't even know what a DE even looks like. and i think putting a knife next to your face look more "dangerous"

na i bet a good portion don't even know what a DE even looks like. and i think putting a knife next to your face look more "dangerous"

Actually I have read where people were complaining of the danger of changing out DE blades. Asides from that something I always wanted to do is to ask one of those folks who like to wear a razor blade on a necklace if they know why the holes in the middle are shaped the way they are. In telling them they would would probably give you a blank stare and call you a colorful name.

Nooooooo,

I still have things to buy before it becomes a trend. I seem to be always just behind someone else who just bought every damn razor the store or yard sale had. .

Top Bottom