What's new

Growing out my facial hair

This is the first time that I have not shaved my face, or trimmed it, since probably 9th grade. I always keep the clean cut look. Although I am on day 9 or 10 without cutting... And have realized my "beard" is coming in patchy. One side I have a spot ( the size of a quarter) that is fairly smooth.
I was hoping others had some advice... Wasn't sure if their was a cream I could apply or a a vitamin. Im hoping it's not just bad luck, because im about to be at a point where Im going to use miracle grow as face lotion. Lol

There are products that "claim" to stimulate beard growth, but I have no idea if they are effective or not.

Where is this quarter-sized spot located? You may be able to design your beard around it. Sooner or later, you'll have to trim it up, and if its on your cheek or the perimeter of your neck, just start your beard line at that point.

Back in the day when I grew beards, it would always come in much heavier on one side than the other. I referred to it as the "Jekyll and Hyde" look. It took quite a while for the Jekyll side to catch up enough that it was worth trimming, but by then, the Hyde side was over-grown and looking pretty scruffy.

Ever since then, the longest I've gone without shaving is 2.5 weeks, for this past MoVember. And the only reason I shaved it half-way through the month was because I was itching too much, and I couldn't stand it any longer.

The quarter sized spot, is above the jawline about three inches to the right of my chin. And I too have the jeckyll and Hyde look unfortunately.

Mutton Chops maybe?

proxy.php

You really can't accelerate the growth in thinner parts of your beard. What you can do is to get an electric beard trimmer and trim the thicker parts of your beard back until the slower growing parts fill in a little bit. Mow it a little higher every couple of weeks until it is all filled in. Basically growing your beard at the rate of the thinnest portion is what this achieves.

+1 for this. Hair growing tonics only work in cartoons, except for Rogaine. You're too young for that and it is probably not recommended for faces.

You really can't accelerate the growth in thinner parts of your beard. What you can do is to get an electric beard trimmer and trim the thicker parts of your beard back until the slower growing parts fill in a little bit. Mow it a little higher every couple of weeks until it is all filled in. Basically growing your beard at the rate of the thinnest portion is what this achieves.

The quarter sized spot, is above the jawline about three inches to the right of my chin. And I too have the jeckyll and Hyde look unfortunately.
Sounds like your best bet would be to grow a goatee.

If you want to go for a full beard, maybe you could do a "comb-over" to cover that spot, like some guys do to camouflage Male Pattern Baldness.

There are products that "claim" to stimulate beard growth, but I have no idea if they are effective or not.

Where is this quarter-sized spot located? You may be able to design your beard around it. Sooner or later, you'll have to trim it up, and if its on your cheek or the perimeter of your neck, just start your beard line at that point.

Back in the day when I grew beards, it would always come in much heavier on one side than the other. I referred to it as the "Jekyll and Hyde" look. It took quite a while for the Jekyll side to catch up enough that it was worth trimming, but by then, the Hyde side was over-grown and looking pretty scruffy.

Ever since then, the longest I've gone without shaving is 2.5 weeks, for this past MoVember. And the only reason I shaved it half-way through the month was because I was itching too much, and I couldn't stand it any longer.

I concur with this advice I wore a beard off and on for 10 years till I got married.

I have just been using a buzzer with a guard to trim he sides down, and been growing out the goat and stache.

And yeah, if you want some type of facial hair, don't shave for a week or two, then decide where the strong points are and go with something that highlights them.

RIP GOATEE AND MUSTACHE. My toolbag boss said our company strictly only allows mustaches or cleanly shaven. Apparently the company rule book hasn't been updated since the 70s... So I shaved the whole thing. I personally feel that after about the age of 40, a man can have a mustache and it not look offensive. But me... As a 24 year old... In my eyes; makes me look like an 'offender'.

Top Bottom